The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jono: there is a timelessness involved in your very pleasing pics of today's men and yesteryear's machines. Well done. (you didn't get caught in a time warp, did you? You are living in Queen Victoria's reign?)

Roy Benson

Knorp

What a marvelous series, Jono. :salute:
And aren't the colours in the close-ups wonderful ?
I can't deny the 18-135 is the "Swiss Army knife" equivalent of lenses.

:OT: Try doing this with an IQ180 or S2 or M9 !

Kind regards.

Sapphie

Jono

You continue to get a great variety of great shots with that lens. My 'keeper rate' has certainly improved since I started using higher shutter speeds, e.g. 1/500th, if I can, with SR OFF. I see many of yours are at 1/320th, I assume you are in auto-iso mode 'fast' still?

I am in a quandary regarding a trip to Cornwall next week. Well, assuming it doesn't rain all week, whether to concentrate on using my K5 (with 18-135 and 43 ltd) or to go solo with my X100. Hmn, I don't think I'll be able to do that, it has to be both cameras!

Lee

Paratom

Jono

You continue to get a great variety of great shots with that lens. My 'keeper rate' has certainly improved since I started using higher shutter speeds, e.g. 1/500th, if I can, with SR OFF. I see many of yours are at 1/320th, I assume you are in auto-iso mode 'fast' still?

I am in a quandary regarding a trip to Cornwall next week. Well, assuming it doesn't rain all week, whether to concentrate on using my K5 (with 18-135 and 43 ltd) or to go solo with my X100. Hmn, I don't think I'll be able to do that, it has to be both cameras!

Lee
Has there been any conclusion that SR can lead to somewhat softer images?
Thanks, Tom

m3photo

Soon

I'll post my K5 pictures next year, when I buy one, promise ...
Two little pancakes ready for their new sensor - it'll be in my mitts tomorrow. (Quite frankly the one thing I'm hoping not to hear any more is the K20-like Ka-chung every time I press the shutter.) :D

Rich M

Has there been any conclusion that SR can lead to somewhat softer images?
Thanks, Tom
Tom....I am as curious as you are on that topic. I wish I had a spare day to go out and test it.

Have you decided to hang on to the K-5 for a bit?

Hope you do.......R

Sapphie

Kudos to all for the fine pics: horses, birds, bees, bears, landscapes, moody beauty, butterflies, green frogs...a digital menagerie...and (almost overlooked) the scarlet impatiens.Have you taken a moment to look at the stuff in the other forums? You'll really appreciate how good the Pentax K-5 images are after a quick gander.

Roy Benson
Hi Roy

Interesting point and why is it exactly? I mean apart from the skills of the photographers here of course. It could just be that the K5 excites us in a way that encourages us to post ... but it's more than that. I have thought it from the start: regardless of the absolute qualities of the different lenses in terms of sharpness etc the K5 images have a richness and tonality to them that seems to me hard to find elsewhere.

Lee

scho

. . . . Then, a few minutes later, with the same lens, you can take these:
Of course, we all know that the right answer is an IQ 180 and a tripod with fantastic lenses . . . . but I'm loving the fact that a K5 with a 5 times zoom is getting interesting shots time after time without getting in the way
Jono,

Great series with the 18-135. We have been stuck under a stagnant low for several days. I also took my 18-135 out for a rainy day walk but photo ops were limited. Here are two that caught my eye along the waterfront.

A patient great blue heron ISO 3200

Left behind and hopefully not needed.

jonoslack

@Jim
I must play with the flash . . . it seems to stay down!
@Roy - 'fraid I'm no Victorian . . . although Emma's grandfather was, astonishingly, born in 1848!!!
@Joe - as for being in the rain with the IQ180 - I might not, but Guy seems to thing that weathersealing is a gimmick.
@Rich - thank you - it was a fun afternoon, which we certainly wouldn't have gone to if it wasn't for some good fun Dutch friends.
@Bart - thanks - they were fun to do - and perhaps they would have been better with an S2 and the yet to be released zoom . . .
@Lee - I do have the auto-iso mode on 'fast', but it's more because I haven't got around to changing it back - I'm really not getting a problem with sharp shots.
@Tom - I thought the word on the street was that turning of SR really didn't help - certainly, I have it turned on by default, and I've long since stopped fiddling.
@Lee - it's just that we're all spectacularly good photographers :ROTFL:
@Carl-thank you - no Great blue herons around here - but it seems we have similar weather :(

I'll be going out tomorrow morning, but whether the weather makes it worth taking shots is a different matter!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jono: deny all you want...you're in a time warp! It's wonderful! You've given us the feeling that we (the viewers) are in the midst of it all...thanks for that gift. Too bad there's no sound for the chug,chug, chug of the steam engines. I'd love to see the shape of the fat controller's head under that too small for size derby...he looks like one of the mob in Alec Guiness' "Lavender Hill Mob".

I really love these pics...more if you got them, please.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Carl: what really makes my toes tingle in the great blue heron pic is the ISO 3200...that's really something! Would never have guessed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Roy Benson

m3photo

Re: That Pentax something

... but it's more than that. I have thought it from the start: regardless of the absolute qualities of the different lenses in terms of sharpness etc the K5 images have a richness and tonality to them that seems to me hard to find elsewhere.
I found this right from the K10D. Back then I was looking to substitute a Canon DSLR and began to like what was being posted on the web taken with Pentax cameras, made me opt for Pentax instead - never looked back. I do have a D700 for full-frame work with my old manual focus Nikkors and a G1 as the grab-and-go but for the rest it's the Pentax colours I go for. All I was waiting for was a body that didn't made that awful Ka-Chung sound when shooting with it and it seems the K-5 has done away with this, I'll know this afternoon for sure ...:)

Paratom

Tom....I am as curious as you are on that topic. I wish I had a spare day to go out and test it.

Have you decided to hang on to the K-5 for a bit?

Hope you do.......R
Its still here. I gues I wont loose any more money if I sell it 4 weeks earlier or later.
So I want to check out some thing. I will start another thread on this.