The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV Lenses

iiiNelson

Does anyone have any extensive experience with CV Lenses in particular I was looking at the 12/5.6, 28/2, 40/1.4, 50/1.5, and 50/2. How do they compare optically as I was looking at possible fast primes to adapt to a G1 to fill some gaps in the range.

monza

I have owned the Nokton 40/1.4 a couple of times over the past few years. I liked the lens for many reasons (similar size, one stop faster, excellent sharpness, price) when I was comparing it to the Summicron C 40/2 for use on Leica bodies.

But when it came to the G1, I went with the 40/1.4 Olympus Pen lens instead as it was much cheaper, just as small, just as sharp, better bokeh, and focuses at half the distance of the Nokton. I have also owned a couple of other CV lenses but none in that list.

iiiNelson

Do they make an Olympus Pen adapter because I don't have the facilities or tools to fabricate an adapter?

monza

There will be one available in a few days from Hawk, he indicated to me they would ship by April 7.

simonclivehughes

Does anyone have any extensive experience with CV Lenses in particular I was looking at the 12/5.6, 28/2, 40/1.4, 50/1.5, and 50/2. How do they compare optically as I was looking at possible fast primes to adapt to a G1 to fill some gaps in the range.
I've had the 12 f5.6, the 28 f1.9 (previous LTM version) and the 50 f1.5 and they are all excellent lenses. I used them on the R-D1 and the M8. I'm in the process of acquiring them again for use with the G1.

Hope that helps.

Ciao,

iiiNelson

Great and it does help a lot. I was actually narrowing it down between the aforementioned lenses. I was thinking 12/5.6 for the wide stuff, 28/2 for general stuff and 40/1.4 or 50/1.5 for potential portrait ability.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The 28 1.9 Ultron is a killer. As good as my L lens.
The 40 Nokton comes in 2 versions and the SC is great
for B&W. I stll have a few around on my Leica's.
Th 21 is also a killer lens.....

simonclivehughes

The 40 Nokton comes in 2 versions and the SC is great for B&W.
I just bought the SC version of the 35mm f1.4 Nokton and will be using that on the G1 as soon as my CameraQuest u4/3-to-M adapters arrive.

Not also that the CV 75mm f2.5 is an outstanding lens too. And on the G1 you get a great 150mm portrait lens is a tiny package. For that matter, the 90mm f3.5 is also fabulous.

Cheers,

iiiNelson

I actually read that thread a while ago. My personal opinion is that sometimes people get too caught up in lab numbers and this isn't just a photography related issue. No lens is perfect and I don't expect any to be. It's hard to argue results of a great picture whether it was done with MF equipment or a $100 digicam.

iiiNelson

True and the other idea not enough people are throwing around is the very real possibility of some optically poor Leica designed WA lenses. Everyone is aware of some of the G1 software lens correction related issues but I believe I read somewhere that the M8 has "micro lenses" built into it to "correct" said optical flaws with WA lenses. Some legacy lenses in the same focal lengths don't exhibit the same issues so maybe it's a combination bad lens design working against the electronics. I don't know if it's a general M-mount issue or a Leica M lens issue. Some of the CV lens + G1 pictures I've seen look just fine to me.