The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Armanius

Very first K5 shot... testing it out after getting it tonight. Of course, on the cat. FA 43mm f/1.9 lens @ ISO 1600...

Silver cat... silver cam...

I'm seriously impressed by both the camera and the lens!

:D
Cool photo! So you finally got the K5! Are you keeping the GH2? We have a lot of dual K5/GH2 owners in this forum.

Armanius

Here's one of the first pics with the DA15, F7.1, ISO1600, 1/6

Apparently, the DA15 is famous for the starburst effect.

Not sold on the DA15 yet. For a wide and slow lens, I was expecting more sharpness at the max aperture of F4.

Here's a photo with the FA35, F2, ISO1600, 1/60.

I really like this lens. Good sharpness and bokeh wide open at F2.

D

DRabbit

Nice shots Armanius... were you having some issues with focusing? They don't look as sharp as they should to me?

Cool photo! So you finally got the K5! Are you keeping the GH2? We have a lot of dual K5/GH2 owners in this forum.
I actually sold the GH2 a month or so ago. Just couldn't love it. For video it's hard to beat, but it just wasn't doing it for me for photography and I felt like I could put the money towards something I would like a whole lot more. For the money I paid for it, I didn't want to have it just sitting around playing second fiddle. I ended up buying a GH1 (mostly for video) because Panasonic was having such a great sale ($350)... but honestly, between the M8 and now the K5, I doubt the GH1 will ever get used to take a photo... LOL... though I won't feel bad about it sitting in my photo cabinet when it only cost $350.

ashwinrao1

Very first K5 shot... testing it out after getting it tonight. Of course, on the cat. FA 43mm f/1.9 lens @ ISO 1600...

Amy, huge congrats on the K5. I look forward to seeing what you do with it, if you bring it along with you to Seattle. The 43 FA has been on my list. I got the 40DA, which is nice, but the FA seems special, like the 31 and 77 mm lenses....Welcome!!!

ashwinrao1

Ashwin: The B&W house could hang in the MMA...that's really a fine image. It could go right up with Paul Strand's stuff...Ansel might grudgingly move over a bit as well.

Roy Benson
Roy, THANK YOU SO MUCH. That's huge praise to even bear a mention....just puttin' my time in....;)

D

DRabbit

Amy, huge congrats on the K5. I look forward to seeing what you do with it, if you bring it along with you to Seattle. The 43 FA has been on my list. I got the 40DA, which is nice, but the FA seems special, like the 31 and 77 mm lenses....Welcome!!!
Oh, I'm definitely bringing it to Seattle... don't you worry about that! ;)

I lucked out with the 43... I put up a feeler on PF about trading both my DA 40 and 70 for a good silver 43... and found a guy right in New York willing to do the trade in person. Turns out it's a low serial number copy too, which was a nice surprise. The 31 will be my next purchase soon!

Rich M

More texture......sharp @ f/3.5, nice bokeh.

Ok....I'll stop now.....I'm just kinda stoked about the new lens. :D

R

Sapphie

Ohh, I wish you lot would stop it! :)

Amy - great cat, great camera (drool!). Looks like the 43 AF was spot on? I have a 43mm barely used for years and years and I had to give it +10 adjustment on my K5. I am using it more than ever now.

Great shots from everyone else too!

Lee

P.S. At some point, once you have used it a while, I'd be interested in how you feel the IQ compares between the K5 and GH2 (there is a 'versus' thread here some somewhere)

Rich M

Rich

Lovely and smooth. What is a 'CV90 APO-Lanthar'?

Lee
Lee.....it's a (Cosina) Voigtlander 90/3.5 SLII. It is a chipped (allowing aperture to be set in camera), manual close focus lens.

Voigtlander developed four SLII lenses for Nikon, Canon and Pentax. The Pentax mount lenses have been discontinued, but are still available.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Mitch: Looks like you have found Cameraquest. ..did you get the extra close-up lens that goes with the 90? Did you have any trouble adjusting to the manual focusing?

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Prickly stuff in the garden...early morning light...100 WR macro/K-5..close-ups are of cactus...look like Star Wars spaceships.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

scho

Trying out a new lens....CV90 APO-Lanthar.

Hidden under the canopy

Texture
Rich,
Nice work with the CV90. Do you like focusing with the KatzEye?

Amy,

Congrats for your new silver K5! You seem to be getting along well with the new camera.

Here's one of the first pics with the DA15, F7.1, ISO1600, 1/6

Apparently, the DA15 is famous for the starburst effect.

Not sold on the DA15 yet. For a wide and slow lens, I was expecting more sharpness at the max aperture of F4.
Here's a photo with the FA35, F2, ISO1600, 1/60.

I really like this lens. Good sharpness and bokeh wide open at F2.
Armand,
My copy of the 15 does quite well at 5.6-8, but definitely not much use in low light at wider aperture. Nice portrait with the 35/2.

Prickly stuff in the garden...early morning light...100 WR macro/K-5..close-ups are of cactus...look like Star Wars spaceships.

Roy Benson
Roy,

Great cactus macros with the 100 WR. Still considering adding that lens, but need to sell some unused gear first.

markwon

wow...you guys have been really working those K5s! some very cool shots here! thought i post a couple of images inspired by E. Hopper:

and one more from Myrtle Beach