The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K7 arrival

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are reports about poor image quality from any camera on the market. The K-7 is no exception.

I've seen some excellent photos taken with the K-7, so it's apparently possible. That's what I need to know. Should I decide to buy this, it will be with some Limiteds anyway. A big lens like the 55mm doesn't really suit my needs for a compact travel camera. The exception might be the 50-135mm f/2.8. Excellent image quality, reasonable price and compact size considering what it does.

nostatic

The 55* has gotten mixed "official" reviews but there are plenty of real users who are happy. The SDM focus is not the fastest though - the screw drive on the older lenses is faster.

The 50-135* is an amazing lens. I don't like zooms, but that lens is one of the reasons I still own Pentax. The other reasons are 31/1.8, 43/1.9 and 77/1.8 :D

As for hi iso, it really depends on the individual. It is about the same as the K20d which I find to be perfectly acceptable at iso 1600. And this is with 24x36 prints. The measurebators will never be satisfied, and the K7 has gotten a bad rap because it didn't "improve" the iq of the K20d. The reality is that the iq of the K20d is as good or better than any other APS-C camera. The K7 was a focus on improved AF, better AWB, smaller size and video. If you want a good, small, APS-C weather sealed body, the K7 is almost impossible to beat.

I miss my K7, but if I get another one I will get some DA ltd primes to put on it. The K7 with 15/4, 40/2.8, and 70/2.4 would be hard to beat as a small travel setup.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I miss my K7, but if I get another one I will get some DA ltd primes to put on it. The K7 with 15/4, 40/2.8, and 70/2.4 would be hard to beat as a small travel setup.
Exactly my thought, except I would choose the 43/1.9. That extra stop can be rather useful, and it's a very compact lens as well.

bcf

Is there a good Pentax 28mm f/2 or f/2.8 AF lens? 40-43mm is too long for me, I almost never use a 60mm equivalent focal length. Even the 31/1.8 is too long: it gives a 47mm or so in 35mm terms - I would like a 40mm equivalent.

-- Bernard

nostatic

*sigh* I'm close to selling the E-P1 and getting a K7 to go along with (rather than replace) the K20d. I actually really like the E-P1 images a lot, but the size/shape is not quite a p&s, not quite a dSLR. Since I can't pocket the E-P1, I figure I might as well use the K7 and one or two primes as a street/travel setup (15 and 70 unless the 77 looks better on the replacement K7, I already have the 43). The shutter on the K7 is quieter than the E-P1 as well. I'll keep the K20d for using weather-sealed zooms. Or I'll sell it all and get a Holga.

Bah! I hate being OCD...

Lili

*sigh* I'm close to selling the E-P1 and getting a K7 to go along with (rather than replace) the K20d. I actually really like the E-P1 images a lot, but the size/shape is not quite a p&s, not quite a dSLR. Since I can't pocket the E-P1, I figure I might as well use the K7 and one or two primes as a street/travel setup (15 and 70 unless the 77 looks better on the replacement K7, I already have the 43). The shutter on the K7 is quieter than the E-P1 as well. I'll keep the K20d for using weather-sealed zooms. Or I'll sell it all and get a Holga.

Bah! I hate being OCD...
LOL join the club! Actually knowing the K7 is quieter than the EP-1 is of great interest....

W

wbrandsma

I tried the K7 today with the very small DA 40mm limited lens. And I was totally impressed with how the camera handled and how quiet the shutter was. And as small sensor camera user with mostly 28 and 35mm focal lengths it was a real challenge to try a completely different focal length. It made all perfect sense to me.

Here some photographs from a former shipyard in Amsterdam which is transformed in a giant artists workshop.

T

thinkfloyd

I'm thinking of getting the K-7 as well, but I really have no use for video. I'm waiting for the K-m replacement, if it's weathersealed, I'm sold, if not, I hope by then the K-7 drops in price. Though I'm on the fence selling my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 and get me them limiteds instead. The 16-50 is too versatile, the 50-135, too great a performer... I loaned my two zooms in exchange for a 31ltd, 43ltd and FA*85/1.4... and boy, did I fall in love with the 31 and 85!!! It's hard being a struggling artist...

C

coolfotog

I'm thinking of getting the K-7 as well, but I really have no use for video. I'm waiting for the K-m replacement, if it's weathersealed, I'm sold, if not, I hope by then the K-7 drops in price. Though I'm on the fence selling my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 and get me them limiteds instead. The 16-50 is too versatile, the 50-135, too great a performer... I loaned my two zooms in exchange for a 31ltd, 43ltd and FA*85/1.4... and boy, did I fall in love with the 31 and 85!!! It's hard being a struggling artist...
struggling artist? buy a 1966 mustang coupe instead. i'll sell you one and throw in an 85.

T

thinkfloyd

sell it to me for the same price as the one offered me, and you've got yourself a deal :D

nostatic

The Kx (Km replacement) is supposed to be announced tomorrow (or today in Japan - depends on your time zone). Rumors are no weather sealing but a bunch of other nice features. I sold all my Pentax gear and bought a 5D2, 24-105, 70-200/4 and 50/1.4 setup. I also sold the E-P1 so I need a small cam for street and light travel. Was thinking GF-1, as K7 w/40 would be a fair chunk of money. Kx w/40 might be viable though...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A blue one with a silver 43mm?

And a red with the 15mm...

The specs look surprisingly good. Will probably be a very handy camera.

M

meilicke

I like all of the space for your thumb on the Kx pictures. That is my biggest gripe with smaller cameras - how to hold them!

Scott

T

thinkfloyd

@nostatic: really? You sold it all after getting a K-7? :) I'd love to do the same, but then, a 5DmkII is too expensive... really disappointed with the K-x, wanted WS so bad. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait more and stick with my K100 til it dies on me...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
@nostatic: really? You sold it all after getting a K-7? :) I'd love to do the same, but then, a 5DmkII is too expensive... really disappointed with the K-x, wanted WS so bad. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait more and stick with my K100 til it dies on me...
The rumour is one more camera this year. K300? K3.5?