The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The successor to my E-1 is...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... not here yet, but.

Since the dramatic demise of my beloved E-1 (motorbike accident), I've been hoping for a pro-spec camera around the same size or smaller, and with all the modern features like in-body IS, weather sealing etc. A silent shutter was high on the list too, but I didn't have high hopes for that.

Apparently, Pentax listens to my dreams. An excuse to buy some of the excellent Pentax Limited primes has also been on my "wanted" list. The K-7 has all this and more:

- In-body IS
- Magnesium body
- Weather sealing
- The size of an E-620 plus a real grip
- 100% viewfinder
- 920,000 pixel LCD
- Top LCD
- Silent shutter
- DNG

... and the list continues. This is a serious, little piece of camera :lecture:

I'm keeping my Fujis and the best F-mount lenses, but my camera bin is due for a serious spring-cleaning to make room for my new plan "A":

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I read the article, Woody. Very inspiring.

This makes me wonder what Olympus is thinking, like in why the E-3 is so big, and why the E-620 didn't get the full treatment.

Of course, we don't know what the new version of the 14MP sensor can do yet, but if they have improved DR and high-ISO just a tiny bit, I'm happy.

Terry

I played with the new Oly last weekend at B&H. Couldn't figure out how to hold it and not hit buttons. Felt like my G1 was easier to deal with. Could just be me as others seem to really like it. So, this does look quite interesting for prime shooters wanting a small body. I haven't read up on the camera but can you explainthe silent shutter bit. I thought the louder part of the noise wasn't shutter but the mirror up/down.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I haven't read up on the camera but can you explainthe silent shutter bit. I thought the louder part of the noise wasn't shutter but the mirror up/down.
No, I can't explain it, and I agree that the mirror is usually making the most sound, but several testers have commented on it, including TOP. There's also a video that demonstrates it, compared to the K20D. It's in Spanish, but the shutter test is somewhere around half time:

http://www.quesabesde.com/camaras-digitales/camaras/pentax-k-7-videos,4324.html#346

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I too was very happy to read Mike Johnston's article about the new K-7 this morning. It's great to see that Pentax are still in the game after all the gloomy predictions concerning the Hoya merger/takeover.

I've been thinking seriously about getting an Olympus E-620 or a Nikon D5000 as an always-with-me camera but am not sure that I could live with the pentamirror viewfinders on those cameras.

The K-7 together with a 31/1.8 Limited lens might be a nice combination, albeit heavier than an E-620 + 25/2.8 pancake. Plus the aperture and focusing rings on the Pentax lenses turn in the same direction as the Nikon lenses I'm used to.

Does anyone know when the K-7 is slated to ship?

monza

Check out the size comparisons. This could be a very nice body to use some adapted Leica R lenses on...in body IS, a decent viewfinder...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oooooooooh <blink>
You can say that again. With two bodies and lots of traveling, this is a very easy choice for me. In addition, Pentax' lenses are relatively compact as well, and except for T/S and very long telephoto, all bases are covered. For tele, there's always Sigma. On a Pentax body, the excellent 100-300 f/4 gets IS, and so does the 120-300 f/2.8 :p

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Check out the size comparisons.
I was able to guess most but not all of the cameras that were being compared to the K-7. The original Flickr page has tooltips identifying each camera.

To be honest, I was amazed to see the size difference between the D300 and the D700. I have both cameras and, although the D700 is obviously heavier than the D300, I'd never noticed that the D700 is so much (9mm) taller.

Sorry Lili, I had almost been seduced by the E-620, but now I'm not at all sure I can resist the siren call of the K-7. Unless Olympus announces something irresistible on June 15...

Lili

Jorgen, this body, along with the superb lineup of prime lenses makes Pentax very attractive indeed!
Jonathon, the 620 is still roughly half the price ;)
Having said that you do realize I have two Oly Bodies (e410 and e510) and two K100 (regular and super)?
Yes, my name is Lili and I have a Camera Problem.....
Seriously the K7 is (esp with the 100% FOV OVF not to mention all the other features) is a game changer.
Pentax just Stepped Up

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You are very right, Lili. For me, the K7 sent Olympus a long way down the list. The E-620 was impressive when it was launched, with most of the features from the E-30. But the K7, which is only marginally larger than the E-620, has all of the features of the E-30 and the E-3, except the twisted LCD.

And then there's the Pentax primes...

If I buy it with the 77mm Limited, I'll probably forget to use other lenses for months :)

jonoslack

Looks great Jorgen - I can see why you want one.
Me? I don't think so, the weather sealing is attractive, but it isn't on many lenses (including those nice primes), and whilst it's nearly as small as the E620 (which I don't want either by the way), it does weigh half as much again.

Added to which, although the Pentax primes are fab, the zooms don't have such a good reputation, and for a mid range camera I do like zooms (when I'm travelling light). If I'm not travelling light, I'll stick with my lovely A900 and Zeiss lenses.

Still, I'm just going to buy the perfect Olympus m4/3 body, which will solve all my 'travelling light' problems - It'll be perfect until they announce the specs!:ROTFL:

Don't get me wrong - this looks like a splendid camera, and if I was wondering whether to buy it, or the E3 for my main camera, I wouldn't have to think for long!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jono,
Yes, it's a dilemma, and as you say, the zooms are the weak points, particularly the 16-50 f/2.8, which would be the obvious walk-around lens on a rainy day. The 50-135 and 12-24 are both good enough. The jury is still out on the 60-250, but since they've worked on it for so long, they've hopefully achieved something :lecture: It very much looks like the equivalent of the Zuiko 50-200.

It has always puzzled me why Pentax, that makes some of the best primes available anywhere, has to go to Tokina to find zooms, but then there are many things I don't understand in this world :confused:

Some of their primes, the 55/1.4, 200/2.8 and 300/4.0, are weather sealed. Although expensive, the 55mm would probably be an obvious lens to buy. There have been critical voices, but mostly because people have compared it to the legendary 85mm f/1.4. Pentax also has one rather unique lens: a 14mm f/2.8 designed for the APS-C format. There are other 14mm/2.8 lenses around, but since they are designed for 35mm, they are bulky and expensive, and they cannot use filters.

The most important thing for me though, is portability with pro spec gear. I'm traveling a lot, and I have to take all my gear as carry-on luggage on airplanes. Airlines, particularly the low-cost ones, are increasingly strict with all kinds of things, and it's only a question of time before some check-in staff with a bad-hair-day will ask to check the weight of my camera bag :( One or two kilos can make a lot of difference in a situation like that, as can a bag that doesn't look like it's about to burst.

Olympus should have been the alternative, but unfortunately it isn't, at least not at the moment. It looks very nice as long as we stick with the zooms. 11-22 or 12-60 plus 50-200 would cover most areas for me, but except for the 50mm f/2.0, there are no primes, or at least none that satisfy my needs. Add to that the top-of-the line bodies, E-3 and E-30, that for some reason are bigger than the K-7. Much, much bigger.

30 or so years ago, I always had discussions with my Pentax friends about who made the best compact sized body. I still think it was Olympus then, and it even was Olympus when they launched the E-1. Unfortunately for Olympus, the K-7 is what the E-3 should have been. The E-3 is a great camera, but it's.... BIG.

Oh well... the K-7 isn't out until July, and here in Thailand, it may last another month or two. In the meantime, I'll stick with what I have, and who knows; maybe the camera fairy appears on the July evening sky with yet another sensation from Olympus or from Fuji or from Lofoten Sildesalgslag. You never know these days :)

Edit: Interesting new avatar you've got now, Jono. Colour and all, but you seem to be much thinner than before. Are you sure you get enough food :LOL:

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another little detail:
I just bought a tiny, little laptop computer, an Acer Something, with a 10" monitor and a 120GB HDD. It's just one kilogram, and I carry it everywhere, using it to back up my photos when I'm on the go. How is this relevant to Pentax, you may ask...

It's relevant because the little wonder, which runs Windows Xp and Photoshop, has a slot on the side for SD cards. When I pop the cards from my D80 in there, the images are transferred to the HDD within a few minutes. However, when I connect a card reader for CF cards from my Fuji, the process takes ages, not to mention the fact that I have to remember to bring the card reader in the first place.

Pentax is the only camera manufacturer that has chosen to use SD cards in this class of cameras, and I think that's a very wise decision. It's a more modern concept than the CF cards, and with capacities now reaching 32GB and more, CF looks to me like the dinosaur of tomorrow.

I chose the little Acer over the smaller backup units because of the price (it's considerably cheaper than the Epson thingy), and because it gives me the possibility to review, edit and email photos when I'm out and about. I also carry a WD 2.5" 320GB backup disk, so that I have two copies of the files, and can re-use the cards if necessary.

N

nei1

If the pentax is quiet it could be that theyve whipped the carpet from beneath olympuses feet,looks like a digital om1 to me.The E3 looks to have room for a square sensor which might save it from the scrap heap of camera history.

cjlacz

It looks like a damn nice camera and it's making me look at my Olympus camera twice. Maybe I should sell off my Oly lenses and look back at the small and light camera market in a year or two when I really need one again.

Lili

Jorgen,
I do the same with my little Asus EEE PC except while traveling I upload directly to my flickr account. That way my images are stored on a server online.
I am still not dropping my Oly as they have the small size market totally cornered (my e410 with the pancake lens) and they have a very good and affordable extreme tele zoom (my 70-300mm-140-600mm-e).
Still, the ability to use, with IS and a huge viefinder, my exquisite film Pentax glass just rocks my world!
Another little detail:
I just bought a tiny, little laptop computer, an Acer Something, with a 10" monitor and a 120GB HDD. It's just one kilogram, and I carry it everywhere, using it to back up my photos when I'm on the go. How is this relevant to Pentax, you may ask...

It's relevant because the little wonder, which runs Windows Xp and Photoshop, has a slot on the side for SD cards. When I pop the cards from my D80 in there, the images are transferred to the HDD within a few minutes. However, when I connect a card reader for CF cards from my Fuji, the process takes ages, not to mention the fact that I have to remember to bring the card reader in the first place.

Pentax is the only camera manufacturer that has chosen to use SD cards in this class of cameras, and I think that's a very wise decision. It's a more modern concept than the CF cards, and with capacities now reaching 32GB and more, CF looks to me like the dinosaur of tomorrow.

I chose the little Acer over the smaller backup units because of the price (it's considerably cheaper than the Epson thingy), and because it gives me the possibility to review, edit and email photos when I'm out and about. I also carry a WD 2.5" 320GB backup disk, so that I have two copies of the files, and can re-use the cards if necessary.

jonoslack

Edit: Interesting new avatar you've got now, Jono. Colour and all, but you seem to be much thinner than before. Are you sure you get enough food :LOL:
Thank you Jorgen . . . I've always been thin (although, since I gave up smoking 3 years ago I've had to put a little effort to stay there)

I suddenly realised that the old avatar was even making ME think I was a grumpy old man (which, of course, as you know, I'm not :p). So I thought I go for something a little more triumphant. :)

I've been looking at the specs of those lenses - they're all really small and light, I'm impressed.