The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing out a Pentax K5

jonoslack

I'm personally not that enthused about the DA*16-50/2.8. See:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21353&page=2

I am liking what I see from the new DA18-135 WR DC, however.
Hi Gerald
Well, after my second 16-50 was more de-centred than the first, I've conditionally given up on it and swapped it for an DA18-135 and a 15 limited (I'll blame you if they aren't good).

First impressions are that it's soft at the corners at 135 below f7.1, but I think I expected that (I don't expect miracles, just consistency!). It's delightfully small, and feels pretty solid.

The sad thing about the 16-50, was that it's definitely sharp at some corner point in the frame at all focal lengths and all apertures - just not in all of them at the same time :ROTFL:

More later when I've had time to try the 18-135.

jonoslack

I am so excited! Many thanks to all of you who followed with me through my rather demanding selection process. I think I did the right thing.

Will keep you all updated and for sure upload some samples.

Peter
Good Luck Peter
I really hope you enjoy it as much as I am - a loveable little camera I think.

P

photogerald

Finally my K5 with Kit lens (18-55WR) arrived!

After setting it up and playing around for a little while I only can say so far - I AM OVERWHELMED!!!
Great! I look forward to seeing your photos.

4) I set the AUTO ISO from 200-6400 and so far all ISO values including 6400 work VERY WELL:
Just curious, why 200 at the low end (and not 80)?

P

photogerald

Hi Gerald
Well, after my second 16-50 was more de-centred than the first, I've conditionally given up on it and swapped it for an DA18-135 and a 15 limited (I'll blame you if they aren't good).
Uhh... [runs and checks to see if I've done any "fanboy pumping"]

I think I'm innocent, but if you end up not liking the DA18-135 you could always send it to me. :)

First impressions are that it's soft at the corners at 135 below f7.1, but I think I expected that (I don't expect miracles, just consistency!). It's delightfully small, and feels pretty solid.
This corresponds to what I see on the comparometer thingy in this review:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax_18-135mm_review.php

If you compare the 18 and 55mm crops against the ones for the DA18-55, you can see how much better the DA18-135 is. The 135mm crops do look soft like you mentioned. Actually, I'm a bit surprised by how soft it is in the center @135mm and f5.6 - do you see this in your copy as well? Also, I wonder why they didn't include shots from the DA*16-50? That would've been an interesting comparison - maybe they couldn't find a good copy of the 16-50? :ROTFL:

So it looks like the DA18-135 gives excellent performance from 18-55mm (handily better than the DA18-55 kit), with very good performance up to 85mm. Somewhere beyond that on the road to 135mm things start to deteriorate, but nevertheless that's still an impressive usable range given the size of this lens.

The sad thing about the 16-50, was that it's definitely sharp at some corner point in the frame at all focal lengths and all apertures - just not in all of them at the same time :ROTFL:
As this lens uses the same optical construction as the Tokina 16-50 in other mounts, I wonder if the Tokina also suffers from this decentering.

More later when I've had time to try the 18-135.
I look forward to your comments.

jonoslack

This corresponds to what I see on the comparometer thingy in this review:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax_18-135mm_review.php

If you compare the 18 and 55mm crops against the ones for the DA18-55, you can see how much better the DA18-135 is. The 135mm crops do look soft like you mentioned. Actually, I'm a bit surprised by how soft it is in the center @135mm and f5.6 - do you see this in your copy as well? Also, I wonder why they didn't include shots from the DA*16-50? That would've been an interesting comparison - maybe they couldn't find a good copy of the 16-50? :ROTFL:

So it looks like the DA18-135 gives excellent performance from 18-55mm (handily better than the DA18-55 kit), with very good performance up to 85mm. Somewhere beyond that on the road to 135mm things start to deteriorate, but nevertheless that's still an impressive usable range given the size of this lens.

As this lens uses the same optical construction as the Tokina 16-50 in other mounts, I wonder if the Tokina also suffers from this decentering.

I look forward to your comments.
Well, comments in another thread - actually, I didn't find the centre too bad, but there IS CA to contend with (very easily fixed in Aperture) I found that when you fixed the CA the resolution looked better as well

P

photogerald

ISO 200-6400 because 200 is the lowest you can choose.
Really? I'm pretty sure auto ISO can go down to 100 (and 80 if you enable the extended ISO in the custom menu).

(By the way, there is some IQ benefit to shooting at ISO80 vs 100.)

raist3d

Re: So after looking long and wide...

I'm not sure if you're still interested, given that you already got your K-5, but if want to play around I can gladly send you the RAW file for the flower hat shot.
Yes, I am still interested, after all I don't have that lens :) and I want to see what the camera can do.

Thanks.

- Raist

raist3d

Really? I'm pretty sure auto ISO can go down to 100 (and 80 if you enable the extended ISO in the custom menu).

(By the way, there is some IQ benefit to shooting at ISO80 vs 100.)
Probably a bit more extra shadow DR at the expense of a tiny bit of highlight. Given the Pentax already has bags of shadow DR, I don't mind using just 100. I guess 80 can come handy when I need that extra slow shutter speed.

- Raist

P

photogerald

Yes, I am still interested, after all I don't have that lens :) and I want to see what the camera can do.
Sure, give me a day and I'll have the PEF uploaded somewhere. And just to clarify, I'm using a K20D, not K-5.

P

photogerald

Sure, give me a day and I'll have the PEF uploaded somewhere. And just to clarify, I'm using a K20D, not K-5.
Hi all - I've uploaded the PEF for that flower hat image. Those wanting to play around can PM me for the link and password.

And if you get some good results, I'd be interested in seeing them (I'm ok with sharing them here - but maybe we should start a new thread for this).

P

photogerald

Probably a bit more extra shadow DR at the expense of a tiny bit of highlight. Given the Pentax already has bags of shadow DR, I don't mind using just 100. I guess 80 can come handy when I need that extra slow shutter speed.
It is said that the native ISO of the K-5 is somewhere between 80 and 100, so you're probably right.

Paratom

K5

Shot more with the K5 today in somewhat dim weather.

While I really like the handling of the camera and the look of the images I have to say that my impression about the AF is mixed. I have many images which are not accuratly in focus. In some shots slightly off, in some its even focusing on the background (looks like the area marked as AF point on the screen is not 100% accurate)
Also sometimes I feel if the distance changes slightly the focus doesnt change at all - so I would have to first focus on something in front and then back to the subject.

Overall I would say the keeper rate regarding AF is not so great. I am not talking about action shots with continous AF, just family etc.

How do you feel about the AF?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thomas,

I have exactly the opposite impressions about AF - I have meanwhile the 18-55 and the DA 70 and with both lenses that AF is just spot on - also in dim light or foggy (low contrast) weather. But my lenses are also pretty accurate with the AF of the camera, maybe you need to adjust your lenses to the AF ???

I am pretty happy with the K5 overall and start thinking about the sense of my D700 :rolleyes:

raist3d

Re: K5

Shot more with the K5 today in somewhat dim weather.

While I really like the handling of the camera and the look of the images I have to say that my impression about the AF is mixed. I have many images which are not accuratly in focus. In some shots slightly off, in some its even focusing on the background (looks like the area marked as AF point on the screen is not 100% accurate)
Also sometimes I feel if the distance changes slightly the focus doesnt change at all - so I would have to first focus on something in front and then back to the subject.

Overall I would say the keeper rate regarding AF is not so great. I am not talking about action shots with continous AF, just family etc.

How do you feel about the AF?
This may help: over at dpreview someone pointed out that Pentax's focus sensor points are relatively much bigger than the dots you seen on the screen. This means anything in a bigger box that could be in focus easier will probably be where the camera focuses on. This is probably why Pentax separated the points more vs the K-7 (they mentioned this separation in their press release of the K-5 as a new feature).

Would be nice if they had a "small spot" like Olympus does but I guess it's up to the hardware also. As long as I can predict where it will focus and I take into account the bigger size, for my needs it will work most of the time.

Hope that helps for you.

- Raist

Paratom

This may help: over at dpreview someone pointed out that Pentax's focus sensor points are relatively much bigger than the dots you seen on the screen. This means anything in a bigger box that could be in focus easier will probably be where the camera focuses on. This is probably why Pentax separated the points more vs the K-7 (they mentioned this separation in their press release of the K-5 as a new feature).

Would be nice if they had a "small spot" like Olympus does but I guess it's up to the hardware also. As long as I can predict where it will focus and I take into account the bigger size, for my needs it will work most of the time.

Hope that helps for you.

- Raist
Raist,
this could very well be one factor for my "problem".
I need to keep an eye on it when it appears.

Peter- this could aslo be the case. I tried to fine adjust but that does not seem so easy.

jonoslack

Raist,
this could very well be one factor for my "problem".
I need to keep an eye on it when it appears.

Peter- this could aslo be the case. I tried to fine adjust but that does not seem so easy.
HI Tom
I think Ricardo has it - the focus points are much larger than they seem - fortunately it's pretty easy to see what it's focused on.
Certainly, I'm finding that with that knowledge, it's pretty accurate and predictable.

Paratom

I tried to fine adjust my lenses.
AF seems very accurate at close distance - the area where I get more problems is around 2-3 meters.
Dont know yet why.

raist3d

I am going to have to 2nd t_streng's finding with the caveat that this is mostly in very low light for me. I understand no camera can have perfect AF but I can't have the K-5 tell me "I focus locked properly" only to find out post capture that's not the case.

I was pretty excited to night to see the camera locking focus and that working, I would have decided to keep it. I can't make that call yet until I can see the AF being predictable. Otherwise, it has to go back.