The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

scho

Hi Carl
Lots of great shots - the glassware is almost as over the top as Murano Glass, but the pictures along the creek are splendid, and the 6400 iSO shots are another example of why the camera is such a fine piece of kit.

Great Stuff - keep it up!
Thank you Jono. I'm quite impressed by the dynamic range of the K5 sensor and the camera performance has been superb.

jonoslack

HI There
I sent the 15 back - and swapped it (rather cautiously) with the Sigma 10-20 f35 HSM. Nice lens, still small, and although you need to stop it down a bit wide open, it's really rather good.

So - two small(ish) lenses take you from an equivalent 15mm - 200mm, without too many compromises.

scho

HI There
I sent the 15 back - and swapped it (rather cautiously) with the Sigma 10-20 f35 HSM. Nice lens, still small, and although you need to stop it down a bit wide open, it's really rather good.

So - two small(ish) lenses take you from an equivalent 15mm - 200mm, without too many compromises.

Lovely seascape and dramatic sky. That Sigma 10-20 might be worth considering for ultra wide coverage below my 21 prime. Is the lens weather sealed?

emr

That Sigma 10-20 might be worth considering for ultra wide coverage below my 21 prime. Is the lens weather sealed?
To my knowledge none of the third party K mount lenses are weather sealed. Don't know why.

Jono, you sure go through all the available gear fast. Is the K-5 going back soon too? ;)

jonoslack

To my knowledge none of the third party K mount lenses are weather sealed. Don't know why.

Jono, you sure go through all the available gear fast. Is the K-5 going back soon too? ;)
Quite Right - not weather resistant.
The K5 is past it's 'go back' date, and anyway, I rather like it, but of course, it might be sold next week. . . . . . . .
It's poor lenses that go back fastest.:)

scho

Too bad. I would that think that Sigma might make a few weather sealed lenses for the new weather resistant SD1.

Quite Right - not weather resistant.
The K5 is past it's 'go back' date, and anyway, I rather like it, but of course, it might be sold next week. . . . . . . .
It's poor lenses that go back fastest.:)
I'm just warming up to this little marvel so mine is staying for awhile.

Another shot taken yesterday when the sun actually made a rare appearance for a couple of hours. Very contrasty scene, but the K5 handled it fairly well.

jonoslack

Too bad. I would that think that Sigma might make a few weather sealed lenses for the new weather resistant SD1.

I'm just warming up to this little marvel so mine is staying for awhile.
HI Carl
Nice shot.
Like you I'm warming up to it as well - my remarks were simply glib remarks to EMR - mine is also definitely staying.

As for weatherproof lenses - I'm not too fussed that all lenses should be weatherproof - it's the body which really matters, but as long as there are a couple of weatherproof lenses, others can stay in the bag when it's tonking it down.

all the best

vincechu

Hi Jono,

just wondered if you could tell me where you get your pentax gear from, I'm in the UK too, and although I've tried the d7000 for a week, I'm leaning towards the K5 - I tried it a week ago and it just felt so right, ergonomics spot on and SR would help my type of shooting. I'm just looking for somewhere with a great returns policy/after sales service in case any issues come up.

Many thanks
Vince

scho

Bright colors with the Pentax K5. 35mm f/2.8 used for the following.

Red Swing

Yellow Trailer

vincechu

Bright colors with the Pentax K5. 35mm f/2.8 used for the following.

Red Swing

Yellow Trailer

Great vibrant colors here :thumbup: I 'red' about a problem about how the k5 renders reds, but I dont see any issues here ;)

The 35mm f2.8 looks a stellar lens from what I've seen here and online, I'm considering getting it and a K5, may I have your thoughts on this combo?

Thanks in advance

scho

Great vibrant colors here :thumbup: I 'red' about a problem about how the k5 renders reds, but I dont see any issues here ;)

The 35mm f2.8 looks a stellar lens from what I've seen here and online, I'm considering getting it and a K5, may I have your thoughts on this combo?

Thanks in advance
Hi Vince,

The 35mm f/2.8 macro ltd was the first lens I purchased for the K5 and the one I've been using most often. Sharp across the frame, good bokeh, and a good fit for the K5. Works well for me as a general purpose walkabout lens and the macro function is a bonus feature.

scho

A couple taken today with the K5 and 18-135 WR.

Squirrel posing for portrait

Ice accumulation in local gorge trail (closed until early May).

scho

More local wildlife posing for portraits.;)

Pentax K5 with the 70mm f/2.4 limited.

scho

The red swing again, but this time on a gray, bleak day taken with the 21mm f/3.2 limited.

scho

The "posing" squirrel is back again, but he looks a bit chilly today. Pentax K5 with 18-135.

nostatic

Great to see these images - just gorgeous. I've been fairly absent for quite some time as I've been doing mostly music the past year and I seem to obey a law of conversation of creative endeavors. That said I've still been shooting some, and my g/f has become defacto band photographer. She's been swapping between DLux4 (I bought her one and have one as well) and the Canon 5D2 that I got when I sold off my Pentax stuff some time back. We've gotten some great shots with the 5D2 but I've never really bonded with it, especially for "walkabout" shooting, though I do dearly love the 70-200 f4 zoom. The K5 has me wondering though, as the 5D2 struggles in low light (which most of our gig of course are), and seems that being able to go 6400 or 12800 and get usable shots would be quite cool.

feh - more money out the door. At any rate, my creative endeavors the past year: http://nostatic.com/music

scho

Great to see these images - just gorgeous. I've been fairly absent for quite some time as I've been doing mostly music the past year and I seem to obey a law of conversation of creative endeavors. That said I've still been shooting some, and my g/f has become defacto band photographer. She's been swapping between DLux4 (I bought her one and have one as well) and the Canon 5D2 that I got when I sold off my Pentax stuff some time back. We've gotten some great shots with the 5D2 but I've never really bonded with it, especially for "walkabout" shooting, though I do dearly love the 70-200 f4 zoom. The K5 has me wondering though, as the 5D2 struggles in low light (which most of our gig of course are), and seems that being able to go 6400 or 12800 and get usable shots would be quite cool.

feh - more money out the door. At any rate, my creative endeavors the past year: http://nostatic.com/music
I also never really warmed up to my 5DII as I have with the K5. Image quality seems to be comparable between the two, but I much prefer the smaller size and features of the Pentax.