The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

tsjanik

Great images all. I'm still learning to use the K-5. Another with the 50mm super takumar @f/1.4. This lens has a yellow cast from the radioactive thorium used in the formulation and interestingly, the auto WB takes care of it (at least the yellow part, not the radioactive part).

Tom

Last edited:

m3photo

Range

Tired of blown out skies?
Still dreaming you could bring back details where you only see white?
Sick of that neighbour telling you about how good his D700 is?

You need K-5!

Yes, K-5 is the answer to your problems:
More dynamic range you could ever need.
Our no-worry shoot and recover camera is right for you!

Before:

K-5+70mm f/2.4 Limited 1/250@f/8 ISO 200

After*:

* Still K-5+70mm f/2.4 Limited 1/250@f/8 ISO 200 but add a gradient mask and lower the Levels to 0,10. Yes, a tenth of the exposure value and Hey Presto, you're seeing the sky as it really was!

Remember, K-5 is the medicine for you! :D

jonoslack

Great images all. I'm still learning to use the K-5. Another with the 50mm super takumar @f/1.4. This lens has a yellow cast from the radioactive thorium used in the formulation and interestingly, the auto WB takes care of it (at least the yellow part, not the radioactive part).

Tom
Hi Tom
Don't know nothing about thorium . . . but that's a great photo.
Really fine

all the best

scho

A few late evening snaps with the 55-300 and K5.

Wet Robin

Watching the wet robin

This one prefers chipmunks

benroy

Subscriber Member
Carl: "when the red, red robin goes bob-bob-bobbin along" in the water...really caught the action...nice light, color with the two cats.

Roy Benson

tsjanik

Thanks Jim and Jono.

Attached is another using the same lens. I really like the rendering of this lens.
I'm finding the K-5 to be very hand holdable, which is very liberating for somone accustomed to using the Pentax 67 film camera. Having a 40-year-old lens which is stabilized at any ISO is really something. Birch leaves in three stages of emergence

scho

Carl: "when the red, red robin goes bob-bob-bobbin along" in the water...really caught the action...nice light, color with the two cats.

Roy Benson
Thanks Roy. It is so easy to shoot in low light with the K5 and not worry about high ISO.
Har, har!
Talking of outstanding; Very dark kitchen+handsome cat = K-5 at 6400ISO:
K5+70mm Limited f/2.4 - 1/60@F/3.5 ISO6400
Michael,
Very nice example of ISO 6400 performance with the elegant looking cat. My blond tabby shot above was also ISO 6400. K5 is an amazing low light machine.

Rich M

So as not to be seen as a slacker.

One from last night . A friends 19 year old daughter.
Jim....nice capture of youthful exuberance....

Tired of blown out skies?
Still dreaming you could bring back details where you only see white?
Sick of that neighbour telling you about how good his D700 is?

You need K-5!

Yes, K-5 is the answer to your problems:
More dynamic range you could ever need.
Our no-worry shoot and recover camera is right for you!
Michael.....about time you started posting....I mean you've had the camera for what....about a week already. ;)

Oh....and my interpretation of the look on your Siamese's face is the same one many cats give to their underlings....kind of a "s**t for brains" look that says I barely tolerate your existence.

A few late evening snaps with the 55-300 and K5.

Wet Robin
Great shot Carl.....with another "underrated" lens.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Reviving the 16-50 keeper-non keeper debate (debacle?)...picked up a Sigma 15-30/3.5-4.5 DG Pentax mount lens...a bit longer than the 16-50...about the same weight...balances OK on the K-5...over the fence and into the garden we went...here are some examples (with the usual apologies for lack of mountains or street scenes):

Roy Benson

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Second set: Sigma 15-30. First set dealt with close-up stuff in the 30mm range...this set deals with the 15mm end of the range...I have straightened lines...I see no indication of vignetting...had trouble focusing at infinity with AF...MF worked better...don't put your Leica and Zeiss wides in the drawer yet.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

tsjanik

Roy:

I like the mailbox; I've thought of starting a photo project of interesting mailboxes (none of the ugly Rubbermaid ones permitted!). I like the rusty metal shot as well, I would like to see it in flat light without shadows.

Tom

scho

Roy:

I like the mailbox; I've thought of starting a photo project of interesting mailboxes (none of the ugly Rubbermaid ones permitted!). I like the rusty metal shot as well, I would like to see it in flat light without shadows.

Tom
+1 Love the rusty metal and mailbox shots.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jim, Tom, and Carl: thanks for the kind words...interesting lens...could be very interesting on full frame, and it is available on FF for Canon and Nikon...on eBay for around $265 - $275 (Canon, Nikon)....makes for budget alternative to 16-50.

Roy Benson