The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

biglouis

I have to say that each time I look through this thread I am even more impressed by the results of this camera. There is a look to the pictures which I just don't see in the N, C or S threads - or maybe I am fooling myself.

The more I see the results, the more I am tempted to replace my aging M8 kit, even though the primes I use are excellent.

LouisB

Sapphie

Louis

There is definitely a 'look'. I am selling my GH2 because I prefer the K5 look. I finally had some prints done. Not a fair comparison as they were taken on different days, different lighting etc but those from the K5 were deeper, richer, like old Cibachrome prints from film. The GH2 images often look sharper on-screen but when printed I preferred the K5. Anyway, take that with a pinch of salt as it's just my opinion and a very unscientific one at that.

Don't know about whether it beats an M8 though!

Lee

Knorp

Excellent shots everyone !

A few from the harbour (IJmuiden) and the FA77.

Thanks for viewing.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Nice warm light does wonders for the old rust bucket in the middle pic...fine images, Bart.

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Early morning walk with dog and 100 macro: dog really cooperated so there is some good stuff here:

All of this within 15 minutes...walking the dog around the block. Pic 1: air plant...Pic 2 frayed edge of putting green...Pic 5: chopped edges of palm fronds...Pic 6: thorns on palm fronds.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

ecsh

The sun finally made an appearance today, so i got a chance to try my new 300 F4. Quality build, no doubt. What is also certain is that this is not a fast sports lens. If you are close to focus, then the lens immediately focus's on the intended target, if not, it goes through its focus range. For subjects which are static to a certain degree, its very nice. I also like how it blurs out the background, even when shooting at F8. Of course this is effected by the distance behind the subject, but it does do a nice job. The last shot of the street sign, the sign is around 200 feet away. Outside of resizing, or a crop or two, thats all that was done, JPEGs out of the camera. Here are a few very non-artistic shots.

jonoslack

Lots of lovely shots
Rich - I especially like your boy in the boat.
Bart - the harbour shots are excellent

I pressed the RAW button once too many times and ended up shooting jpg?!

anyway, these worked out okay I think:

all shot with the humble 18-135

benroy

Subscriber Member
Carl: the 300/4 sure looks sharp...does wonders with the backgrounds...hand-held or on a tripod?

Jono: lovely set of "bucolics"...only thing missing is the kid with his dog and a bamboo fishing pole strolling down the lane (the kid that is).

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Paratom

Ashwin,
those shots you took tiwth the 200 are really great I like them a lot!

That filmlike look...colors and tones...are why I really "hanging" on the K5.

Knorp

WOW - everybody seems to have been quite busy today :thumbs:
Lovely shots all round.

Here are my today's attempt to capture some dragonflies.
Crickey, no idea that it would turn out so difficult hand holding this DA*200.
Anyway though the outcome is not perfect, I am still pleased.

NB These are crops, but only made square by chopping off some of the left and right sides of the original images.
Thanks for viewing.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Bart: that's quite a feat...shooting dragonflies with a hand-held 200...remarkable!

Rich: excellent detail in the new leaf...looks like a giant philodendron leaf.

Nice to see some wit emerging in this thread...good one, Woody.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

raist3d

@Knorp

Wow. That DA * 200, and of course, you! Without you, no photograph, no matter how good the DA * 200 is!

- Raist