The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro Images

scho

Here is the result of using all 7 extracted files in Aurora.

and for reference the 7 shot composite processed in SPP 6.4, complete with motion artifacts.

and finally, one extracted file (#4, 0 EVF) from the SFD x3i

Last edited:

scho

Carl, is this a single frame shot? How much post processing did you do in SPP? I notice green/magenta pattern noise there without zooming into 100%.
Yes, single x3f shot. Not much PP outside of SPP. I don't see any pronounced green/magenta noise looking at 100%. Most of the green is lichens and algae on the tree bark.

scho

Another long exposure SFD still life in low light. Processed from the 7 shot x3i file in SPP 6.4 and then quite a bit of adjustment in LR. These files can take a lot of abuse in post processing without generating too much noise.

scho

SFD mode and SPP have some bugs to iron out even for still life scenes. Check out highlights on the watermelon:

View attachment 120545
That is not a bug. Human error on my part for exposing while light from window was changing. I could of corrected by excluding the frame with the burned out specular highlight in this OOF area when processing the x3i file. Here is the 4th frame with no problem.

darr

Thank you for sharing Carl. I appreciate you taking the time to share your findings with us readers.

Kind regards.,
Darr

ggibson

Wow, amazing to see the difference between a single frame and the combined image. The x3i version looks so clean by comparison.

scho

A couple of sunflower shots with the sdQ+18-35 A.

and just for fun, another shot of the same sunflowers with the mighty little Nokia 808 :clap:

Last edited:

biglouis

I'm not trolling, I'm really not. But I have yet to see anything which really wows me.

It is not the photography because the compositions are good.

There is something lacking in the character of the images at 100%. And at normal size there is nothing that jumps out.

I can only say that, for example, when I first saw Fuji Xpro shots, it was obvious this was something different. Likewise for the Ricoh GR. And, of course, the DP2M. So, it is not like I haven't seen samples and examples from respected cameras which jump off the page here at GetDPI.

Sorry! I'll keep looking, though, and thanks for posting.

LouisB

PS I can see how the value proposition works because in theory at GBP 999 for the camera and art lens it is a bargain price.

mazor

wow scho, nice comparison between the Quattro and the 808!

The 808's optimum ISO is 64. Anything higher and full resolution image quality will suffer. That being said, the 808 does seem to resolve similar detail to the Quattro but the Quattro has the edge having the much cleaner and sharper image.

I too have the Sigma A 18-35 1.8 in EF mount adapted to my E-M1 via Speed booster ultra. Absolutely love the rendition from this lens, and on the E-M1 it becomes a f1.2 for light gathering which allows for very low ISO shooting is low light!

scho

The Watkins Glen pier at the south end of Seneca Lake. sdQ + 18-35A. Sharpening -1 in SPP and no additional sharpening in LR. Starting to get oil spots on the sensor now from the shutter mechanism so I'll probably send the camera in for cleaning.

furtle

The Watkins Glen pier at the south end of Seneca Lake. sdQ + 18-35A. Sharpening -1 in SPP and no additional sharpening in LR. Starting to get oil spots on the sensor now from the shutter mechanism so I'll probably send the camera in for cleaning.

Nice schooner! Well, I think it's a schooner. Probably 50' -60' and pitch pine on oak frames.

That's one of the best sdQ shots I've seen. Very well done.

scho

An old phone booth outside a pub in Watkins Glen. sdQ + 18-35A. Some purple fringing on the tree branches that I left because removing with the dropper in LR produced some horrible magenta blotching on the faded blue shirt of the man on the street.

You know how old you are when your grandson asks what the phone booth is for :(

furtle

Thank you Steve. Yes, it is a large schooner named "True Love" and she does excursions on Seneca Lake out of Watkins Glen.
Ha! I looked it up. A 53'9" Alden built 1926. What a beautiful yacht by a great architect. One minor gripe I have with USA designed yachts of that era, and it is minor, but the bow sprits always seemed a bit (how can I say) on the short side, a bit stumpy if you like. I personally prefer a thundering great bow sprit!

Sorry for the off topic bit but I used to have some involvement in classic yachts and we (in the UK) have to be grateful for our American friends for preserving and maintaining a great wooden boat industry, especially on your East Coast. As the the $/£ rate fluctuates, these beautiful yachts move to and fro from across the Atlantic, between our countries.

scho

Cayuga Lake Ithaca, NY. sdQ+18-35 Art with dust protector/hot mirror removed. Processed in SPP 6.4 and then converted to B&W using B&W adjustment layer in Photoshop. Custom cool toning with icc profile.

This is the original full spectrum file before processing in Photoshop.