The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No Pentax K7 love?

nostatic

I don't really like the 40/2.8. I love the look of it on the camera, but will take a faster lens any day of the week, and the 40 is very thin so any manual focus is a bit of a challenge.

Plus the FA ltds are just sublime lenses. The DA ltds are nice (I have the 35/2.8 macro ltd) but not quite the same.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The rumour is that the Samsung GX30 is based on the K-7 body with the same sensor, but with dual SD-slots, built-in Wi-Fi and tilt AMOLED display. It's supposed to be launched on 7 July. Now it's getting really complicated... :confused:

Lili

The rumour is that the Samsung GX30 is based on the K-7 body with the same sensor, but with dual SD-slots, built-in Wi-Fi and tilt AMOLED display. It's supposed to be launched on 7 July. Now it's getting really complicated... :confused:
Ooooooooooooooohhhh!!!!

Godfrey

I worked with Pentax gear from late 2004 to early 2008. Good lenses, only decent bodies. The K7 looks to be of the same class as the Limited lenses in build quality, finally.

I had all the FA and DA Limited lenses. My favorites were the DA21, FA43 and both DA70/FA77.

The 31 was in particular the one I found the most frustrating ... stupid fixed lens hood, flare on the DSLRs and hard to fit a good hood along with weight, size and price which seemed over-much. I sold it, bought the FA35/2 instead. At a third the price, it was much lighter, much smaller, took a normal lens hood, and had fewer flare problems. Bokeh was slightly less pleasing at some lens openings, but it annoyed me less than the 31.

The FA43, however ... I have considered keeping my K10D body simply to use that lens on it. A wonderful lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Godfrey,
Did you ever own the screw mount 135mm f/3.5 Super Takumar? I found one in a shop earlier today, with the original hood. A bit too expensive, but a beautiful lens. Unfortunately, I have no Pentax to try it on. Not yet anyway...

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I saw that rumor and initially thought the articulated display was simply too much to hope for. Then I looked at the quoted dimensions and compared them with the K-7's:

GX30: 138mm (W) × 100mm (H) × 72mm (D)
K-7: 131mm (W) x 97mm (H) x 73mm (D)

Would the AMOLED display be so much thinner than a conventional LCD display that it could tilt without adding anything to the depth of the camera? Then again, the fact that I'm poring over the specs like this proves how interested I am in this small K-mount camera.

With the news that Hoya has decided to shut down the Pentax Museum, I'm beginning to wonder if it mightn't be smarter to go with a Samsung K-mount camera anyway, since the chances seem to be steadily increasing that Samsung with eventually absorb the Pentax brand, as Sony did with Konica-Minolta.

The FA43, however ... I have considered keeping my K10D body simply to use that lens on it. A wonderful lens.
Hmm, another vote of confidence in the 43/1.9 Limited. Duly noted!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With the news that Hoya has decided to shut down the Pentax Museum, I'm beginning to wonder if it mightn't be smarter to go with a Samsung K-mount camera anyway, since the chances seem to be steadily increasing that Samsung with eventually absorb the Pentax brand, as Sony did with Konica-Minolta.

Hmm, another vote of confidence in the 43/1.9 Limited. Duly noted!
Developing new camera bodies at the rate the competitors are doing these days, is probably well beyond the capabilities of Pentax. A scenario where Samsung develops and makes the bodies, and Pentax the lenses would probably make more sense, but what do I know :confused:

I note with interest the enthusiasm for the 43/1.9 Limited. Being one of the more reasonably priced Limiteds, that might be an economical way into the K-mount system, at least for me.

B

Bill Wilby

I will be receiving my first K7's and GH1's this week. I will try and do some side by side comparison photos. I have also asked a customer to help me with a video comparison. I know very little about video. Any ideas? cheers Bill Wilby

nostatic

A couple of things to try. First would be tripod in varying light (daylight, low light). Second would be to pan while shooting (at both 24 and 30fps). Third would be to vary focus and/or aperture while shooting. It isn't clear what all is adjustable based on the pre-production firmware.