The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Sapphie

It's gone a bit quiet in this thread lately ...

Nothing arty but here's a couple from a trip to Exmoor yesterday.

I was quite impressed with this one turned out, 18-135mm at 135mm, hand held on a cold and windy day, ISO 200, 1/320th sec f11

and one from the Exmoor Pony centre (48mm, 1/100th sec, f8):

Lee

Sapphie

This one was taken at 78mm. I see some vignetting around this focal length, which seems odd. Anyway, it was easily corrected here using the Lightroom profile for the 18-135mm lens by enabling it within the Lens Correction section of the Develop view. 1/250th sec, f8, ISO 100.

Lee

vincechu

Looks like we're running out of steam perhaps here? ;-) I have to admit I've been really busy with assignments at university (its my final year) so i haven't had much time to take photos.

I really like Carl's (Scho) post #216, the selective color photo is really nice, I like how the composition guides you towards the building - good job!

Lee I really like the 1st photo (the landscape) in #219 - I think you should try to revisit that spot when the sky is more blue and clear - I think it would potentially make a very striking view.

vincechu

Here's two from me, taken with the kit 18-55 WR:

Myself....

IMGP0552 by vincechu89, on Flickr

taken by my girlfriend Emily...

IMGP0550 by vincechu89, on Flickr

I know there's flare there, but not too unsightly i think, I had the hood on but the sun was quite intense and only just out of the frame.

scho

Nice K5 work Sapphie and Vince. I took a week off to get away from the nasty late winter weather. We went to Puerto Rico and stayed in a little beach hotel outside of San Juan at Ocean Park. I posted a few touristy type shots at the link below. Took the K5 with 3 primes (15, 35, 70) that worked out well for this trip.

Puerto Rico

vincechu

Wow a very beautiful set of photos, I love the ocean park beach one the most which you've posted above too. Absolutely stunning, well done.

Just out of interest did u edit the colours in pp? They're stunning, exactly how I want mine to come out

Looks like the 3 primes worked very well. I'm considering selling my 31ltd for the 15 and 35macro as I feel I've limited myself by spending so much on one lens, and the other 2 are much lighter.

I hope u had a great time away, very jealous of u as I've been stuck writing assignments indoors

Last edited:

scho

Wow a very beautiful set of photos, I love the ocean park beach one the most which you've posted above too. Absolutely stunning, well done.

Just out of interest did u edit the colours in pp? They're stunning, exactly how I want mine to come out

Looks like the 3 primes worked very well. I'm considering selling my 31ltd for the 15 and 35macro as I feel I've limited myself by spending so much on one lens, and the other 2 are much lighter.

I hope u had a great time away, very jealous of u as I've been stuck writing assignments indoors
Thanks Vince. No color adjustments, just standard processing of raws in Lightroom. We really enjoyed our stay in PR but came back to 18 inches of snow :thumbdown: that fell the day before we returned.

scho

I feel like I've been transported to Siberia after a week in sunny Puerto Rico. At least we are now in thaw mode. The winter ice dome beneath the falls has finally collapsed and the snow pack is melting. Shot of Taughannock Falls taken in the rain today with K5 + 18-135, three image stitch.

vincechu

...and here I am complaining that 9 degrees celsius is cold!

Carl a very interesting photo and a nice stitch. I like the drama in the waterfall and around the bottom of it. It would be interesting to see a photo without the trees to the left (though i don't know the area, so it may not be possible) as they seem to distract me away from the waterfall.

The 18-135mm is looking a very sharp lens, and perfect for a walk around in those conditions - have to say I'm very tempted to get one myself, though I'm put off by the fairly high price. How does it feel on the K5?

vincechu

Forgot to mention that firmware 1.03 is out for the K5, which promises to fix FF. Hope this concludes all the QC issues for pentax which has surely put off a lot of potential buyers

scho

...and here I am complaining that 9 degrees celsius is cold!

Carl a very interesting photo and a nice stitch. I like the drama in the waterfall and around the bottom of it. It would be interesting to see a photo without the trees to the left (though i don't know the area, so it may not be possible) as they seem to distract me away from the waterfall.

The 18-135mm is looking a very sharp lens, and perfect for a walk around in those conditions - have to say I'm very tempted to get one myself, though I'm put off by the fairly high price. How does it feel on the K5?
Thanks Vince. In the winter season the upper overlook to the falls is barricaded to prevent people from falling off the cliff. I can get a zoomed shot like below that excludes most of the trees (growing out of the side of the cliff), but still not as good as summer/fall shots where I can get right up next to the drop off for a wider view that excludes the trees. Falls height is 215 ft from crest to pool surface (one of the highest free falls east of the rockies).

vincechu

Wow Carl, I really like the black and white version without the trees. I feel the composition is better as it draws us in to the bottom of the falls and keeps our attention there better - well done!:salute:

Just installed firmware 1.03, though I didnt notice much, if any, FF with my K5. Overall I feel it locks on focus much quicker and decisively, both phase detect and contrast detect AF. Weather permitting, I hope to get out and around my university campus to take some photos tomorrow :)

vincechu

Three from Uni today, with the 31ltd - loving the bokeh!

False Smile - I kept cropping the first one but couldn't decide how it should go, in the end i stuck with this though I feel I should have done something to emphasize her expression more

False Smile by vincechu89, on Flickr

A candid of a friend - loving the bokeh

IMGP0658-3 by vincechu89, on Flickr

A book store keeper

Book Store Keeper by vincechu89, on Flickr

I'm trying to get into candid and street photography at the moment, I'm quite comfortable taking photos of friends candid, but strangers are a different story! Felt pretty nervous taking photos in the book store, especially as it was soooo quite - thank Pentax for the quite k5 shutter!

Any C+C welcome :)

scho

Three from Uni today, with the 31ltd - loving the bokeh!

False Smile - I kept cropping the first one but couldn't decide how it should go, in the end i stuck with this though I feel I should have done something to emphasize her expression more

A candid of a friend - loving the bokeh

A book store keeper

I'm trying to get into candid and street photography at the moment, I'm quite comfortable taking photos of friends candid, but strangers are a different story! Felt pretty nervous taking photos in the book store, especially as it was soooo quite - thank Pentax for the quite k5 shutter!

Any C+C welcome :)
Hi Vince,

The people in the background are a bit distracting in the first portrait. Second is much better and agree that bokeh with that 31 is very nice. I also can't find the focus point in the bookstore image. Perhaps you were moving the camera when the shutter was released? I've had an occasional image like that where everything is OOF and attributed them to hurried shooting and/or SR malfunction.

JMaher

I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

Jim

vincechu

Ecsh and carl, I agree about the bookstore image, it's quite a heavy crop so that kind of removes some sharpness. I also took the photo in a rush as I didn't want the store owner to notice me, and think pressed the focus button whilst moving the camera to compose, so it's likely the focus point is elsewhere, on the original landscape orientated shot, it looks like a box to the left (cropped out) is what's focused on. Oh also turned the AF confirm beep off to be stealthy, kind of back fired on me ;-)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice - I treated myself with the gear, so I've decided that I've got to improve my skill to be worthy of it :)

lessons learned for next time: keep composed shooting candids and watch out for distractions in the backgrounds :)

vincechu

I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

Jim
Hey Jim, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your choice. The 43 limited is a very very fine lens, especially as it is much cheaper than the 31 and has a similar level of image quality. I would have chosen it had I not found a 31 at a very good price. I guess you have to ask yourself what type of photos you mainly take? Also did you find the 43 too long or too short?

I'd recommend testing a K5 instore before you buy, and looking at the serial numbers, on pentaxforums serial number database, it seems all those begining with 38----- are stained. Fingers crossed you get a good one :)

Sapphie

This is one of three shots since my 1.03 firmware upgrade. It's dark outside and not a lot of light inside. All I did to this was put NR at 20 and clarity at 30 in Lightroom.

18-135mm at 68mm. ISO 3200. 1/10th sec, f6.3 hand held. SR on!

Sapphie had long ago stolen my seat and really just wanted to be left alone!

Lee

JMaher

Vince,

I liked the 43, just looking at options before I make the purchase. I have a fairly full Canon set of lenses and a 5D2 to cover anything if I really need to. This is meant to be a fun carry anywhere, in any weather, lighter alternative. Vacation shots, shots of friends, probably urban landscapes, who knows?

Jim