The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

scho

Carl....nice shot. Corners look sharp enough to me. ;)

R
Thanks Rich. I still like the 18-135 for walking around on those probably going to rain days (fortunately didn't today :)) The lake (Cayuga) and streams draining in along the waterfront are right at flood stage and we are expecting 3 more days of rain this week which is not good news.

JMaher

Carl,
Nice 18-135 lens shots. I think this lens is underrated as my shots and those on this forum have all been excellent (or in my case, if not, it hasn't been the fault of the lens)
Jim

Armanius

So I FINALLY ordered the 18-135. It was one of the "two" lenses I was originally planning to get when I got the K5. After going through half a dozen other lenses, I finally got the 18-135. It should arrive on Wednesday thanks to Amazon Prime. Amazon is giving a whopping discount on the 18-135 -- nine dollars! It's $490 instead of the usual $499. Woohoo!!! :)

markwon

That makes a lot of sense Jono, since landscapes/close-ups make a very small portion of what I shoot. Not too exacting in corner sharpness for that reason. Wish it could have worked out for you. One of the things I really like about the 16-50 over the slower zooms is the isolation you get at 50 and f2.8. The portrait I posted was at about 35mm, f2.8, and it was pleasant. With a slower zoom, you end up reaching for a fast prime to isolate.

You might want to try out the Sigma 17-50 f2.8?

HI Mark
I think my problems with the 16-50 were trying to use it for landscape and close up - I'm sure that it's excellent for portrait and candid, and I think it'd be great for wedding as well.

Like you - if I want small primes, then I'll use Leica, the K5 (for me) is for use with zooms / macros / telephotos - basically the bits I can't do with the Leica.

all the best

scho

Carl,
Nice 18-135 lens shots. I think this lens is underrated as my shots and those on this forum have all been excellent (or in my case, if not, it hasn't been the fault of the lens)
Jim
Thanks Jim. I agree, the 18-135 consistently performs well for my needs.

benroy

Subscriber Member
21DA redivivus: I had put this lens up for sale...it didn't get a nibble, so I put it in the lens drawer. I go out each AM for my "dawn patrol" pics and take a different lens each day...today I took the 21...and I think the results were quite pleasing. Old timers will remember the Zeiss and Leica 21s with fondness...they were briliiant and very sharp. The 21DA is not in that category...but...this is a very nice lens, renders fine detail well...just not in the league with the Leica and Zeiss versions...neither is the price! 8x10 prints: you won't see much of a difference...11x17s: you'll pick up the differences right away.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Rich M

Old timers will remember the Zeiss and Leica 21s with fondness...they were briliiant and very sharp. The 21DA is not in that category...but...this is a very nice lens, renders fine detail well...just not in the league with the Leica and Zeiss versions..
Roy Benson
Nice detail Roy....you were lucky to keep it.

R

scho

Couple more bird shots from this afternoon with the 55-300. Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

I've had the 43mm Ltd for about a week and have had little or no time to actually use it... so sitting in front of the TV....

ISO 800 f/1.9 @ 1/20 hand held

I really love the way this lens renders the OOF areas.. while some have said it is not very sharp wide open, my mileage has differed... that's not to say that at f/4 it's not amazingly sharp but at f/1.9 it's quite sharp enough when a shallow DOF is desired.

I have a feeling the 43 will become my "almost always mounted" lens for the K5.

Daddy Likes.. very much.

So this almost completes my lenses for the K5. Just need a tele/zoom and a wide angle and I should be done. The 31, 35 macro, 43 and 77 along with the 18-135 are a pretty good selection for what and how I shoot but I am still looking for a fast tele/zoom.

Rich M

The 31, 35 macro, 43 and 77 along with the 18-135 are a pretty good selection for what and how I shoot but I am still looking for a fast tele/zoom.
Here are some shots with the 200mm.....it was mounted on the camera ALL weekend long.

On the trail:

I lichens it !!!!! :ROTFL:

R

jonoslack

Hi Jim
I love the book shot - just don't tempt me with the 43 (so easy to just nip up the road and buy one).

Rich - those 200mm shots are lovely - I'm lichen kindof a guy myself! I especially like the last one with the post - lovely bokeh!

here is something a little different from a trip to Holland last week (my was it windy!).

35 limited macro

all the best
Jono

benroy

Subscriber Member
Nice BW pic of the keys, Jim. Deep, deep blacks!

Rich: pretty decent lens, the 200, isn't it? Thanks for the comments on the 21DA.

Roy Benson

JMaher

Jim , Nice moody B&W.

Rich, I am not normally a tele kind of guy but the 200 shots look great. Good color, nicely blurred backgrounds.

Jono, Stop showing off the 35. This system is already getting too expensive.

Jim

scho

I've had the 43mm Ltd for about a week and have had little or no time to actually use it... so sitting in front of the TV....
I really love the way this lens renders the OOF areas.. while some have said it is not very sharp wide open, my mileage has differed... that's not to say that at f/4 it's not amazingly sharp but at f/1.9 it's quite sharp enough when a shallow DOF is desired.

I have a feeling the 43 will become my "almost always mounted" lens for the K5.

Daddy Likes.. very much.

So this almost completes my lenses for the K5. Just need a tele/zoom and a wide angle and I should be done. The 31, 35 macro, 43 and 77 along with the 18-135 are a pretty good selection for what and how I shoot but I am still looking for a fast tele/zoom.
Jim,

The 43 is a very nice lens and the OOF transitions really are special.

Here are some shots with the 200mm.....it was mounted on the camera ALL weekend long.

I lichens it !!!!! :ROTFL:

R
Rich,
Very nice series with the 200. Beautiful bokeh from that lens.

Hi Jim
here is something a little different from a trip to Holland last week (my was it windy!).
35 limited macro

all the best
Jono
Jono,

Very nice landscape with the 35 macro. I need to start using this lens more often.

scho

Last of my bird series with the 55-300.

Male Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Female Rose Breasted Grosbeak

This little guy hangs out under the feeder.