The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

tsjanik

So, I’ve succumbed to this thread and purchased a K5. It arrived yesterday. A wonderful little camera and hand holding is a breeze. A few shots with an old Super Takumar f/1.4, all at f/1.4 or f/2 (early eight element design).

Thanks all and to think I considered getting a Nikon :D

raist3d

You should be thoroughly pleased. Quite frankly, we all just blame Jono for this, LOL. Do you have len's already, or did you order with the kit lens?
Joe
I totally agree on partially (at least) blaming Jono and I think it's about time he's brought up into the light of justice. Expedited judgement, slow sentence, is all I have to say….

- Raist

jonoslack

I totally agree on partially (at least) blaming Jono and I think it's about time he's brought up into the light of justice. Expedited judgement, slow sentence, is all I have to say….

- Raist
Hi Ricardo - first you have to find me . . . and when you do you'll be mauled to death by a vicious furball :eek:

In this case (unlike the X100) at least I do have the courage of my convictions. I think it's a lovely camera, and mine gets used every day; it really feels more and more like the inheritor of the elusive E1 mantle.

It seems that Sony is bringing out an A77 with a 24mp APSc sensor it'll be interesting if Pentax brings out a camera with the same sensor (K3?)

raist3d

Hi Ricardo - first you have to find me . . . and when you do you'll be mauled to death by a vicious furball :eek:

In this case (unlike the X100) at least I do have the courage of my convictions. I think it's a lovely camera, and mine gets used every day; it really feels more and more like the inheritor of the elusive E1 mantle.
Hehe :)

It seems that Sony is bringing out an A77 with a 24mp APSc sensor it'll be interesting if Pentax brings out a camera with the same sensor (K3?)
Probably more like K- whatever number it is Canon is going to use for their next 7D type model or 5D type model :)

- Raist

tsjanik

Great color, fine pics...you won't regret your purchase of the K-5.

Roy Benson
Thanks Roy. Your statement is already true. Love the camera and today I rediscovered the bokeh of the Super Takumar f/1.4. Three shots of the same flower, out-of-camera jpegs, no PS!

Karlo

My firsts from the K-5, I'm so happy with it. Just need to get my hands on some legacy glass and be done for a while :D .

DavidL

Dartmoor was Darkmoor yesterday so boosted the files up a bit
21mm Limited again:deadhorse:
David

Last edited:

jonoslack

My firsts from the K-5, I'm so happy with it. Just need to get my hands on some legacy glass and be done for a while :D .
Pouff Karlo
These are wonderful - especially the second one - just the kind of thing the K5 is really good for. excellent.

David - stop tempting me with that 21 limited - it'll be too much for my willpower!

These ones are from wet walks yesterday:

Boringly they were all taken with the 18-135!

Knorp

@David: Wow, that one with the white horse: it really lives up to the mystique of the moor !

@Jono: I had some great opportunities last Saturday, but unfortunately no camera ... :(
I like the second, beautiful reflections. And your country show shots brought back great memories from when I visited the Devon country show.

@Karlo: Happy shooting with your K5 !

@Roy: Lively colours from that 400 (I'm still not decided on what tele lens)

@Michael: Welcome aboard.

@Rich: What a killer shot of that bi-plane, wonderful !

@Carl: That life jacket really jumps out of my screen.

Apologies to anyone who I may have forgotten to mention here: great shots all :salute:

All the very best.

Today my wife an I have been married for 29 years. Time really does fly.
Rather than buy a dozen roses I bought a simple arrangement of two. Not that I am cheap, I just thought it more appropriate since there is just the two of us these days.

I set the roses up on black and white foam board for the two shots below.. both were illuminated by light from the kitchen window. Post processed in Photoshop CS5.
I used the Pentax K5 and the 43 Ltd for these shots.

The first was a bit of a high-key shot while the second was just to see what it would look like with a dark background.

woodyspedden

Jim

You are one talented dude!

Congrats on your anniversary. Phyllis and I celebrated our 41st this past September. The longer we have been together, the better it has gotten

Woody

Knorp

Today my wife an I have been married for 29 years. Time really does fly.
Rather than buy a dozen roses I bought a simple arrangement of two. Not that I am cheap, I just thought it more appropriate since there is just the two of us these days.

I set the roses up on black and white foam board for the two shots below.. both were illuminated by light from the kitchen window. Post processed in Photoshop CS5.
I used the Pentax K5 and the 43 Ltd for these shots.

The first was a bit of a high-key shot while the second was just to see what it would look like with a dark background.
First of all: congratulations with your anniversary, Jim.

As for these fine compositions (beautiful light) I think the one with the dark background is more intense with deeper and richer colours.
But both black and white backgrounds have their own merits.
Difficult to pick a favourite, they do equally well IMO.

That 43 is becoming more and more interesting ...

All the very best.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Congratulations, Jim on your 29th anniversary and also for the fine images of the roses. We will be celebrating our 56th this week (6/25).

Roy Benson

JMaher

Jim - nice shots (I like the white background) and congratulations on 29 years.

Roy - 56 YEARS! - congratulations.

Jim