The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Armanius

Wow, a suprising decision, Armando. I was expecting the K5 to be on the block. I am not a huge pixel peeper, and I have been very satisfied with my K5. Best of luck with the 35 mm f/2 FA lens. I have heard positives, and it gives you nearly a 50 mm Effective field of view. It's smaller than the 31 FA, which gives it an advantage there....You may want to check out the 77 FA, which has been my favorite lens on the K5 so far, but that's a very personal decision.

Best,
Ashwin
Hey Ashwin! Yeah, I surprised myself after all. Inspite of the bulk, the IQ of the K-5 is just too nice to pass up on. I thought about the new Nikon D5100 with the same sensor, swivel LCD and smaller package. But I just couldn't bear the thought of becoming a Cannikon! LOL! :toocool:

I'm such a ditz though. Now that I've returned all of those lenses, I keep thinking that I should have kept the DA21. Ironically, that was the lens that I was most critical of when I first got them. Oh well.

BTW, did you get a super wide yet? If you get the DA15, I'd be interested in finding out what you think of it. The DA15 probably makes more sense to me than a DA21 as a combo with the upcoming FA35.

Armanius

Armando, I really like the effect on that Seattle's Best shot. Is that one of the built in film simulations?
Cruds ... I already erased the SD card. I don't think the file itself on my computer will tell me what it is. Hmmm ... it may have been the reversal film profile. It's right between the BW and Bleach Bypass.

In LR3.3, I also typically push the light and black sliders almost all the way to the right, as well as the contrast and (sometimes) clarity sliders. Then I decrease the saturation.

Amin

Thanks, Carl! On the whole, I like this combination very much :thumbs:.

Armando, thanks for the info on your processing!

Rich M

Well.....it arrived this afternoon. I threw a quick charge on the battery, grabbed an SD card and headed out the door. It was already getting late and a rain had just fallen.

A few pics on the way home......first one is the 18-135 and the others are the FA43 wide open.

And a newly painted bench:

I am pretty stoked.....Richard

Rich M

Jono....Amin....Ashwin......all of those images catch the eye.

Amin....handsome children......they're really growing.

Ashwin.....I love the local musician set.....especially the second pic (the tunnel)....and the last (profile).

R

Amin

Ashwin, love the series. The colors are beautiful, and the B&W look great as well.

Richard, thanks! Congrats on the K-5 arriving - you're off to a great start. The last two are especially nice!

scho

A few from this evening, photographing a local musician...K5, and primarily the 31 and 77 FA lenses
Ashwin,
Very nice series with the tunnel and tricky lighting.
Well.....it arrived this afternoon. I threw a quick charge on the battery, grabbed an SD card and headed out the door. It was already getting late and a rain had just fallen.

A few pics on the way home......first one is the 18-135 and the others are the FA43 wide open.

I am pretty stoked.....Richard
Congrats Rich and have fun with the new K5. If you still have your IR panny give it a try with your Pentax lenses. I've been using the limiteds with my G1 IR and they perform very well.

JMaher

Ashwin,
A very well done series.

Rich,
Good to see a new convert. Nice shots, I particularly liked the one of the bench.

Jim

jonoslack

Ashwin
The crow is lovely, but personally I like the next shot with the guy reading the egg carton and the lovers hand in hand. Your Musician must surely be a jazz musician?

Armando
Radical lens decisions - I agree with you about the 100 macro - fabulous lens, but when you have the quietest softest shutter noise in the history of photography, it goes against the grain to have a lens which sounds like a dentists drill!
I like Rudy's and the coffee.
I must say - I don't think you'll regret your decision to keep the camera.

David
Love the Adder and the Tempest - now all you need is a K5 for wandering those devon beaches (see PM as well)

Amin
Those kids have grown!!! I love the second shot with the sideways glance - excellent. And thanks for the kind words on the chicken shot.

Richard
Congratulations, I hope you'll be happy together - rain is the universal response of nature to a new camera - but at least you can take this one out in it! I love the skateboard truck shot - excellent.

all the best

Rich M

Ashwin,

Congrats Rich and have fun with the new K5. If you still have your IR panny give it a try with your Pentax lenses. I've been using the limiteds with my G1 IR and they perform very well.
Thanks Carl....I do still have the IR Panny. I did not know that about the FA's on the m4/3 mount. I'll give them a whirl.

Off topic.....I made a list of all the Canon gear that can be going on the block. Amazing how much that this camera will be replacing.

R

Rich M

Congratulations, I hope you'll be happy together - rain is the universal response of nature to a new camera - but at least you can take this one out in it! I love the skateboard truck shot - excellent.
Thanks Jono.....without exaggerating, it was this thread that you started that really pushed me towards the K-5. My discontent has steadily grown over time with my Canon system. It peaked when I added the 7D last year. I just could not abide by the latent sensor noise at just about any ISO.

So last night, the first thing I did was pixel peep :eek:......the skateboard truck shot was 3200ISO. I compared it to some 7D files at base ISO. There IS no comparison.

I am pretty stoked with the FA43. I'll be adding a few more primes as I sell off L glass. I've shot Canon since 1964. No regrets....this is a robust photocentric (I don't think this is a word :) ) system.

R

jonoslack

Old and in the way . . . . . .
or much loved and going nowhere - depends how you look at it.

all with the 18-135

these two at 6400 ISO

this one at 100 ISO

It's the kind of thing which looks fine . . . . . as long as you don't own the barn :cry:

JMaher

Armanius,

Did you get your 35 f2 yet?

I am thinking about buying a fast (normal) lens and two that seem to stand out are the 35 f/2 and the 31. Has anyone compared the two or maybe has both and can talk about relative strengths? If not any of the above how about just anyone who has used the 35 f/2?

Jim

Armanius

Jim-

The FA35/2 should arrive tomorrow from BH. I'll take some photos over the weekend and report back. Photozone loved it. So I figure that I'd give it a shot as I like the ~50mm EFL better than the ~65mm I was getting from the FA43. I'd love a FA31, but alas, kinda pricey.

Not sure how the heck BH is still carrying new FA35's. I thought they'd been discontinued for a while. Long lost batch perhaps?

Armando

Armanius

Armando
Radical lens decisions - I agree with you about the 100 macro - fabulous lens, but when you have the quietest softest shutter noise in the history of photography, it goes against the grain to have a lens which sounds like a dentists drill!
I like Rudy's and the coffee.
I must say - I don't think you'll regret your decision to keep the camera.
Yes, indeed a radical lens decision returning all three. Will be returning the Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 17-50 as well. I think. At least one or the other. Maybe both. I keep wavering. Tamron is as loud as the FA100. But at least it only goes through the entire range in less than a second. Unlike the FA100's 3 very painful seconds!! :)

But already regretting getting rid of the DA21 as it seemed like the perfect lens to do hyperfocal street shooting. The noob is me just learned today at Pentaxforums today what hyperfocal is. Downloaded the DOF Master app for my iPhone.

scho

Old and in the way . . . . . .
or much loved and going nowhere - depends how you look at it.

It's the kind of thing which looks fine . . . . . as long as you don't own the barn :cry:
Jono,

Lovely brassing on the M8 - looks like it has experienced some serious fondling :)

Nice backlighting in the window shot. I have a similar window in my basement, but fortunately the floor boards are still intact.