The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing out a Pentax K5

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thomas, Jono,

I think all the shots from the K5 I have seen so far are stunning. Very subtile colors, very sharp (so AF seems to work at least in most situations) and very good detail as far as one can tell from Internet published photos.

Cheers

Peter

jonoslack

Grab shots in dodgy lighting - again, all with the 35 f2.8 macro

1250 ISO

2500 ISO

4000 ISO

1250 ISO

The camera was at f2.8 Aperture Priority, and Auto ISO

Paratom

Thomas -this shot is stunning I hope you print and display it.
Hi Terry,
thank you for your comment.
I have had an idea - to print about one image a week at 20x30cm and put it in a large album as a memory. just to keep the best moment/image/feeling of the week in memory. (too many images are just staying on my harddrive without any attention) So this one has been the first image in this poster album.

jonoslack

Hi Terry,
thank you for your comment.
I have had an idea - to print about one image a week at 20x30cm and put it in a large album as a memory. just to keep the best moment/image/feeling of the week in memory. (too many images are just staying on my harddrive without any attention) So this one has been the first image in this poster album.
HI Tom
I can't recommend Blurb enough for this - it gets you to really look at your images, think about selection, added to which it's great fun getting a book through the post, and then friends and relatives can have copies too.

I started doing them for wedding albums, but find myself doing more and more of them for friends or for fun. Here are a couple of general ones I've done:

Agios Stefanos
(this one was to say thank you for the loan of a cottage at the village

testing the M9

all the best

Paratom

Getting ready for dinner

all with the 35 macro f2.8 auto ISO
Hi Jono,
I really do like to color and tones from those images. The 35 turns out to be a real flexible lens with just the right compromise between size/speed/sharpness and nice bokeh. Originally I had intended to go for the 40DR but then this guy offered me his (used) 35da Macro so I tried it and liked it. Now I am really happy with the choice. Of the lenses I own now (15,21,35,70 and 50-135) its the one which seems to allways deliever fine IQ.

P

photogerald

I think this is a good decision. D700 can be beaten by small number of cameras if it comes to functionality, IQ and AF speed. Downsides as we know are weight etc.

Did the following exercise:

D700, 24-40, 70-200 results in 3.5kg

D7000, 16-85, 55-300 all VRII results in 2kg

K5, 16-50, 50-135 results in 2.5kg

So clear winner here is a D7000 set although you do not get 2.8 but instead full VRII support, whereas the K5 has built in IS. From a price point the D7000 set is also the clear winner.

Of course one also can get the 2.8/17-55 Nikkor, which is faster, but then you do not have any IS. So I would prefer clearly the IS (called VRII). And I would have all my 2.8 FF glass to be used with the D7000 anyway if I really need or want that.
I realize you are trying to make best use of your existing Nikon glass with this comparison, but for someone who is starting from scratch a better analogy to your D7000 kit would be the following:

K-5, DA17-70 (constant f4), DA55-300 (f4.0-5.6)

This will shave close to 400g off the weight of the K-5 kit that you listed above. If one really desires having 16mm, and can live without the overlap between the two lenses, then substitute the DA16-45/4 (which is an excellent lens for the money, btw) for the DA17-70.

jonoslack

And what is amazing (to me at least) is that according to the EXIF it was shot at ISO3200.
You sound like a man who doesn't have a K5 yet!
the high ISO really is splendid, it's not so much the noise (or lack of it) but the colour, which seems to stay good right up to 6400 (I haven't tried 12800 because I really don't seem to need it :ROTFL:)

all the best

Paratom

You sound like a man who doesn't have a K5 yet!
the high ISO really is splendid, it's not so much the noise (or lack of it) but the colour, which seems to stay good right up to 6400 (I haven't tried 12800 because I really don't seem to need it :ROTFL:)

all the best
I agree.
I also switched NR to "0" when I converted this image from DNG to JPG in LR3

The image printed in DIN A4 size looks as good as on screen by the way-so not only when downsized for web.

raist3d

Reading this thread is not healthy for me at all... right now...

I am mulling a system switch and it's pricey. Would have to dump a bunch of lenses. Still looking for what are the really good Pentax lenses for this system.
:p

- Raist

jonoslack

Reading this thread is not healthy for me at all... right now...

I am mulling a system switch and it's pricey. Would have to dump a bunch of lenses. Still looking for what are the really good Pentax lenses for this system.
:p

- Raist
Hi There Raist
How on earth are you?
Welcome to the monkey house.
The lens selection is not a simple one, but there do seem to be some decent lenses.
From whence are you contemplating the switch?

all the best
Jono

raist3d

You know I swear I have seen you somewhere else... and even talked to you at some point... maybe fate wanted us to cross again :)

So, well... who else could it be :) Olympus 4/3rds :)

Basically the K-5 looks like the "pro spec e-410/420/620" that I wanted Olympus to do a long time ago. Ill have to admit being a JPEG shooter I will miss that Olympus JPEG engine but playing briefly with the K-5 showed me there's a lot of tweaks even with the "art" filters to play with on the Pentax and I can probably get something nice that I like.

In short I am looking for a camera with:

- higher class AF (e-3/e-5 class)- the e-620 / 420 combo made me mad recently when shooting my 5th wedding in nasty fluorescent somewhat low light.
- small
- pro specced
- quiet (what a pleasant surprise was to hear the K-5 shutter)
- excellent ergonomics (K-5 is great. I can see why people call it a successor to the E-1)
- with a modern sensor/"canvas"- I am very impressed the K-5 seems to have the Dynamic range in the class of the old Fuji S5 Pro SR!

Right now I am a bit split on a GH2 and this. The GH2 can use my Olympus lenses but not sure how fast it can AF them. But I know the GH2 can AF very very *very* fast with its own. Also the GH2 is even smaller, but not weather sealed and may look a bit toyish plus the battery life is not that good.

I would expect the GH2 to produce more detail than the Pentax given Panasonic history of weak AA filters on their sensors, but the Pentax sure will have better noise/DR.

- Raist

Update: as to how am I, I am doing good overall. Still love photography and I think I have improved quite a bit (oh and I am trying to be super humble when I say this! haha joking).

raist3d

Oh I forgot: basically I have resigned myself to need a low end camera and a high end camera. The low end for my part of my real work which is street life and other things like that that I love so much carrying a camera with me 100% of the time. Right now this is being done with the LX5, and to some extent the Sigma DP2 (still love the Sigma but in lower light and overall focal lens versatility, the LX5 does better).

So if I can get a top tier camera that can work at least for many situations also as a street life camera (looks like the K-5 is it), that's even more bonus points.

- Raist

raist3d

Oh Well
I think it's all angels dancing on the heads of pins . . . all this stuff works properly these days. . . . . maybe it's just what one likes that matters?

Here are a couple of shots I liked with the K5. both are at 6400 ISO

the first one is with the 60-250 220mm 1/125th f4

[]

That was ISO 6400? ... that was... ISO 6400? ... that was.... umm....

Do you have them full size somewhere? (or just a 100% crop)

Thanks

- Raist

jonoslack

Oh Well
I think it's all angels dancing on the heads of pins . . . all this stuff works properly these days. . . . . maybe it's just what one likes that matters?

Here are a couple of shots I liked with the K5. both are at 6400 ISO

the first one is with the 60-250 220mm 1/125th f4
That was ISO 6400? ... that was... ISO 6400? ... that was.... umm....

Do you have them full size somewhere? (or just a 100% crop)

Thanks

- Raist
HI There Raist
I've PM'd you, Glad you've nearly forgotten me too:ROTFL:
I think it must have been dpreview in the good old Olympus forum?

anyway I'll happily send you some DNG files.

Just tell me what you'd like.

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

I am coming finally into the club :D

Ordered today a K5 with DA 18-55mm WR which was offered as kit at Amazon with €150.- rebate. So this gives the lens for free and I can test the K5.

Looking forward to receive delivery within the next 3-4 business days.

All the great discussions about the K5 and the rebate finally pulled the trigger for me. And as soon as I have the package I will see if I will buy other lenses and which ones - I am almost sure thsi will happen :rolleyes:

jonoslack

Re: Any Ideas re the Stain on the Shroud Issues?

There are a few discussions on other websites about the stain on the center of the sensor. I wonder whether this is real or someone trying to create doubt about buying Pentax:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37101214
HI There
I think it's real - checked mine, and there's a couple of dust bunnies (3), but no 'stain'.

What's less clear, is whether it's something which would show up on a real photograph.

However, those who've complained to Pentax seem to have gained 'satisfaction'.

Not many cameras which haven't had some kind of issue, and IMHO it's about whether the manufacturer actually deals with it promptly or not - it seems that Pentax are dealing with it.