The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Rolleiflex Users/Owners Here?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
To close the loop on this thread, I've just finalized a deal on a Rolleiflex 2.8F. The camera is pristine and I couldn't be more excited. While it wasn't the least expensive sample I found, the cost pales in comparison to any of the digital MF systems that had begun to tempt me. Therefore, I have rationalized this as an example of thrift in our "new" economy. :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It worked with my wife, see no reason to think it can't work for you too! And by the way Cindy, don't you have a little something to share too?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That Rolleiflex is a pure beauty! Have fun and make sure to share some pics with us.
Thanks! I will certainly share some once I work through the steps of getting a digital version to post. And by the way, your beautiful MF images posted in this forum were a big part of my inspiration to buy this camera. If I can do half as well, I'll be very pleased.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That Rolleiflex is a pure beauty! Have fun and make sure to share some pics with us.
I second Tim, your photos have been an inspiration to me, too.

It worked with my wife, see no reason to think it can't work for you too! And by the way Cindy, don't you have a little something to share too?
:ROTFL:

Yes, I must confess! I have a F2.8 on the way (pic below from seller), too. It is not a shelf-queen like Tim's, but I'm looking forward to putting my user through her paces. I'll have to get my scanner situation sorted before I can post.

Thanks to everyone who posted the good info and links on this thread....much appreciated.

Evanjoe610

Congratulations to both Tim and Cindy,

Both cameras are a beauty to behold and you would be more then please to work with such a fine mechanical camera. I personally like the 2.8s over the 3.5. Many photographers had said that the 3.5 is sharper and that is true. However in dim lighting condition,the final end result will show the smooth bokeh of the 2.8.

Look for the many accessories for these cameras such as the Rolleipol (polarizer filter), pistol grip with quick release, scissor strap, meter cover (if your is still active and somewhat accurate),rolleinar (closeup lenses for portraits) and the Rollei filters. B+W and Heliopan makes filters for the entire Bay 1 to Bay 4 filters for the Rolleiflex TLR. The polarizer filter are available, but are very expensive.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Evan

jlm

Workshop Member
you will love these babies. it is such a treat to dive into that ground glass, makes any other camera look like a peep show. that soft shutter click is super.

now go out and get some 2-1/4 tanks and film rolls, HC-110 and tri-x. you may need a practice film roll until you get used to loading onto the reel in a changing bag

maybe i'll post a pic of my 3.5 with its cute hood...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for your encouragement Evan and Jlm. I do intend to pick up a few odds and ends, including tank and reels. But aside from a handheld lightmeter (just to take me all the way back to my old days and even if the camera meter is still accurate) and a plate for my ball head, there isn't much I want to add to the camera. Which is genuinely a part of the appeal. No lenses to drool over, just a simple, quiet, self-contained camera with enough quality to the lens and build to make it more than adequate for most things I want to shoot. Hopefully. :thumbup:

Evanjoe610

That is the beauty of the Rolleiflex TLR and most probably for all fixed lens MF cameras.
Using exactly what you to achieve the final image. I use the quick release portion from the pistol grip when I need to tripod mount the camera. Otherwise, just some filters (protection!), lenshood, and scissor strap when using the camera. I shot more color transparency film and scan them in.

Enjoy your new camera.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Helen and nei1!

p.s Helen, you know you want that Hassy for sale for $675, that's a beautiful thing too. Just add back! (no affiliation with seller).

emmawest72

Cindy & Tim: Many thanks for those kind words.

Well, like you are both happy new owners jus load it up with some Tri-x or portra or fuji stuff. I would really recommend a handheld meter and that's all you need. No more cables, adapters, batteries, etc. Just you , camera and some film!!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Alas, I'm running squarely into the time lag of analog. I have shot a couple rolls of Tri-x, but have no scanner to make them into one and zeros. When I return from vacation I'll get busy with that part of the process.

But hey, did I mention I love this camera? I installed a Maxwell Bright screen and holy cow it makes a huge difference. My next favorite thing is the shutter--so quiet!

Tim

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm still on the first roll. I need to get my scanner situation squared away and my Rollei is going off to Harry F for a CLA.

Right now I'm participating in the 14 day challenge over at RFF. This is day 2 of using only one camera and one lens for 14 days. I chose MP4 and my Summarex. I wish I could have used the Rollei, but with no scanner, I didn't think I could comply to the rules....so, it will be a few more weeks before the Rollei is in full operation.