The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Rolleiflex Users/Owners Here?

Evanjoe610

Tim,

I suggested the Rolleiflex 3.5T model as a good and more modern way to approach a Rolleiflex. The 2.8s and anything from 3.5E2,E3 and F would cost you an arm and a leg. I guess that not being in the market for another Rolleiflex, I would not be the best person regarding prices. I checked eBay and see that the prices are a bt high and not so many TLRs as previously.

Another choice for an inexpensive way into the Rolleiflex TLR world is an MX.
The Rolleiflex MX is a similar camera as the Rolleiflex T, just made earlier.
It would have the same similar characteristics as the T's optic which is a Tessar 3.5.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but did you check Koh's Camera & LeCamera? Just not sure if it is guarantee NOT to require a CLA. You could always ask...

http://www.lecameraonline.com/category_s/30.htm

If I come across any leads, I will PM you if that is the best way.

Evan

micek

I have had a Rolleiflex GX, which I sold because it was no better than a Rolleiflex C that I still have, but my favourite Rollei is my Rolleicord V (with a maxwell screen): it is smaller, lighter, just as well built and optically as proficient as the 'flexes (I don't enlarge beyond 12x12"), and a good deal cheaper.

jlm

Workshop Member
Tim:

i have a rolleicord #1,195,684, 3.5 Schneider, Model III, 1920-1953. with leather case, (case a bit rough)
in working order, not too bad cosmetically. you could have it for $100.

also a rolleiflex 3.5F, T2225647, 3.5 Tessar, 3.5F Model 1, 1958-1960 in excellent shape, with lens hood! this one is $500

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
PM sent to JLM.

Tim:

i have a rolleicord #1,195,684, 3.5 Schneider, Model III, 1920-1953. with leather case, (case a bit rough)
in working order, not too bad cosmetically. you could have it for $100.

also a rolleiflex 3.5F, T2225647, 3.5 Tessar, 3.5F Model 1, 1958-1960 in excellent shape, with lens hood! this one is $500

jlm

Workshop Member
man...dug out my rollei's cleaned them up a bit...got all wistful. but now Tim needs something else.

now i just need to find some Tri-x 120

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Maybe that's not such a bad thing. We may have the beginnings of a movement here!

I'm still in pursuit (sorry it wasn't a perfect fit JLM) and lining up the other ducks... I found darkroom space I can rent (very hard to find out here in the puckerbrush). I'm pretty excited about my re-entry to film.

charlesphoto

Don't get a T (tessar). An F isn't that much more (the price of a new 35mm prime lens) and you'll be shooting with much better glass. And don't discount the Xenotar over the Planar. Many feel that the Xenotar is actually the better lens, plus you'll typically save about 30%. Always worked for me.

And budget in a bright screen. Makes it a very modern camera.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the advice charlesphoto. I am planning to have a Maxwell screen installed at some point (assuming deal for the 2.8F goes through). Do you have a preferred repair guy?

Tim

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Tim,

I highly recommend the Rolleiflex 3.5F, with either Planar or Xenotar lens. Personally, I prefer the 75mm focal length than the 80mm, although 75mm is not that much wider. I have been using an 3.5F, with Zeiss lens, for over 15 years now. It is one of my favorite cameras. Very easy and fun to use and it has an almost 'silent' shutter. The 75/3,5 Zeiss Planar lens is extremely sharp. You should be able to find a copy between $600-$800. Also, a bright screen will help a great deal. I have been using my 3.5F more and more last year - really go back to film!

Kind regards,

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Cindy,

Regarding the scanner, I have been using the Nikon 9000ED since it came out. I am very happy with it. To get the best scanning results, the glass film carriers, which Nikon makes two, should be considered. Since I mount most of my slides in Gape glass mounts for projection, I have not had a need to use the Nikon's glass carriers. Nikon does provide a film carrier for mounted MF slides.

Kind regards,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Ocean! I think if I wasn't under a certain amount of time pressure I'd do some more research and some more shopping. But unless the offer I've made on the 2.8F is rejected, that will be the one. And since I'm not one to buy and sell a lot, it's likely to be the only one! :thumbup:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Tim,

You will enjoy using the 2.8F. I highly recommend that you install a Maxwell screen at some point.

Kind regards,

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I find the maxwell screen essential. Even with a maxwell screen, my 3.5E is still quite dim and requires the magnifier to focus. Mine is not in the greatest condition (it was an ebay bargain), but Nippon Photo Clinic brought it back to working condition. To be honest, I don't use it very much. I like the look, but I prefer either using the hasseblad or mamiya. It is definitely small and has a nice lens (to be honest, it's nicer in bokeh than it is in resolution), but I find it awkward to use and the results are not up to the mamiya or FE glass. I view it more as a novelty. Anyway, not trying to ruffle any feathers, I just wanted to add a mildly dissenting view to keep things balanced!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have it mind to get the Maxwell installed, I've only heard great things about it.

And I understand a dissenting view. I may even come to share it. But for now my excitement is high. I like the silent shutter and the simplicity of owning a one-lens-only rig. I think a certain amount of conditioning and pigeon-holing is going on for me regarding the Hasselblad. I only ever seemed to use it in the studio, and then on a tripod. I hated the mirror slap and blackout. It was a beautiful thing though. A precision instrument built like a tank and I gave it serious consideration recently before deciding on the Rollei. In the end, the Rollei provides me with an elegant return to film. The one camera that appealed to me enough to jump back through the associated hoops.

Time will tell.

Irenaeus

Tim,

If your offer on a 2.8F doesn't work out, I have a 3.5F just back from Harry Fleenor that I might be willing to part with. I haven't even totaled up what I've got in it, but that wouldn't take long to do.

It's an interesting camera. It was made in 1961, is metered and has the prism viewer which gives an upright and non reversed image. Harry did a complete overhaul complete with with all the subtle adjustments to bring it to factory specs (he worked for Rollei, bought out all their calibrating equipment when they closed down operations in the USA and has had over 40 years of experience with their cameras. He installed a Maxwell screen and replaced all the leather, too. He says the lens on this one is particularly fine. I also have the not easily found leather case that's made for the camera with the prism finder mounted and it's in excellent shape as well. I do not, however, have the more usual alternative folding finder, only the prism finder, but those aren't hard to come by.

I haven't yet put even one roll of film through it but find myself with more on my plate than I can completely handle right now, and so am reluctantly willing to consider its sale.

All the best,

Irenaeus

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That sounds terrific! My deal is still pending since the owner is obligated to give a first refusal to an interested party who began negotiations before I arrived on the scene. So I may still lose it. Meanwhile, I've been looking for alternatives. Yours sounds great. If you have the energy and want to calculate a price, please send it to me via PM here on the forum.

Thanks Irenaeus!
Tim

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,

Regarding the scanner, I have been using the Nikon 9000ED since it came out. I am very happy with it. To get the best scanning results, the glass film carriers, which Nikon makes two, should be considered. Since I mount most of my slides in Gape glass mounts for projection, I have not had a need to use the Nikon's glass carriers. Nikon does provide a film carrier for mounted MF slides.

Kind regards,
Thanks, Ocean.
I will look into the Nikon 9000ED as soon as I find my Rollei. I have been very happy with my Nikon V ED, so this should be a good upgrade for me.
Regards,

jlm

Workshop Member
found differing callouts based on the serial number. the first data was from siufai site, the below from the rollei club: the ser# makes it to be the K8 T3, made from 1966-1976

"Rolleiflex T, Models 1 -3

1. Model K8 T1
October 1958 - June 1961, 56,000 pieces with gray leather
Serials: T2.100.00 - T2.155.999
1A. Model K8 T24*
June 1961, only 250 pieces, gray
Serials: T2.156.000 - T2.156.249
3. Model K8 T2
July 1961 - July 1966, 43.000 pieces, black leather
Serials: T2.157.000 - T2.199.999
4. Model K8 T3**
July 1966 - August 1976, 28,000 pieces, black leather
Serials: T2.200.000 - T2.320.449
Taking Lens:
Tessar 3,5/75mm, for eastern Europe: Opton Te 3,4/75mm, both by Zeiss Oberkochen, Bayonet 1
Finder lens:
Zeiss Heidosmat 2,8/75mm, Bayonet 1
Shutter**:
Synchro Compur MXV, 1 - 1/500 sec., B, X-sync., self timer.
Film: 120 for 12 exp. 6x6, also (from # 2.151.000 only) 16 exp. 4.5x6 or 4x4 and 35mm adapter Rolleikin 2. Special order: taking 220 film for 12 or 24 exposures.
Film Transportation: winding lever, film marker in film chamber, exposure counter for exposures 1-12. Blank film pressure plate.
Can come with or without built on exposure metering.
Dimensions: 11.2x9.7x17.8cm.
Weight: 1,020 grams.
Can not be used with Rolleimarin.

*Model K8 T24: Special order, only prepared for exposure metering, 12 or 24 exposures 6x6.
**Model K8 T3: Synchro Compur VX shutter 1 - 1/500 sec., B, X-sync., self timer."