The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro H

capital

Now with the SD Q release, would be good to know if the sd Q has the one stop noise improvement over the dp Q, as was indicated in the prior CP+ coverage.

I have tried the dp2Q and the dp0Q but SPP does not reveal as much highlight and detail from the Q files versus the third party converter called "kalpanika." That has me concerned about buying into the Q system if Sigma does not want to commit enough resources towards the software processing side of things.

Malina DZ

Some samples. The good old time of the Merrill samples (whoooo!!! haaaaa !!! damnnnn !!!) is definitively gone. Not even at the modern Xtrans level ...
インプレッション | sd Quattro | カメラ | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION
Thanks for a link, Hulyss. That image gallery is loading painfully slow as if a preamble to SPP. And I agree with you, there is no longer any Merrill-Foveon magic in Quattro files.
It seems to me as if Sigma does not care how well SD Quattro will sell. The company just wants to have a modern stylish mirrorless body in its arsenal for lens ad campaigns.
Hope, my dp2M lasts till an announcement of a Foveon X3 36x24mm or larger sensor.

SD Q first impressions from Reviewed.com: Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Cameras

biglouis

Somewhere else someone made the claim that existing crop sensor lenses by Sigma will not cover the entire area of the APS-H sensor.

Does anyone know if this is true? I only ask because wide-angle is pretty important to me but most of the UWA/WA lenses in Sigma mount (even if you can find someone selling them) for full frame are pretty big.

My ideal would be to use the 10-30 f3.5.

Not serious about owning a Quattro H, or at least not until I see the output and especially what the new DNG format (which would finally open up Lightroom) is like.

LouisB

xpatUSA

Somewhere else someone made the claim that existing crop sensor lenses by Sigma will not cover the entire area of the APS-H sensor.

Does anyone know if this is true?

LouisB
Hello Louis,

It's not a yes/no subject unfortunately, i.e. do they cover the entire area or not? From what I've read on the other site (DPR) the inevitable vignetting of some DC lenses is less significant than others; additionally, some zooms are said to be OK at some zoom settings, but not all.

So, even though their 'H' sensor is quite a bit smaller than the defined APS standard, your decision to wait makes good sense to me.

best,

Ted

apsphoto

I haven't seen this before - H will come out with a DNG recording format (No compression RAW Data 12-bit) and Q will get a FW update for this feature in future!
http://sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/specifications/

BTW, are there any other cameras with EVF featuring custom overlay like 21:9?
But from the spec they DNG will be only 12bit, standard compressed raw is 14bit, so you might lose some dynamic range.....

I wish Sigma would do what Fuji does and upgrade the stand alone Quattros with the DNG output, but those are pretty much dead products I am afraid.

Alan

biglouis

I wish Sigma would do what Fuji does and upgrade the stand alone Quattros with the DNG output, but those are pretty much dead products I am afraid.

Alan
I'm intrigued - are they dead products? Did I miss something? Just asking.

LouisB

xpatUSA

But from the spec they DNG will be only 12bit, standard compressed raw is 14bit, so you might lose some dynamic range.....
If posts on the other forum are anything to go by, Alan, those two bits will not be sadly missed . . :rolleyes:

Alan
The other day I was quite surprised how long the Quattros have been out. How time flies . . ..

Ted

Stoneage

Somewhere else someone made the claim that existing crop sensor lenses by Sigma will not cover the entire area of the APS-H sensor.¨
Sigma makes APS-C and Full frame lenses. They don't make APS-H lenses. Why should they? Nobody makes APS-H sensors, except them selves, but they don't make money with Sigma-mount lenses. So every APS-C lens on the sd Quattro "H" is a compromise with strong vignetting and mediocre sharpness.

Hulyss Bowman

Our constant whining made SIGMA progress over the past months. There is a long way to go to make it usable as a 2016 "mirror less" camera. I used one normal Quattro some days ago and it was not exciting. The guy was not sure if he should keep it or not but I was the final nail in the coffin, so he returned it.

Nothing will change in the H experience. The IQ will be what should have been normal SDQ IQ, so less noise at base iso due to higher photo sites density.

Of course only FF lenses will take advantage of the sensor, APS-C lenses will force a crop mode.

The DNG thing is a good move to get rid of useless X3F but still... it is not that good yet.

In one/two years we might see new DP iterations more in line with what was a DP, at first ...

Hope they'll abandon prehistoric EVF and make a real APS-H rangefinder and full 14 bit DNG output.

apsphoto

I'm intrigued - are they dead products? Did I miss something? Just asking.

LouisB
Just my opinion but if you look at Sigma when a new product comes out all the upgrades go to the new one. They never go back and work on the older cameras. If there was a critical bug they might, but since the SDQ is out and the SDQH there will no improvement in the plain Quattros. Just like the Merrills have faded into the closet...

It does not mean that the cameras stop working just Sigma does nothing else to improve them.

Alan

Oren Grad

Thanks, Louis! Small world dept: noticed that the reviewer is master printer for Ming Thein.

Looking forward to the next installment(s)...

Last edited: