The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

jonoslack

Nice gorse, Jono. That yellow gorse you get near the Cornish coast with a blue sea as background can be magical. I managed to escape seeing the silver K5 today cos the dealer said he had an interested customer in his 'other' store in Barnstaple and I don't think he really thought I'd buy it seeing that he knew I had a black one already! It would make more sense to buy some extra lenses ...

Hope the weather cheers up for you

Lee
HI There Lee
We went out for a cloudy walk on the cliffs . . . .and when I got the camera out it said 'no card installed' . . . . . fortunately the car had some SD cards in for music, so I nabbed one of them . . . . Then . . .
The sun came out . . . . . did you say gorse and sea?

This is where we went:

I still think it's the most beautiful beach I've ever seen - we climbed down with the dog, and there was only one other person there - time for an hour sunbathing a couple of swims and some photography. What could be nicer!

There are some who feel that bathing in the North Atlantic in April is :loco:
(my wife for one) but I find it quite exhilirating :bugeyes:

More pictures later (Oh Yes!)

jonoslack

I purposely try to avoid this thread. :).

So the silver has deeper grip, different screen, what else?
Nothing I think Terry - the back and top LCDs are scratch resistant, and it's silver - I'm not really convinced by the thicker grip - but then I have small hands.

Great photos from everyone. I need to get out from working and go photograph something.

Jono -I thought you had gotten ride of the 16-50. Is this a new one?

Jim
HI Jim - I thought I'd give it another try - third time lucky and all - the jury is still out on this one.

Sapphie

Jono

Great shots, ah, wish we were there. Pedn Vounder? It is majestic. We never quite manage the courage for the scramble down the rocks but have walked out at low tide from Porthcurno. We have been holidaying in this part of Cornwall for 20 years, so I have plenty of shots but no K-5s yet :)

If you have time, try the 'Nanjizel', it is spectacular. Easiest way is to park at Trevescan, a little hamlet near the main Lands End road. I expect you already know it. Although, the footpath does cross a field (suspect muddy at the moment!)

Swim? Yikes!

Sorry to barge in with some unashamed Cornwall love ...

Lee

jonoslack

HI There Lee
Jono

Great shots, ah, wish we were there. Pedn Vounder? It is majestic. We never quite manage the courage for the scramble down the rocks but have walked out at low tide from Porthcurno. We have been holidaying in this part of Cornwall for 20 years, so I have plenty of shots but no K-5s yet :)
Oh - Pedney is really my favorite beach, but nowadays it's really too crowded in the summer - but on sunny days out of season it's heavenly, and protected from the prevailing south west wind as well. The climb down isn't too bad - used to do it with two dogs and three children under 6, that was tiring however, as you have to do the last bit over again! Caspar (the dog) finds it terrifyingly easy!)
If you have time, try the 'Nanjizel', it is spectacular. Easiest way is to park at Trevescan, a little hamlet near the main Lands End road. I expect you already know it. Although, the footpath does cross a field (suspect muddy at the moment!)

Swim? Yikes!

Sorry to barge in with some unashamed Cornwall love ...

Lee
Nanjizel eh?

This was one of the first pictures I took with my first M8, back in December 2006. We don't go as often, but I agree, it is lovely - no idea if there's any sand this year (it's often just boulders).

Truth is, I was born in StIves, and went to school in Penzance, we have a house at Brane which used to belong to Emma's parents, but we don't get down as often as we would like.

Whereabouts to you stay?

oops . . . :OT: Sorry Chaps!

scho

HI There Lee
We went out for a cloudy walk on the cliffs . . . .and when I got the camera out it said 'no card installed' . . . . . fortunately the car had some SD cards in for music, so I nabbed one of them . . . . Then . . .
The sun came out . . . . . did you say gorse and sea?

I still think it's the most beautiful beach I've ever seen - we climbed down with the dog, and there was only one other person there - time for an hour sunbathing a couple of swims and some photography. What could be nicer!

There are some who feel that bathing in the North Atlantic in April is :loco:
(my wife for one) but I find it quite exhilirating :bugeyes:

More pictures later (Oh Yes!)
Jono,

That is truly a gorgeous beach and I agree with your wife :loco:. Did she get any shots of you swimming or shivering? :ROTFL:

Sapphie

Brilliant picture, wonderful light.

And I take it that Casper was looking out for seals? I'd love to post some pics of mine but they would be way off topic. I'll excuse you though.
(We rent a cottage in Porthgwarra if we can, final off topic answer)

Looking forward to more K-5 shots, IMHO, the most WYSIWYG (and more!) digital camera I have owned (others have been Minolta Dimage, Pentax *ist DS, K20D, Sony R1 (real cracker), Panasonic G1)

Lee

Last edited:

scho

A few walkabout shots taken today along the waterfront trail. K5+43mm ltd.

For the convenience of the dog walkers:

Wind beads in the children's garden:

Multicolor swing:

Thistle:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Very nice pics, Jim. Ringling Museum and Art Gallery was one of our favorite places to visit with the kids...when the kids were kids.

Roy Benson

ashwinrao1

Some happy snaps with a lovely lens, the 50 mm f/1.4 SMC-M lens....lovely dreamish look wide open, and cleans up tidy by f/2.8, handles quite smoothly, and easy to focus manually with the proper focusing screen...

benroy

Subscriber Member
Ashwin: great B&W images! Reminds me of the good old days: M3/50 Summicron/Tri-X. Did you use K-5 in-camera options to shoot these? Or did you use B&W film simulating software?

Roy Benson

Last edited:

JMaher

Ashwin,

Very nice b&w shots. I am not sure I could still focus any where near this well with a manual focus lens. At least not quick enough to capture the moment.

Jim

ashwinrao1

Thanks, Hired, Roy, Lee, and Jim....

Hired...haha, at least Pentax SMC-M and K mount lenses are quite a bit cheaper than their Leica counterparts. I am quite impressed with the 50 mm SMC-M f/1.4, and it cost me $120 from KEH...Not a bad price for a fast 50 that is lovely wide open and stops down very well....

Lee, I am using a Katzeye focusing screen for the K5 (without the Optibright treatment), and I find that it makes MF easier, certainly in bright daylight...

Jim,
I concur the MF is harder here than on camera such as the M9, but it's still quite doable with more static subjects. These kids were a challenge, especially given that using the Katzeye screen is more difficult in low light... Thankfully, PEntax's AF options are abundant and great to use in practice as well..

jonoslack

Ashwin - lovely black and white - splendid.

Here are a couple more seaside snaps. At this time of year you expect to be swaddled in layers of material with walking boots, but we were sunbathing and swimming (brrr). There was another couple on the beach, and a few dog walkers so that Caspar could have a bit of fun:

I think the expression is 'We wish you were here'

These were all taken with the humble 18-135