The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD14

PSon

Since I bought the Sinar multi-shots back I figure the SD14 would be an interesting camera to compare with the 4 shots mode. Once both systems arrived, I would like to see how they fair out. Anyone else out there is into Sigma SD14 besides me?

PSon

I would like to see how the Sigma SD14 files measure up to the Leica M8 file. If anyone has this experience, I would love to hear it.

Attachments

PSon

Ok, I guess I am going solo on this one. I got the camera but no lens yet. I am looking into the Sigma lens and the macro lens seems to be a great choice. I know we can convert some of the Canon EF lens to Sigma SA mount. The question is which Canon EF lens can be converted to Sigma SA mount?

PSon

Victor,
Yes I have adapter plate interface for the Rollei 6008 and Contax 645 systems. But in order to use this Sinar 54H digital back in multi-shot I have to tape the mirror up.
Son

PSon

Ok, I finally got some sleep and took the first test image of the SD14 at ISO 50 with the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. The noise is extremely well control with this first sample and the color seems accurate for AWB. I need to work on the resolution next. More test to come later. The Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 was shot at F2.0.

PSon

When using medium format digital back especially with the 9 micron pixel size, I have encountered moire problems. I want to see if the Foveon Sensor can eliminate the moire phenonemon. In this test, I do not see the common moire problems, color and patterns. The image was also underexposed by 2.5 f stops and was compensated in the post process. I used the Rodenstock lens and my customed auto bellows to acquired the image. The f stop was wide open at F5.6 if stop down the lens would be even sharper. No sharpening was applied to the image.

robsteve

Subscriber
I just took a look at the Sigma SD14 site. It took a lot of digging to find the specs.

How big are the files from it? How do the files look now that you have had a chance to shoot with it a bit?

Robert

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ok, I finally got some sleep and took the first test image of the SD14 at ISO 50 with the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. The noise is extremely well control with this first sample and the color seems accurate for AWB. I need to work on the resolution next. More test to come later. The Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 was shot at F2.0.
Have I understood you correctly? Did you mount the Leica lens on the SD14? If so, How did you do that? Is there an adapter available?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jorgen, meet Son... Son has custom adapters to mount almost anything to almost everything else :D

PSon

SD14 ISO 50 + Apo-Rodagon-D 5.6/120 @ F8 and no sharpening was applied.

Last edited:

PSon

I just took a look at the Sigma SD14 site. It took a lot of digging to find the specs.

How big are the files from it? How do the files look now that you have had a chance to shoot with it a bit?

Robert
Rob,
The file with 16 bit is 26.7 MB or its dimension is 2640x1760
Son

PSon

What I like about the Apo-Rodagon-D 5.6/120 on the SD14 is the accuracy of colors, clarity and resolution in close macro distance.

PSon

RobSteve,
You asked me before somewhere regarding to the larger image circle of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. Here is the stitch two shots, center (left) and right shift all the way to the end of the image circle (right). The right side of this stitched image show that the Leica Apo-Summicron-R is sharp all the way to the border of the image circle but vignetting and distortion start to appear (see images below). The image was taken at F2.0 and no sharpening was applied. The image was resize for web upload.
Son

Last edited:

PSon

here at closer magnification, the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 start to attenuate resolution and increasing color shift with a gain of less distortion (see images). This time the image was a result of left shift, center and right shift frames. Due to diffraction limit on smaller sensor size, I attempt to use the biggest aperature as possible but compromise for depth of field due to close up macro distance. In this case the image below was stitched together from 3 images at F8. Again, there is no sharpening applied.

Last edited:

PSon

Again, the Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 is extremely sharp wide open but when using it or any other non macro lens beyond its optimal close distance, the color shift is increased (go back and compare the images presented above from the Leica versus the Rodenstock lens). This is why I am not a big fan of using extension tube to get closer to my subject if the lens is not a macro lens. On the other hand the duplicated, enlarging, and macro lens shines in extremely close up distance and the more the extension tube length is added the better the results in general; all lens are optimized at certain magnification ratio and any deviation from it will lead to optical aberrations.
-Son

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
How are you doing the shifts with the Leica lens? I assume you loose infinity with your shift adapter.

PSon

How are you doing the shifts with the Leica lens? I assume you loose infinity with your shift adapter.
Robert,
I wanted to answer your question and due to the time constraint, I designed a quick setup to shift my SD14 camera instead of the lens so I can stitch easily on PS. In this setup, I attempted to prove the theory that no matter how good the lens is, if the lens is not a macro lens the color will shift and the resolution will attenuate in a positive relationship to the length of the extension tube. I then compare these results with the Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon-D (D for Duplication and N for englarging) 5.6/120.

When I get the chance again, I will characterize the outer edge of the image circle of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 at infinity for you.

-Son

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, meet Son... Son has custom adapters to mount almost anything to almost everything else :D
Ah... I see. That's good to know :)

Am I right in assuming that a converter from R to Sigma needs a lens element to enable infinity focus?

Last edited:

PSon

Jorgen,
There is no element involve in the adaptation for the Leica R lens to the Sigma body.
Son