The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Rich. The lens is hard to focus on the K-5, but not so much of a problem in bright sunlight. Also: I'm one of the old school that did/does a lot of zone focusing using the depth of field scale...having an aperture ring on the Zeiss 25 is also a big plus if you want to over-ride the basic exposure.

Roy Benson

scho

A couple of students recently emerged from winter hibernation on a rare, warm spring day. K5+43 limited. B&W conversion from LR3 in SEP2.

Amin

Armando, that photo makes me want to lick the screen :eek:.

Roy, the Glory lillies are stunning.

Lee, I like your composition with the shoes.

Carl, the two students make a very interesting contrast in styles. Great spring capture.

I took the kids to the Harvard Museum of Natural History today and brought only the cheapie DAL35, which turns out to be very much to my liking.

We somehow ended up in the Peabody Museum. This was from one of the Pacific Island exhibits:

Another piece from the Peabody:

My younger son giving me the serious look outside:

Armanius

Wow, I really like how the hand comes out of the bokeh and looks like sketched in a way. If you post processed this a lot i would love to see a more "standard looking" original. Good composition too, maybe needs more contrast.

Thanks for posting that.

- Raist
You are welcome!

I did my standard PP, which is raise contrast and clarity, and push the light and shadow sliders in LR3.3 to the right, and then decrease the saturation.

I also cropped a good chunk of the photo. The original photo also has my girlfriend's face and the entire arm (pretty blurred out by the shallow DOF).

Armanius

Thanks Amin!

Your son looks upset. Tell him that there's a difference between serious and upset. :)

How are you liking that DA35/2.4?

My DA15 arrived today at work. Don't have my camera with me though. And don't have a Seattle's Best cup to take test photos on!

scho

Armando, that photo makes me want to lick the screen :eek:.

Roy, the Glory lillies are stunning.

Lee, I like your composition with the shoes.

Carl, the two students make a very interesting contrast in styles. Great spring capture.

I took the kids to the Harvard Museum of Natural History today and brought only the cheapie DAL35, which turns out to be very much to my liking.

My younger son giving me the serious look outside:

Amin,

I love that shot of your younger son. I remember the same look from my son at that age and see it now with my grandson occasionally.

Amin

How are you liking that DA35/2.4?
I have it on loan and like it a lot. If I were going to buy a normal lens for the K5, this is the one I'd buy. I don't feel the need for a normal lens for this body though, so I won't be buying it.

The other lens I have on loan is the DA21, and I bought that one. Performance was better than I expected, and it complements my DA70 nicely.

JMaher

Roy,

Nice shots but I believe I like the way the 200 2.8 you used a day or so ago renders better than these 35 lens photos.

Jim

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments, Jim. This is where the magic of "bokeh" comes in. With the 200, background material just melts away...with the 35, background material just keeps on coming. Paper thin depth of focus with the 200...several inches of depth of focus with the 35. Great range of tones in first pic...great edge to edge sharpness in the second pic. In all three pics, sharpness goes into the image a few inches, as well as out to the edges. Really appreciate the opportunity to talk camera/lens stuff.

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
That 135 is quite a lens, Ashwin...particularly like the runner and the tree images...are the greens unenhanced? If so, wow!

Roy Benson

Amin

Lovely dewdrops images, Roy. I liked all of these.

Ashwin, such a beautiful light. I loved the runner.

Richard, thanks! Yes, I used SEP for the conversions. It's a new app for me. So far I like it a lot!

ashwinrao1

Hi Roy, I agree. Thanks, Roy. The green was slightly enhanced through a LR filter, which increases its luminance and vibrance a bit.

The 135's not critically sharp wide open, but I love the look...dying to try it out for some portraiture, as I have seen some fantastic work with it....

Amin, thanks as well!