The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

JMaher

Things are looking up here.

Ashwin - really great landscapes.

Chris - love the dock shot.

Carl - great landscapes of a different kind from Ashwin

Jim (I need to shoot more and live in a more scenic place) :)

Rich M

Second outing with the DA*300mm. I purchased it used and after an initial try convinced my myself that it was a soft copy...or in need of micro-adjustment, etc.

I spent quite a bit of time with it today, found it needed no micro-adjust (it was spot on). It was a little soft wide open (f/4.0), so closed it one half to one stop and used (-) 0.3-0.7 EC.

I am MUCH happier now.....

Men in their flying machines...

R

Knorp

The DA*300 was one of the lenses we're still missing in this forum.
So good to see some samples and they're pretty good too, Rich.

Woody, and me too for that matter, noticed that focusing was quite slow (focus lag) with the DA*200.
So how's the DA*300 doing ?

Thanks and kind regards.

Knorp

@Chris: What a wonderful picture: serene and stunning !

@Ashwin: Overpowering scenery, hard to pick a favourite here, but I think the first in the series and the single post I like best, well done !

@Carl: Quite a danger place that gorge IMO

All the very best.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Out on the dawn patrol in weak light with the 77FA. There's been a trend toward landscapes lately so I thought I would add one of my own: trunk of a tree that resembles an aerial photo of a desert scene. Also 3 pics of palm trees giving birth to new branches...again, in weak light, with this amazing lens nearly wide open.

Roy Benson

BTW: "birth" pics are out of sequence...should be #2, #4, and then #3

Last edited:

Lloyd

Took the K5 with me to Utah's national parks...here are a few from Zion with the 77FA and 200 DA lenses....

I'm impressed with the quality of the K5. Really nice. ("Zion" looks suspiciously like Bryce Canyon in these shots. Is that the lens or the camera? :D)

OlliL

("Zion" looks suspiciously like Bryce Canyon in these shots. Is that the lens or the camera? :D)
:D

I thought the same, but then "Maybe I haven't seen it all!?" and then didn't comment.

Great shots from all of you lately.
I'm always impressed by the output of the K5.

woodyspedden

Rich

Images from the 300 look really good to me. Like Knorp, I am interested in what you may have discovered about focus lag. I simply can't use my 200 SDM for my Grandson's soccer because of it.

However for static subjects I am truly impressed with the IQ from the 200 SDM.

Best

Woody

Attached are two images at the soccer game yesterday. Both are of my daughter and her 11 week old son. These were taken with the K-5 and the 77 FA

I just added a black and white conversion which I really like. Hope you do too

Last edited:

Rich M

Images from the 300 look really good to me. Like Knorp, I am interested in what you may have discovered about focus lag. I simply can't use my 200 SDM for my Grandson's soccer because of it.
Woody....nice shots of your family.

I am going to have to go out and compare the 200 and 300 on moving objects. My instinct is that it is not so much the lenses as the lenses plus the continuous focus capability of the K-5. It's just not a sports shooters camera.

The reason I say this is when I was shooting jumpers with the K-5/300 combo, there probably was not a single crisp shot in the lot. I look back at shots with my 7D/400 prime (since sold) and they were spot on.

Life's tradeoffs ;)

......but I am curious now, I'll go check it out.

R

Knorp

Out on the dawn patrol in weak light with the 77FA. There's been a trend toward landscapes lately so I thought I would add one of my own: trunk of a tree that resembles an aerial photo of a desert scene. Also 3 pics of palm trees giving birth to new branches...again, in weak light, with this amazing lens nearly wide open.

Roy Benson

BTW: "birth" pics are out of sequence...should be #2, #4, and then #3
Hey Roy,
in my neck of the woods (Amsterdam), getting a 'clean' landscape shot requires a bit of traveling.
So I end up most of the time with close-ups.
Nothing wrong with that, I'd say.
Love your study of palm trees here :thumbup:

Kind regards.

Knorp

Woody....nice shots of your family.

I am going to have to go out and compare the 200 and 300 on moving objects. My instinct is that it is not so much the lenses as the lenses plus the continuous focus capability of the K-5. It's just not a sports shooters camera.

The reason I say this is when I was shooting jumpers with the K-5/300 combo, there probably was not a single crisp shot in the lot. I look back at shots with my 7D/400 prime (since sold) and they were spot on.

Life's tradeoffs ;)

......but I am curious now, I'll go check it out.

R
Good man, Rich !
I'm looking forward to your report.

All the very best.

Knorp

Attached are two images at the soccer game yesterday. Both are of my daughter and her 11 week old son. These were taken with the K-5 and the 77 FA
Woody, lovely shots of your daughter and grandson.
It's time now to take out my FA77, now that I explored the 16-50 and 200.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Both with the DA*200, I loke how it renders the background, mind you there's a brick wall out there !

Thanks for viewing.

benroy

Subscriber Member
"Microscapes": We've seen landscapes on a grand scale recently (Ashwin, Carl, Ario)...The 31 FA focuses down to about 10" and produces images from the knots in the backyard fence that will remind you of organisms viewed through the microscope ("microscapes"): amoeba, paramecia, etc. You'll need a little imagination here.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Roy

Neat stuff. I find the FA limiteds to all be extremely good, producing high quality images. Just those three lenses plus the K-5 would make for a great kit all by itself. JMHO

woody

jonoslack

Both with the DA*200, I loke how it renders the background, mind you there's a brick wall out there !

Thanks for viewing.
HI Bart
Lovely botanicals:p:)

Actually, those aliums make wonderful subjects, and you've done them proud . .although you might do some checking if you were focusing on the brick wall . . . definitely a -10 adjustment there!

Roy - love the wood pictures - I love taking shots of old wood, usually best with slanting evening light to make them ping.

Woody - you have a lovely daughter and baby

all the best

p.s. when I've stopped fooling about with my new Donald Rumsfeld camera I'll be back with the Pentax again.

scho

Rich

Woody,
Lovely shots of your daughter and her son.

Thanks for viewing.
Bart,
Agree, beautiful smooth background rendition with the 200.

"Microscapes": We've seen landscapes on a grand scale recently (Ashwin, Carl, Ario)...The 31 FA focuses down to about 10" and produces images from the knots in the backyard fence that will remind you of organisms viewed through the microscope ("microscapes"): amoeba, paramecia, etc. You'll need a little imagination here.

Roy Benson
Roy,

Love the texture in those weathered wood shots. Nicely captured.