The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Armanius

I have to decide before the end of the day tomorrow whether or not to return the K5. Love just about everything on the K5 -- except the size and weight!

So I'm afraid I won't carry it with me enough. Gulp! In an ideal world I would make the K-5 the same size and weight as the GH2 and with a swivel LCD. But this isn't an ideal world. :cry:

That being said, here are some pics. Most are with the Sigma 17-50. One with the FA43. Siggy is a pretty nice lens, except when it front focuses.

I must admit that with the whole front focus issue with the K5, I've scrutinized the focus of every photo I've taken with the K5 more than I have ever done with any other camera. And unfortunately, I am seeing more out of focus photos than normal. Not sure if it's the camera, lens, me, or just plain psychological games that I'm playing with myself.

ashwinrao1

Sounds like the gh-2 is the way to go for you, Armando. I am loving everything about the K5. I like rye weight and density...m9 like, and with the pancakes on, it's tiny. I haven't had much front focus, after the firmware upgrade.

Time to sell it off or return it, methinks...for e, an absolute keeper it is....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@Armanius

understand you - really!

Had exactly the same focusing issues with my K5 and also I did not see the size advantage in combination with zooms. And while using primes - which most are very good - this does not come to the level of an M9 with Leica primes, but the M9 is generally smaller.

So finally I returned this camera. And am happy now with GH2 and E5 instead!

iiiNelson

I have to decide before the end of the day tomorrow whether or not to return the K5. Love just about everything on the K5 -- except the size and weight!

So I'm afraid I won't carry it with me enough. Gulp! In an ideal world I would make the K-5 the same size and weight as the GH2 and with a swivel LCD. But this isn't an ideal world. :cry:

That being said, here are some pics. Most are with the Sigma 17-50. One with the FA43. Siggy is a pretty nice lens, except when it front focuses.

I must admit that with the whole front focus issue with the K5, I've scrutinized the focus of every photo I've taken with the K5 more than I have ever done with any other camera. And unfortunately, I am seeing more out of focus photos than normal. Not sure if it's the camera, lens, me, or just plain psychological games that I'm playing with myself.

Whether you keep it or not you're certainly doing alright with the camera. I haven't been to Rudy's in forever... their slogan always made me laugh. The "worst" Bar-B-Q in Texas. Of course I haven't had too much bad Bar-B-Q in Texas although I can certainly tell when someone's cheating by trying to boil the meat before they smoke it. Years of having truly slow cooked meat I guess.

Back on topic though. The best camera is the one that's with you and if you already foresee the K5 being too large then just work with the GH2 sing. Size was one of my motivations for me dumping my Canon for a G1.

Armanius

Whether you keep it or not you're certainly doing alright with the camera. I haven't been to Rudy's in forever... their slogan always made me laugh. The "worst" Bar-B-Q in Texas. Of course I haven't had too much bad Bar-B-Q in Texas although I can certainly tell when someone's cheating by trying to boil the meat before they smoke it. Years of having truly slow cooked meat I guess.

Back on topic though. The best camera is the one that's with you and if you already foresee the K5 being too large then just work with the GH2 sing. Size was one of my motivations for me dumping my Canon for a G1.
Rudy's is my favorite BBQ joint. Love the "extra moist" brisket. I thought about posting a photo of the brisket, but I didn't want to gross out any veggans in this forum! ;) You ought to go back soon. What part of TX are you in? I was thrilled when they finally opened a Rudy's in Houston. We now have two.

Armanius

Sounds like the gh-2 is the way to go for you, Armando. I am loving everything about the K5. I like rye weight and density...m9 like, and with the pancakes on, it's tiny. I haven't had much front focus, after the firmware upgrade.

Time to sell it off or return it, methinks...for e, an absolute keeper it is....
The off focus seems to happen even in daylight. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I believe the firmware upgrade was addressing the front focus that was supposedly happening all the time under tungsten light conditions.

As for the size, the M9 is actually lighter and more compact than the K5. Unless of course I put a Noctilux on the M9. Unfortunately, that's not something I have to worry about, because I don't have a Noct ... :cry:

The IQ of the K-5 is awesome though. ISO performance is easily one stop if not two better than the GH2. It's a matter of trying to figure out how the K-5 would fit in my camera lineup though, (which already probably has way too many overlap), and if the K-5 will get used enough.

Armanius

@Armanius

understand you - really!

Had exactly the same focusing issues with my K5 and also I did not see the size advantage in combination with zooms. And while using primes - which most are very good - this does not come to the level of an M9 with Leica primes, but the M9 is generally smaller.

So finally I returned this camera. And am happy now with GH2 and E5 instead!
Thanks Peter! Love those landscape photos of yours!

I do believe the E5 is heavier (and definitely) bigger than the K5 though. Did you get the E5 before the K5? Love the ZD 12-60. It worked wonders on the E510/620 I used to have. So did the ZD 50/2. Now they are working wonders for my Dad!

iiiNelson

Rudy's is my favorite BBQ joint. Love the "extra moist" brisket. I thought about posting a photo of the brisket, but I didn't want to gross out any veggans in this forum! ;) You ought to go back soon. What part of TX are you in? I was thrilled when they finally opened a Rudy's in Houston. We now have two.
I'm from Houston originally but I live mostly in California (well for about another month anyway.) I'm switching coasts (again) for work. As for Rudy's there was one about 15 minutes from where I used to live in San Antonio off of 151 near Sea World. I think I remember going to one on I-45N in Houston too with my uncle. It's been a while though.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter! Love those landscape photos of yours!

I do believe the E5 is heavier (and definitely) bigger than the K5 though. Did you get the E5 before the K5? Love the ZD 12-60. It worked wonders on the E510/620 I used to have. So did the ZD 50/2. Now they are working wonders for my Dad!
I actually bought the K5 first, was impressed by all the positive reviews here and it was my 1st Pentax DSLR. Unfortunately I could not get friend with it. Then I returned it and went for the GH2 which is now my always with me camera when I do business trips.

In parallel I was testing the E5 and was so much impressed by it's IQ and also it's handling that I returned all my Nikon gear (including D700) and jumped back on the E5 wagon. I currently use it with the 35-100 and 1.4TC and getting impressive results. I am still waiting for my 14-35 to arrive, should be there in 1 or 2 weeks - obviously the E5 has increased demand for these lenses ;)

I am on the list to get the 2/50 and the 4/7-14 and several primes (Leica, Sigma). I am also using with big success some old OM lenses I managed to get cheaply.

Having great fun with the E5 so far, for sure 200% more than with my D700 or the A900 - but this is maybe only me :)

Armanius

I actually bought the K5 first, was impressed by all the positive reviews here and it was my 1st Pentax DSLR. Unfortunately I could not get friend with it. Then I returned it and went for the GH2 which is now my always with me camera when I do business trips.

In parallel I was testing the E5 and was so much impressed by it's IQ and also it's handling that I returned all my Nikon gear (including D700) and jumped back on the E5 wagon. I currently use it with the 35-100 and 1.4TC and getting impressive results. I am still waiting for my 14-35 to arrive, should be there in 1 or 2 weeks - obviously the E5 has increased demand for these lenses ;)

I am on the list to get the 2/50 and the 4/7-14 and several primes (Leica, Sigma). I am also using with big success some old OM lenses I managed to get cheaply.

Having great fun with the E5 so far, for sure 200% more than with my D700 or the A900 - but this is maybe only me :)
We may be hijacking this thread, but oh well. Your experience certainly speaks volumes for the E5, which has been much maligned in some other forums. The 14-35/2 is certainly to die for. Look forward to seeing your photos with it!

DavidL

The beach shots are at Pedn Vounder (Logan's rock) There's something really exquisite having a beach like that to oneself.

My retirement retires further and further into the future every month - I'm aiming at June 2021, but I doubt I'll manage it!
Know what you mean about beaches, here's a couple of a Devon beach we go to a lot,Thought you'd like the "Tempest" one. Stitched G1 files
So nice to be able to go to a beach, as a midlander it used to be a novelty. I just mess around snapping as it's so long since I've done pics for myself, with work slowing down it means I can just play like I did many many years ago. Well I didn't play digitally then;)

2021 Nooooooooooooooo! reverse the last two numbers and join me:thumbup:

Dave

Last edited:

Paratom

sorry to be off -topic.
Peter, what I am interested in is what specificly you like better in the E5 vs the K5 and D700?
I mean what points handling wise?
WHich points IQ wise?
Which points system wise?

And some specific questions:
-How does the E5 viewfinder compare in size and brightness to the ones of the D700 and K5?
-How do you feel about the DR of the E5 regarding dynamic range (I find it to be one of the not so strong points of m4/3 and thought the E5 sensor should have much in common?)
-How do you feel does the AF compare to the K5 and D700?

I hear you like the E5 a lot but dont hear so much why and I am intersted in that.

JMaher

Armanius,

If you like the size of the GH2 better then it seems to be the camera for you. As for front focus I haven't seen this since I moved to the new firmware.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make. When I had a G1 I couldn't bond with it but I really like the feel of the K5.

Jim

jonoslack

We may be hijacking this thread, but oh well. Your experience certainly speaks volumes for the E5, which has been much maligned in some other forums. The 14-35/2 is certainly to die for. Look forward to seeing your photos with it!
Hi There
Sounds to me like the G2 suits you better . . . the E5 with the 14-35 is obviously a wonderful thing, but it weighs about the same as an A900 with the 24-70 Zeiss - certainly a different and larger beast than the K5, and if that's too big!

Armanius

After much more debatge in my head, I ended up keeping the K-5, and returning the DA21, FA43 and 100 WR for a FA35/2. I will likely get the 18-135 later as well.

DA21 was very nice for daylight use, but a bit slow for me indoors.

FA43 was too long for indoor use, although I love the IQ (as I do with the DA21).

100 WR was the toughest lens to part with. Love the IQ and build. But the AF was beginning to annoy me. Sounds like I'm in a dentist's office whenever the AF doesn't lock. Painful ...

Now I just need to keep on using the K-5 to make it worthwhile. Hopefully, the FA35 will be to my liking.

ashwinrao1

Wow, a suprising decision, Armando. I was expecting the K5 to be on the block. I am not a huge pixel peeper, and I have been very satisfied with my K5. Best of luck with the 35 mm f/2 FA lens. I have heard positives, and it gives you nearly a 50 mm Effective field of view. It's smaller than the 31 FA, which gives it an advantage there....You may want to check out the 77 FA, which has been my favorite lens on the K5 so far, but that's a very personal decision.

Best,
Ashwin

Amin

Thanks, Ashwin! Love the way you captured the students on campus using the 135 mm f/2.5 SMC. Lovely rendering also with that lens.

Amin

Armando, I really like the effect on that Seattle's Best shot. Is that one of the built in film simulations?