The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

MalcolmP

Roy,that 300mm looks like wonderfull lens,smashing shots.
Bart,be carefull not to cut yourself on that 200mm lens!:)so sharp and such a lovely way of rendering the detail,I can see why you like it!That goose!The eye!:salute:
Jim,Faded Roses,,,,,Stunning!
Jono,if it was'nt for you and everyone else showing me what a great lens the 35 macro is ,then your 100mm roses shot(which is great:thumbs:) amongst many others, would be tempting me,noisy focus or not!But I'll get the 35mm first methinks(more bang for the buck) and then???:ROTFL:
Regards
Malcolm

MalcolmP

A weekend spent at the out(in)laws:).
A couple of shots from their garden,a colorfull windmill and a rather sorry palm thats reaching up to the sky:loco: and au revoir to the woodpeckers(forgive the repitition)but its been fun watching them over the past month or so.They've had their ups and downs(falling chick not quite ready)but in the end a succesfull fledging:thumbs:
Regards
Malc.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Faded Roses

Saved these from the wife's birthday in April... let them die and dry then shot in a cluster.
Indirect light from a nearby window shot on the kitchen table.
Well up there among my handful of all-time favourites this one, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Paratom

But then you'd be missing out on the real reason for having a K5 ... the 43mm ltd.

Lee
Hi Lee,
I was very close to buy one - because of the faster speed of the 43.
I am not using the Macro function of the 35 much, so if I find a good buy for a 43 and if it works as well for me as the 35 it might replace it one day.
But from the lenses I own (15/21/35/70/50-200) the 35 is the best IMO.

Knorp

Re: Something a little different...

Taken with the K5 and DA 35 macro

Saved these from the wife's birthday in April... let them die and dry then shot in a cluster.
Indirect light from a nearby window shot on the kitchen table.
Jim, well done and really beautifully executed.

Kind regards.

Knorp

A weekend spent at the out(in)laws:).
A couple of shots from their garden,a colorfull windmill and a rather sorry palm thats reaching up to the sky:loco: and au revoir to the woodpeckers(forgive the repitition)but its been fun watching them over the past month or so.They've had their ups and downs(falling chick not quite ready)but in the end a succesfull fledging:thumbs:
Regards
Malc.
Hi there Malcolm.

Love that woodpecker shot, but please stop killing me with that BIGMA :poke:
Still not decided what to do :(

All the very best.

jonoslack

Jim - the roses are after my heart - wonderful.
Malc - love the swirly first shot, and of course the woodpecker. Unlike Bart I'm not tempted by the Bigma, but can admire it from afar!

Right - off to bed:sleep006::sleep006:

Jono, Woody, Bart, Michael, Roy... and others..

Thanks for the kind words about the Faded Roses... I have been saving those damn roses for almost two months now waiting for the opportunity to shoot them. Since it was 101 degrees outside yesterday I decided the day had finally come.. I wasn't going out and I wanted to do some photography... I placed a piece of black foamcore board on the table.. placed the roses in a black bowl and set the K5 to spot meter on the rose highlights.. took about five shots and hoped for the best.

Glad you guys like the work... two of the women at work want prints.. I was surprised.. I thought the women would not like the shot because the roses are "Daid" as they say here in Texas... but they loved them.

20 years ago the 100 degree heat in Dallas would not bother me but now it does and I find it hard to enjoy being out in the hell that passes for Summer here. I've got to get back to the Pacific coast where the sea breeze is cool and I can forget these tempertures...... sorry for the rant... the heat does that to me.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Some examples from the garden with the 200...just to underline what Bart has been demonstrating with his 200...very sharp!

Want to see really sharp? Look at the little hairs on the anthers of the red hibiscus (first pic).

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Armanius

All photos with my new DA*55. Mixed feelings about it and having AF issues ... Last photo is the only live view photo and AF was much better. Awesome bokeh for sure though!

F2.8 Marley by Armanius, on Flickr

F1.8 - 2 by Armanius, on Flickr

F5 ISO12800 by Armanius, on Flickr

F2 by Armanius, on Flickr

F1.4 - 3 by Armanius, on Flickr

F2.8 - 2 by Armanius, on Flickr

F1.4 - 2 by Armanius, on Flickr

F1.8 by Armanius, on Flickr

F2.8 by Armanius, on Flickr

F1.4 by Armanius, on Flickr

Live view at F1.4 by Armanius, on Flickr

Knorp

Jono, Woody, Bart, Michael, Roy... and others..

Thanks for the kind words about the Faded Roses... I have been saving those damn roses for almost two months now waiting for the opportunity to shoot them. Since it was 101 degrees outside yesterday I decided the day had finally come.. I wasn't going out and I wanted to do some photography... I placed a piece of black foamcore board on the table.. placed the roses in a black bowl and set the K5 to spot meter on the rose highlights.. took about five shots and hoped for the best.

Glad you guys like the work... two of the women at work want prints.. I was surprised.. I thought the women would not like the shot because the roses are "Daid" as they say here in Texas... but they loved them.

20 years ago the 100 degree heat in Dallas would not bother me but now it does and I find it hard to enjoy being out in the hell that passes for Summer here. I've got to get back to the Pacific coast where the sea breeze is cool and I can forget these tempertures...... sorry for the rant... the heat does that to me.
Hi Jim, I'm sorry about your suffering under these temperatures, I really do hope you make it one day to settle permanently somewhere along the coast.

Keep hope alive !

Knorp

Some examples from the garden with the 200...just to underline what Bart has been demonstrating with his 200...very sharp!

Want to see really sharp? Look at the little hairs on the anthers of the red hibiscus (first pic).

Roy Benson
Hi there Roy,
Am I correct that this 200 is your latest acquisition ?
Undoubtedly you'll love it and I'm curious how you rate it against your 300.
Fine series with some very clear details [#3], which shows IMO the fine characteristics of the 200.

Happy shooting !

Knorp

All photos with my new DA*55. Mixed feelings about it and having AF issues ... Last photo is the only live view photo and AF was much better. Awesome bokeh for sure though!
Armando, may I suggest that you use the lens for awhile only at f/5.6 and f/8.0 ?
I noticed a few shots that IMO just won't work with a large aperture, you really have to close it especially at short range.
However do notice the portraits where the subject is posing, those shots show, again IMO, excellent detail but of course also here the short distance and hence the very narrow DOF,
makes one looking for the point of focus and therefore could make the picture less attractive in a technical sense.

Perhaps this might explain why you're doubting your lens.
Give it a try and see how you fare.

All the very best.

JMaher

Bart - thanks - there is a little fill flash in there.

t_streng - nice pink shots with the 35 - she has a great look

Jim - love the Faded Roses

Armanius - nice shots but I agree it's hard to achieve focus at those f stops

Jim