The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SD Quattro early lemon review -

ggibson

Maybe I'm missing something, but I disagree that the Quattro shadows are worse than Merrill. From comparisons I've seen of the various DP Qs (not test charts only, but dark and light areas of real-world scenes both under and over exposed), the Quattro shadows are pretty similar to Merrill. Sigma claimed the Q had better low light performance, and I'd say Merrill output has a bit more color splotches in those dark areas, but they are close enough to be on the same level I think. Overall, from what I have seen compared of Quattro vs. Merrill, Q always has better colors whereas the M usually has a stronger micro-contrast bite to it. That is very general though, and certainly some prefer one or the other. On the whole, I think both retain a look that is completely different from Bayer. I was not disappointed by the Q look in the least when I had one, and in fact I prefer it in A/B comparisons usually (against M).

Now when it comes to the SD Q, I'd really be surprised if the output was significantly different from any of the DP Qs. The SD Q with 30/1.4 should be pretty similar to a DP2Q at f8. I'll wait to see that comparison, but now that they're shipping units out I'd expect to see one soon.

In any case, as LC posts, Sigma's major failing is SPP. I can't imagine what it'd be like editing a 400mb x3i file, yikes. Even 60MB Q raws are taxing on my brand new computer. Well, SPP 6.4 hasn't crashed on me yet at least when I've revisited my old DP2Q shots. But this step in post processing is painful enough that I've stuck with Sony cameras for now. The keeper rate can be really low, and it takes so much effort to go through your shots after the fact. Sometimes I think the SPPain is worth it though. Those shots that I NAILED with the DP2 Q are really beautiful and special.

Hulyss Bowman

When you stop pointing out the blatant flaws of the "Faux-Veon", aka Quattro, you'll see many threads titled : " I love my Quattro camera", "I just love my SD-Q ......." or "SD Quattro first run. A fantastic camera" or "Fastest Sigma Camera Yet" ...

Of course, those threads are supported by some ugly pictures, in the photographic world of today.

But a guy came with this picture : http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg

What can we say ? I'm in love with my 1.5MP X530. Of course this example isn't very representative but let say the X530 is a velvia digital camera (like the SD9). It give you something unmatchable by other cameras, at all level : A soul.

Same goes for other cameras straight to the SD14.

Of course the Merrill have his own merits but when we come to the Faux-Veon... It's like the picture was took with an another brand camera.

So of course some self proclaimed morons (it need courage) try, desperately, to defend the quattro :D saying that it is not fair for the quattro because the exposure isn't the same blablabla ... SHUT UP !! Sharpness noise and details have NOTHING to do with exposure or a cloud in the sky. Like the Merrill, it is all about steadyness and since those cameras was on a tripod, we can't "arg".

This camera have lost every bits of originality and authenticity. The picture who look "fine" on the web, as you should all know, have been heavily processed.

Have a go on the Bay and buy yourself an X530. You'll see what I mean. You'll enjoy this camera, far more than any quattro or art lenses just because you snaps will have the true foveon soul.

http://www.jansphotoblog.de/reviews/cameras-2/cameras/

Quentin_Bargate

X530 at just 1.5mp is pushing it. A Merril has 15mp of Foveon goodness, and in combo with a compact pano head, does it almost all.

The Quattro is junk. Let's forget about it and move on.

biglouis

X530 at just 1.5mp is pushing it. A Merril has 15mp of Foveon goodness, and in combo with a compact pano head, does it almost all.

The Quattro is junk. Let's forget about it and move on.
Steady on Quentin :)

There has been some good stuff posted in the Facebook Sigma Camera Users Group from early adopter of the SDQ.

And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q. In fact as I will announce shortly my first published book coming out in September features a number of photographs taken with the DP0Q which turned out fine.

Just saying.

Tim

And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q.
Louis, how do you find carrying the DP0Q? Does it go in a bag or backpack, and during shooting does it feel large on a strap?
As the shape of the thing is long in both direction of lens and body it seems it may be somewhat unwieldy compared to the Merrills.
Of course in fairness there is no 21mm equiv Merrill so its a unique thing.

Quentin_Bargate

Steady on Quentin :)

There has been some good stuff posted in the Facebook Sigma Camera Users Group from early adopter of the SDQ.

And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q. In fact as I will announce shortly my first published book coming out in September features a number of photographs taken with the DP0Q which turned out fine.

Just saying.
Louis

You're taking good shots despite, not because of, the Quattro!

I may look at the weird Higher resolution HD Quattro, or whatever it is called, when released out of curiosity.

digi2ap

Louis, how do you find carrying the DP0Q? Does it go in a bag or backpack, and during shooting does it feel large on a strap?
As the shape of the thing is long in both direction of lens and body it seems it may be somewhat unwieldy compared to the Merrills.
Not replying on behalf of Louis but I too had a DP0Q out of curiosity for the wider angle that it offered over the Merrill's. I found the shape unwieldy, the body was plasticky and I really disliked using the LVF-01 so bought the VF-51 viewfinder instead. Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent. I sold it and then bought an SD1 Merrill instead which I've been pleasantly surprised by given what I'd read about slowness and auto focus issues. The VF-51 is still unsold should anyone be interested in what is a high quality optical viewfinder.

furtle

Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent.
This is it in a nutshell. The moment one deviates from very good light, ISO 100, apertures smaller than f6.3 (for my dp0Q) it all goes to rat sh!t. In specific conditions the Quattro will do well and make good photos and occasionally make exceptional photos. And as for images of people in general street scenes, I've yet to see a good image from a Quattro. See these grabs from the link Hulyss posted above http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg They are typical of what I get even in good light. The SD1(M) is much better in the link provided. I'm now extremely selective of what I photo with my Quattro and unless the Gods line up and everything is perfect, I don't bother even trying.

Finally, below is a sd Quattro photo by Lea Tippett posted on DPreview. I think the setting and the composition are excellent, the colours and exposure are dramatic but the technical quality of the image leave me cold. When I saw it was low light and shot at f/11 at 1/5 sec with a Quattro, I knew straight away what to expect when looking at the photo a bit closer. Perhaps under these low light conditions all cameras would struggle and I'm being unfair to Lea and Sigma for posting this but it is instructive. Photo below with some 100% screen grabs under.

Quentin_Bargate

Nice shot, ruined by the camera.

You could take the same shot at 1600 or 3200ISO on the Pentax KI and get much better blotch free results. At 200ISO it would be essentially noiseless. Use pixel shift with the KI and what minimal noise there is, if any, will be eliminated, and you get an image comparable with a 60 or 70mp Bayer sensor.

This is it in a nutshell. The moment one deviates from very good light, ISO 100, apertures smaller than f6.3 (for my dp0Q) it all goes to rat sh!t. In specific conditions the Quattro will do well and make good photos and occasionally make exceptional photos. And as for images of people in general street scenes, I've yet to see a good image from a Quattro. See these grabs from the link Hulyss posted above http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg They are typical of what I get even in good light. The SD1(M) is much better in the link provided. I'm now extremely selective of what I photo with my Quattro and unless the Gods line up and everything is perfect, I don't bother even trying.

furtle

You could take the same shot at 1600 or 3200ISO on the Pentax KI and get much better blotch free results. At 200ISO it would be essentially noiseless. Use pixel shift with the KI and what minimal noise there is, if any, will be eliminated, and you get an image comparable with a 60 or 70mp Bayer sensor.
Hello Quentin, Thanks for your comments. Dunno about pixel shift with a panting dawg!

Do you mean blotching in the background of the dog shot?

biglouis

I've got used to the fact that it is unwieldy and I generally take it out on its own in a small sized crumpler bag which it occupies quite well. I also need to take my Lee ND grad as well. I look on it as being my 4x5 equivalent camera. You'd pretty much have to take that out on its own, as well.

Not replying on behalf of Louis but I too had a DP0Q out of curiosity for the wider angle that it offered over the Merrill's. I found the shape unwieldy, the body was plasticky and I really disliked using the LVF-01 so bought the VF-51 viewfinder instead. Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent. I sold it and then bought an SD1 Merrill instead which I've been pleasantly surprised by given what I'd read about slowness and auto focus issues. The VF-51 is still unsold should anyone be interested in what is a high quality optical viewfinder.
It is surprisingly plasticky. The LVF-01 is an acquired taste, I quite like mine.

True but I am never going to buy another camera of that price without an EVF. These old analogue viewfinder cameras need to be consigned to the last century where they belong :)

Why on earth N and C have not given us a world-class mirror less interchangeable camera is beyond me.

LouisB

biglouis

Finally, below is a sd Quattro photo by Lea Tippett posted on DPreview. I think the setting and the composition are excellent, the colours and exposure are dramatic but the technical quality of the image leave me cold. When I saw it was low light and shot at f/11 at 1/5 sec with a Quattro, I knew straight away what to expect when looking at the photo a bit closer. Perhaps under these low light conditions all cameras would struggle and I'm being unfair to Lea and Sigma for posting this but it is instructive. Photo below with some 100% screen grabs under.

Steve

The last time I saw grain like that it was at Don McCullin's 80th birthday exhibition where they were asking £10,000 or more for the print. That did include a frame, as well.

Just saying.

LouisB

Stoneage

Hello Quentin, Thanks for your comments. Dunno about pixel shift with a panting dawg!

Do you mean blotching in the background of the dog shot?
I'm sure he meant the landscape shot, not the dog. The dog photo looks good.
A very nice and friendly looking companion, by the way. :)

furtle

I'm sure he meant the landscape shot, not the dog. The dog photo looks good.
A very nice and friendly looking companion, by the way. :)
Ah, ok. Not the pic of the mutt. She's great. I was looking after her whilst her owners were on their hols. She's very friendly unless you're a rabbit in range; then she's deadly.

furtle

Back on a serious note, here is a very honest review of the Faux-veon :

Eugene Fratkin Photo Blog: Sigma SD Quattro Review
Thanks for finding this pretty blunt review. Other than what look like focusing problems, a couple of lines stood out for me:

"If one is able to avoid shadows, high dynamic range, direct light and fine detail with high contrast, Quattro images are very sharp with high resolution and contrast."
This is very true of my dp0 Quattro.

On the 1:1:4 sensor " it represents a cop out for Foveon sensor model and clear move towards Bayer-like architecture.

Of course, when moving towards Bayer sensor all subtleties of working with Bayer sensor also become relevant. Words like "moire", which used to be be dirty words in Sigma forums, are better become very familiar to Sigma users."