The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

emr

Re: 18-135mm

On my Mac EXIF data will be displayed by simply control/clicking on the image. Lee's first image was 18mm at f/11 and second was 36mm at f/11.
With which browser is that and do you have any extra plugins installed? My Firefox does this, but it demands the FXIF plugin to work.

As a second question to everybody owning the K-5 + 18-135mm combo. How well would that work as a single lens holiday camera? Meaning that while the lens isn't exactly fast, would the camera's high ISO compensate for that?

scho

With which browser is that and do you have any extra plugins installed? My Firefox does this, but it demands the FXIF plugin to work.

As a second question to everybody owning the K-5 + 18-135mm combo. How well would that work as a single lens holiday camera? Meaning that while the lens isn't exactly fast, would the camera's high ISO compensate for that?
Question 1:
I'm using Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), OS 10.6.6. Just noticed that there is an ExifExt extension installed for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/#photos

Question 2:
I'm debating that very issue for my upcoming spring break holiday. I think that the K5's high ISO capability could probably handle the slow lens speed of the 18-135 for the types of low light scenarios I'm anticipating. My concern is street walking in a crowded environment with the zoom (relatively compact, but still an obvious zoom) compared to something more discrete like one of the limiteds. In terms of carry weight it is a toss up between the zoom and two or three small primes. Same for image quality.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi There
Yes - absolutely - if that focal length range floats your boat (I'd like a little wider as well). The fact that you can really shoot up to ISO 6400 makes the combination absolutely fine.

I really can't imagine a better single lens combo - weather sealed, small, decent quality and really good fun to use.

I've got several other lenses - all of them perfectly good, but they don't seem to get much of a look-in.

Carl - thanks for the tip on the Safari extension - it was the work of a second, and thoroughly useful.

all the best

JMaher

Was I too hasty?

I really do like what I see on this forum and it's obvious that most have not seen the obvious foucusing issues that I encountered.

I am still looking for a samll carry around kit and I don't see too many options that appeal to me. I tried m 4/3, I have a nice Canon 5D2 but I want somethibg small that I am likely to take everywhere. Should I take another chance here or go with something like a used M8 and two lens option. Unfortunately I have never tried an M8 or M9.

Jim

m3photo

Re: EXIF - Safari

Question 1:
I'm using Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), OS 10.6.6. Just noticed that there is an ExifExt extension installed for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/#photos
Thanks Carl.
However, despite having exactly the same Safari and OS versions and having "successfully" installed it i.e. it says it's installed correctly and I now have the EXIF addendum after the right click, no matter how many images I try it on nothing happens. AIMS (Am I missing something)?

jonoslack

Re: Was I too hasty?

I really do like what I see on this forum and it's obvious that most have not seen the obvious foucusing issues that I encountered.

I am still looking for a samll carry around kit and I don't see too many options that appeal to me. I tried m 4/3, I have a nice Canon 5D2 but I want somethibg small that I am likely to take everywhere. Should I take another chance here or go with something like a used M8 and two lens option. Unfortunately I have never tried an M8 or M9.

Jim
Hi Jim
I still think that the K5 with the 18-135 is the perfect small 'carry around' kit - it's about the same size as an M8 with a 50 summilux.

So - if you liked the image quality, why not wait for a week or so to see if Pentax comes out with another firmware update . . . or else you could just try another camera to see if you had a duff one?

I'm certainly not seeing issues with mine.

scho

Thanks Carl.
However, despite having exactly the same Safari and OS versions and having "successfully" installed it i.e. it says it's installed correctly and I now have the EXIF addendum after the right click, no matter how many images I try it on nothing happens. AIMS (Am I missing something)?
Hi Michael,

When you control click on an image you should get a drop down menu with several options, including the Show EXIF for image xxxx option. When you select the show exif option a small, transparent, dark gray panel should display over the upper left corner of the image with a list of the exif data. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear.

Sapphie

Jono

It's been a bit dull here today so I am trying some shots at 135mm of some quite close objects like flower buds/leaves etc against clear backgrounds. All hand held but I have been varying the AF adjustment as I was convinced the lens was maybe front-focusing.

After sending myself slightly crazy, the sharpest images are not consistently at any AF adjustment. Which suggests it is mostly my technique hand-holding a 200mm equivalent zoom. Even the mighty SR can't always help me be consistent at this FL.

Anyway, sky is brightening up so I am off for a quick walk,

Lee

m3photo

When you control click on an image you should get a drop down menu with several options, including the Show EXIF for image xxxx option. When you select the show exif option a small, transparent, dark gray panel should display over the upper left corner of the image with a list of the exif data. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear.
Once again, thanks Carl. It must be that one has to restart the computer (or at least in my case this has been the solution) for this "upgrade" to work.
Funny how the new 18-135 lens is called an "8 215" though. :)

scho

Once again, thanks Carl. It must be that one has to restart the computer (or at least in my case this has been the solution) for this "upgrade" to work.
Funny how the new 18-135 lens is called an "8 215" though. :)
Glad that you have it working. The "8 215" designation for the 18-135 is strange. I'll have to check the developer's website to see if he has a newer version with bug fixes.

Sapphie

Snatched moments, all 135mm, f/8:

Tips of two canoes resting against a barn

Spring catkins

Weird misty/cloudy light, time to go home

Lee

scho

Snatched moments, all 135mm, f/8:

Tips of two canoes resting against a barn
Spring catkins
Weird misty/cloudy light, time to go home
Lee
Lee,

Nice, clear shots. I particularly liked the composition of the first with the canoes. No AF problems on this trip?

scho

Glad that you have it working. The "8 215" designation for the 18-135 is strange. I'll have to check the developer's website to see if he has a newer version with bug fixes.
There is a newer version available on the website that offers a command-E alternative for bringing up the exif data, but I don't see any changes in the 18-135 info - still "8 215".

scho

A lampost outside the local park skating rink covered with tickets. K5 with the 21mm f/3.2 Limited.

Sapphie

Lee,

Nice, clear shots. I particularly liked the composition of the first with the canoes. No AF problems on this trip?
Hi Carl

Thanks. Oddly they seemed better, the catkins picture particularly well-focused. I was resting on the wall of a bridge at the time but what might be more relevant - I noticed later that I had switched off SR in earlier testing and forgotten to switch it back on again. I would need to try this some more to know whether pictures being better without SR was a fluke or not.

BTW, Carl, for the shots you have uploaded here, did you use a tripod or were they all hand held?

Lee

Sapphie

As I said, I would not want to start a 'SR causes blurry photos' thread but I do wonder what SR is doing. It is known that it is 'less effective' when the subject is closer but 'less effective' shouldn't mean 'makes it worse'. I use central point AF and my shooting style, ingrained after years of cameras with no SR is to depress the shutter half way to focus on the object I want to be sharp, then keep the shutter half-pressed, recompose, still keeping it half pressed whilst I wait to convince myself the camera is steady, then shoot.

Question is - what is SR doing all the time I have the shutter half pressed? Even if this is not my cause of 'less than perfect' shots, I'd like to know anyway.

Lee

scho

Hi Carl

Thanks. Oddly they seemed better, the catkins picture particularly well-focused. I was resting on the wall of a bridge at the time but what might be more relevant - I noticed later that I had switched off SR in earlier testing and forgotten to switch it back on again. I would need to try this some more to know whether pictures being better without SR was a fluke or not.

BTW, Carl, for the shots you have uploaded here, did you use a tripod or were they all hand held?

Lee
All of my shots with the K5 have been hand held, with SR on.