The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No Pentax K7 love?

nostatic

I'll admit that I drifted away from the various photo sites when work heated up, but dropped back in to discover that Pentax actually did announce a new dSLR, and it looks pretty sweet. Instead of cramming more mp onto the sensor, they worked other features, fixing some shortcomings, and adding some new twists. Smaller, lighter, still weather resistant, and ready for some limited prime lenses to be popped on it.

Have to see how the budget fares, but this will likely be an upgrade for my K20d. The 100% viewfinder, 3" display and video option (amazing how often I use that on the DLux4) along with better AF and metering dip the scales.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-7

D

ddk

I think that they're kind of late with their timing, between Canon's offerings, Nikon's d700, d3, d3x and Sony's A900, most of us are pretty much invested in these systems and as good as K7 might be its not offering enough to tempt anyone away from what we already use. Not to mention the new 4/3rd cameras like the G1 for which the people have started investing heavily in exotic glass. I feel that they would have had a better chance last summer than now, which at this point, imo the K7 will appeal more to those who already own Pentax systems rather than those invested in other brands, which is the majority of users here.

nostatic

The other thing of note is that the K7 evidently has a nearly silent shutter. A big plus for me.

If the iq of the K7 is on-par with the d700, d3, a900 then there will be some pissed off Canikon owners as the competitors to the K7 are the D90/D300, a700 (K7 is an APS-C sensor and priced accordingly). Since I already have Pentax glass it is a logical consideration for me. I thought multiple times about jumping back to Nikon or to Sony for an a900, but the Pentax limited prime lenses keep me where I am.

I bought a G1 for my g/f and she likes it, but it doesn't turn my crank. Then again I don't have any M glass lying around to slap on it...

D

ddk

The other thing of note is that the K7 evidently has a nearly silent shutter. A big plus for me.

If the iq of the K7 is on-par with the d700, d3, a900 then there will be some pissed off Canikon owners as the competitors to the K7 are the D90/D300, a700 (K7 is an APS-C sensor and priced accordingly). Since I already have Pentax glass it is a logical consideration for me. I thought multiple times about jumping back to Nikon or to Sony for an a900, but the Pentax limited prime lenses keep me where I am.

I bought a G1 for my g/f and she likes it, but it doesn't turn my crank. Then again I don't have any M glass lying around to slap on it...
Buying and selling bodies isn't a problem, its the glass that makes changing systems expensive!

Lili

I have 2 K100 bodies and a box full of old and new K and m42 glass.
The idea of a near silent DSLR along with say the 40 or 21mm pancake lenses appeals greatly.
So tempting...

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I think that they're kind of late with their timing, between Canon's offerings, Nikon's d700, d3, d3x and Sony's A900, most of us are pretty much invested in these systems and as good as K7 might be its not offering enough to tempt anyone away from what we already use. Not to mention the new 4/3rd cameras like the G1 for which the people have started investing heavily in exotic glass. I feel that they would have had a better chance last summer than now, which at this point, imo the K7 will appeal more to those who already own Pentax systems rather than those invested in other brands, which is the majority of users here.
I must be the exception that proves the rule. Before I settled on a D300 as my first DSLR, I very seriously considered Pentax -- mainly because of their Limited primes, especially the 31/1.8 and the 77/1.8. Now, even though I have a substantial investment in Nikon lenses, I continue to lust after that 31/1.8. If the K-7 is as good in reality as it seems from the specs, I can easily see myself buying one to supplement my Nikon system.

nostatic

I have all the FA ltd primes. The 31/1.8 is usually on my K20d body, but the 77/1.8 is a magic lens. The 43/1.9 is nice as well, but the 31/77 combo is all that and a bag of chips.

I also have the 50-135* which, as much as I hate zooms, is an incredible lens. And weatherproof to boot.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I will be upgrading my system later this year, and instead of moving from Fuji and Nikon DX cameras to a D700, I will probably go for one or two K7 instead. From a cost point of view, it would probably be cheaper to buy the D700, but the Nikon plus my 80-200 AF-S are around 2.8 kilograms, while the Pentax with the 50-135 f/2.8 weigh in at 1.4 kg, around half. Add to that smaller, lighter primes, all image stabilised, and I will probably save around 3 kilos when carrying my typical setup. That's a lot less to carry, and a lot less to discuss with ground crews at assorted airports.

16-50 f/2.8, 50-135 f/2.8 and 60-250 f/4 (all weather sealed) will probably be sufficient for most of what I do, but since the Limited primes are where Pentax really shines, I will look at a package consisting of the 15/4, 31/1.8 and 77/1.8 or 70/2.4. The weather sealed 55/1.4 is also a tempting option for portraits and walk-around.

I'll keep my Fujis though :)

If it wasn't because I went sony 6 months ago I would be buying one and some Pentax Limited primes as well. Assuming that the IQ is where it should.

douglasf13

I think the new K7 looks really sweet, and, if Pentax improved the low ISO shadow noise and AF greatly over the K20D, it is sure to be a winner. However, I don't think anyone thinks it'll be in the same category as the D700, D3x, A900, etc, IQ-wise, nostatic.

nostatic

I think the new K7 looks really sweet, and, if Pentax improved the low ISO shadow noise and AF greatly over the K20D, it is sure to be a winner. However, I don't think anyone thinks it'll be in the same category as the D700, D3x, A900, etc, IQ-wise, nostatic.
I never claimed it would be. Someone else mentioned it in the same breath as those, hence my statement that if it was equivalent, then people would be pissed. It is a direct competitor to other APS-C cameras (eg D300) and it looks like Pentax got it right. We'll see when it finally hits the streets.

jonoslack

I never claimed it would be. Someone else mentioned it in the same breath as those, hence my statement that if it was equivalent, then people would be pissed. It is a direct competitor to other APS-C cameras (eg D300) and it looks like Pentax got it right. We'll see when it finally hits the streets.
I also think it looks fab . . but it also looks pretty pricey in the UK :eek:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Image quality is always a compromise between price, weight, size and some perceived optimum that we all strive to reach. If my choice on a certain day is between an A900 with a couple of heavy lenses and compact camera with no proper viewfinder and questionable low-light performance, either my back, my wallet or the image quality will suffer. With the K-7, none will.

Ideally, we would always have a Hasselblad with the latest, greatest digital back (with excellent 52,000 ISO, 15 fps etc.) and a bunch of fabulous f/1.4 lenses available for every shot we make. But most of us don't. This is what makes cameras like the A900, D700, K-7, G1 and E-620 (and probably the Leica S2) so great: they are all excellent compromises. We just have to pick a point on the graph that is suitable for our own needs.

For my needs, and for many different reasons (size, weight, price, weather sealing, build quality, great primes, great viewfinder, SD-cards), the K-7 seems to hit closest to the target right now. The risk is of course that some other camera/system will hit even closer tomorrow, and maybe even before I get to purchase this thing, but luckily for all of us, camera manufacturers seem to wander off in different directions, making choices varied and interesting.

It was never better to be a gear-head than now, and it will hopefully be even better tomorrow :thumbup:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Talk about coincidences! This morning, as I was thinking about whether the 31/1.8 Limited might be too big and heavy for the K-7, it occurred to me that I could ask nostatic to take a picture of his 31/1.8 Limited on the K-7 -- assuming that he gets one. An hour or so later I read a post on RiceHigh's Pentax Blog pointing to a www.dpnet.com.cn story (apparently about the supposed similarities between the K-7 and Samsung's promised NX) which included this photo.

I knew that the 31/1.8 was a substantial piece of glass but I wasn't prepared for how disproportionately large it looks on the K-7. So now I eagerly await nostatic's report on how the 31/1.8 feels on the K-7.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That photo really shows how tiny the K-7 is. Although the 31 Ltd. is substantial, it's not huge. I'm really looking forward to try this camera :p

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
That photo really shows how tiny the K-7 is. Although the 31 Ltd. is substantial, it's not huge. I'm really looking forward to try this camera :p
Jorgen, that is a much more insightful way of interpreting the photo. In fact, the 31/1.8 is similar in size and weight to my 28/2 AI-S Nikkor, which I don't regard as a large lens at all.

31/1.8 Limited: 65x69mm 345g
28/2 AI-S Nikkor: 63x68.5mm 360g

So it really is the case that the K-7 is tiny, as this Photozone picture of the 31/1.8 on a K10 confirms.

Well, now I *have* to buy one :p
Well, either you or Jorgen! Though, in the latter case, he'll need to get the 31/1.8 too...

Last edited:

nostatic

I briefly had a Km and found it to be too small for my tastes (same with the G1). The K-7 appears to be a bit bigger, and I'm hoping if falls in the "just right" category.

The 31 looks rather small on my K20d, so I'm thinking it'll likely balance well on the K-7. I won't order one blind though - I'll wait until my local shop gets one in so I can hold it. I'm thinking that the 43 on the K-7 would be an ultimate street setup but I've been shooting almost all 31 lately because...well, just because.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The 31 looks rather small on my K20d, so I'm thinking it'll likely balance well on the K-7. I won't order one blind though - I'll wait until my local shop gets one in so I can hold it. I'm thinking that the 43 on the K-7 would be an ultimate street setup but I've been shooting almost all 31 lately because...well, just because.
Interesting, I would have thought that the 40/2.8 Limited might be a more natural fit for the K-7. Would you mind explaining why you lean towards the 43/1.9?

The 31/1.8 does look nicely balanced on the K-7 fitted with the battery grip. (I'm pretty sure that if I had the 31mm I'd be doing 95% of my shooting with it.)