The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD15 Question

Hi,
I'm interested in one of the Sigma reflex cameras but also have reasons to wonder if it might not be the wrong thing for me.
The prices of very clean SD15's are attractive.
I know there are folks on this forum who know way more them about Sigma cameras so I want to ask.

Is the SD15 one of the cameras to stay away from? Is it one of those that has bad highlight clipping problems?

Thank you!

Robert

Hulyss Bowman

Hi,
I'm interested in one of the Sigma reflex cameras but also have reasons to wonder if it might not be the wrong thing for me.
I know there are folks on this forum who know way more them about Sigma cameras so I want to ask.

Is the SD15 one of the cameras to stay away from? Is it one of those that has bad highlight clipping problems?

Thank you!

Robert
Hello Robert,

The SD15 are very good cameras especially with the latest firmware. The AF isn't top notch but the IQ with the correct lenses is 95% on par with what can output a DP2 (non Merrill). For the actual prices it is a bargain. If you can live without live-view it is ok. For me it is a better camera than the SD1 to make pictures. The SD1 as a better built but somehow the Merrill is "expensive" to resolve with DSLR lenses. The SD15 is easier and will output some of the "naturalest" foveon colours you ever experienced, especially skins.

xpatUSA

Robert
Probably too late responding to be of any help.

The SD15 has what is called an Analog Front End chip (AFE), same as the DP1x and 2x.

The effect of the AFE is that the raw data can get blown at any ISO setting, even when the sensor itself is not over-exposed. On the other hand, the prior model SD14 had no AFE, that is to say if the ISO is increased, the raw data is reduced by the same ratio and SPP does the multiplication needed to restore the right brightness.

So with the SD14 and earlier DSLRs you can get "headroom" by shooting at a higher ISO and more highlights can be recovered in post by cranking the EC slider to the left. No such luck with the SD15 so recovery of a poor shot is less likely.

No fault of the camera but people can get lazy and then complain about how easy it is to blow highlights with the SD15.

SD15 colors are said to be very good, much better than my SD14.

The Quattro also has an AFE. Merrills do not.

Just sayin'

Hulyss Bowman

The Analogue Front End of the SD15 is a problem, like the Quattro. But at least the SD15 isn't expensive and noiseless at base ISO and give you the most naturalness DSLR skin tones ever. The last firmware of the SD15 give you more amplitude in both ISO and DR. An old example featuring the DP2s. The more I look at my old Sigma stuff the more the new stuff look false. The DP2s was a marvelous device with flash I have thousands and thousands of files out of those cameras and the Quattro do not even come close in term of naturalness, crystallinity. The Merrill is just in an another world (but keep the crystalline/true to life rendering).

Quattro DP are too girly and metro sexual to my taste, after all.

This was done with the kit zoom I think. It show how easy it is to blow highlights too.

No fault of the camera but people can get lazy and then complain about how easy it is to blow highlights with the SD15.
That's just BS. The poor metering of the SD15 + the AFE make it EXTREMELY easy to blow out the highlights. Call me lazy and I slap you in the face with a large trout.

Last edited:

Stoneage

So what we want is:
-the colors and cleanliness (at base ISO) of the SD15
-the body of the SD1
-the highlight headroom of the SD14
-the resolution of the Merrills, and if we separate luminance and color: luminance resolution of the Quattro

The only solution: full frame Foveon with moderate megapixels

Hulyss Bowman

Michihiro Yamaki, founder of Sigma and father of Kasuto Yamaki, would have done that Stoneage. His vision of the camera department was not fantasy like his son. The Merrill and the SD1 was Michihiro work, not his son. His son was just the salesman. Now we see his son "playing" and experimenting and betraying the original 1/1/1 concept that you CAN'T mimic.

xpatUSA

That's just BS. The poor metering of the SD15 + the AFE make it EXTREMELY easy to blow out the highlights.
Several months later, this response is just as irritating as when it first appeared.

I would therefore remind the Gentleman that his inability to use his SD15 effectively does NOT represent any BS on my part.

Call me lazy and I slap you in the face with a large trout.
Not even close to funny - must have suffered in the translation.

xpatUSA

Hi,

Thank you!

Robert
Absolutely not, Robert!

I just bought one new-in-box for $525 :D

Amazed to find that it has the same 460,000 dot LCD as the SD1 Merrill. Also the Q button has two 'pages', again like the Merrills.

Too late to advise but, if you find one, buy it.

Ted

hi Ted,
Thank you the good information on the SD15 and analog front end(s). The SD15 can still be found at a lovely price!
I do like the results from the Sigmas.
I appreciate the help.
Robert