The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

jonoslack

thanks Jono-I am not sure if the focus is spot on in this image though ;)
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well, I assumed you were focusing on the fourteenth snowflake from the left and the 234th one from the top? Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong.

jonoslack

Then, when I got home, the sun was shining through the kitchen window.

again - all with the little 18-135, it may not be perfect, but it's remarkably good!

raist3d

You know that plate with grapes looks *really good*. That's the kind of color I wanted to see. All that with that lens? Maybe I should get that one and use it for weddings, skip on the high end one? I wonder.

- Raist

jonoslack

You know that plate with grapes looks *really good*. That's the kind of color I wanted to see. All that with that lens? Maybe I should get that one and use it for weddings, skip on the high end one? I wonder.

- Raist
It's so difficult isn't it. Certainly, as a 'walk about' lens, it's a cut above the rest - and of course the high ISO makes it even better. But it is a bit slow (not slow to focus however).

But I don't think it's as good as the 16-50 when that's good - just that the two copies I had were not evenly good. I might easily try again.

This lens does seem pretty consistent.

Incidentally, all were shot raw and processed in aperture - no colour changes, just a little exposure / levels adjustment where it seemed appropriate.

all the best

Diane B

What lovely images Jono. I'm a sucker for those from everyday around home life, as you know. I also saw your well thought out reasoning of why NOT to go MF. It's hard to resist those urges when you can swing the purchase and I give you a lot of credit for understanding why you think your photography succeeds.

Diane

ecsh

What lovely images Jono. I'm a sucker for those from everyday around home life, as you know. I also saw your well thought out reasoning of why NOT to go MF. It's hard to resist those urges when you can swing the purchase and I give you a lot of credit for understanding why you think your photography succeeds.

Diane
Same here as well. I was reading the S2 thread. Why does it seem to be that MF shooters are higher maintenance, LOL
I can see where you photography could actually suffer using a camera such as the S2. What may have been instinctual before, could be lost.

jonoslack

Diane and ecsh
Thank you - I'm definitely a toys kind of a guy, but I do realise that it's rather at odds with any kind of skill I might have as a photographer. But I really wanted an S2 - I think it's beautiful, and beautifully designed . . . but actually that's not it's purpose.

I have a little (childish) saw which I have to keep repeating to myself:

If it's interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good . . . . and if it isn't interesting, nobody cares at all.

Medium format can certainly help one to technically good, but if that's all it does?

P

photogerald

What focal length do you typically use for weddings?

I was going to suggest pairing the DA18-135 with the DA*60-250, but if you need f2.8 at shorter FLs, then the DA*16-50 might suit your needs better (provided you can find a good copy of this lens).

Paratom

Again, I really like those images Jono and while I stay with my opinion that the K5 images do not have the last claritiy and byting sharpness I find them exceptiopnal regarding color and "film like" look. Overall very much to my taste.

MPK2010

I especially like these two - great colour and depth on the first one . . . and then there's something splendidly camp about the pose in the black and white shot. Excellent!
Thanks! The shot of the grapes shows great color and light. And t_streng I like the below snow shot -- those are the conditions I bought the K-5 for. Hopefully I'll get some chance to put it to use over the holiday.

P

photogerald

Again, I really like those images Jono and while I stay with my opinion that the K5 images do not have the last claritiy and byting sharpness I find them exceptiopnal regarding color and "film like" look. Overall very much to my taste.
Is this assessment based on in-camera JPGs or JPGs processed from RAW? If it's the former, you can try playing with the in-camera sharpness settings - Extra Fine Sharpness +1 or +2 seems to work well from what I've seen.

m3photo

Re: Film-like Look

Again, I really like those images ../.. I find them exceptional regarding color and "film like" look. Overall very much to my taste.
Mine too. In fact it's what prompted me to buy my first Pentax DSLR, the K10D and now considering retiring the K20D for the K5.

Paratom

Is this assessment based on in-camera JPGs or JPGs processed from RAW? If it's the former, you can try playing with the in-camera sharpness settings - Extra Fine Sharpness +1 or +2 seems to work well from what I've seen.
from dng converted in LR, with noise reduction turned of and sharpness slightly increased.

jonoslack

Here are a couple with the (soon to go back) 15mm:

f7.1 (and still soft off centre - even at this resolution)

Still, sometimes the curvature of field (towards one at the corners / edges) can work in one's favour.
The DR of the camera never ceases to amaze me - just a few minutes in Aperture to bring up the foreground:

jonoslack

Here are some with the (absolutely here to stay) 100 macro WR

of course, with APS-c it's tough to control DOF:ROTFL: (at least, that's what everyone tells me)

jonoslack

Ah yes, then there's these three - also from the fen - I like them
again, all with the 100 WR macro - which, unlike almost any other macro I've used (apart from the pentax 35) actually has a very presentable bokeh, and is almost unbelievably small!

So - now - Michael - you'd better nip out and get your K5 quick - Tom and Ricardo - you aren't pulling your weight - anybody else - please join in!

biglouis

Jono

Please stop posting these pictures. They are really making me lust for a K-5. That puddle shot has fantastic luminance, sharpness and bokeh.

LouisB