The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

benroy

Subscriber Member
Mitch: that image could have been taken in the Georgia mountains (except the soil would be redder)...only thing missing is the outhouse out back...pic holds its own with any of Jono's "bucolics". 31FA is a fine lens, isn't it.

Roy Benson

gmack

Nice Rich....

I'm still on the fence on the K-5. The autofocus capability is the primary issue. I currently shoot a Nikon D300 and D7000. The D300 is fine in bright light but that's about it. The D7000 has the dynamic range but the metering is a little unpredictable and the color cast requires too much PP fiddling. I turned 51 recently and with that achievement I've swallowed a large dose of reality as I contemplate my inevitable mortality. That's a long way around the barn to say I really don't want to spend so much time in PP.

I'm headed to Florida for a month this summer and would like a setup specifically to shoot kids surfing, landscapes, sunrises...your basic beach stuff. I need the dynamic range of the K-5 in order to get the best sunrise/sunset shots but I'm unsure how it would perform for ocean action shots. I'm considering the 60-250 and the 50-135 and then a prime for the landscapes (basically because the QC of the 16-50 seems unpredictable).

My other choice is to with a Canon (7D) because of their highly regarded 70-200 f/4 IS.

Any advice or recommendations? Thanks!

JMaher

I am not Rich but ...

I am not an action shooter so what I say may not be meaningful to you. With that said, I have borrowed a 7D and don't think the image quality or DR is on par with the K5. The image quality of the K5 is much more in in line with my 5D2.

I do understand that the autofocus on the 7D is probably the best of the 3.

The Canon 70-200 f4 IS is truly a fantastic lens. With that said I pick up the K5 and the lowly 18-135 much more often then the 5D2 and the 70-200 and I am never unhappy with the results.

Jim

benroy

Subscriber Member
gmack: My mortality is a little more inevitable than yours...I'll be hitting 80 next February.
I have a D700 and have had no problems with it. I have a K-5 and have had no problems with it...some of my K-5 colleagues have issues with AF...I have had none (knock on wood). I would highly recommend the 50-135, 200/2.8, and a hard to find 300/4.5...you'll have to talk to Jono about the 60-250. The 16-50 can be "unpredictable" from the QC point of view, but it is sure fun to use, if you are not too fussy about corners and edges.
Enjoy your Florida visit...from a long-time Florida resident (Boca Raton)...by the way, if you are spending a lot of time on the beach, bring plastic bags to cover the lenses...salt spray can do a number on them.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

gmack

Jim.... thanks for your view and opinion and you are right on point. The 7D has the autofocus and the lens, but does not even compete in regard to DR. Coastal shots where you need both the shadows of the clouds and the brightness of the sun require DR.

Roy.... congratulations. I have a new found reverence and respect for anyone who has earned their honorary Ph.D. in Geriatrics! We will be spending the month at the Hammock Beach resort in Palm Coast. I have two young daughters and they will be the primary subject as they enjoy the Florida surf. The plastic bag advice is appreciated. Plastic bags are on the shopping list.

Now... as a NJ resident....time to muster up the courage and move someplace where I can educate my kids, buy a home worth the money, and make a little art along the way.

Thanks!!

benroy

Subscriber Member
For Tom: rusty screw in kid's cart...overcast skies...50-135 lens in use at the time...DOF limited by overcast.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

scho

For Tom: rusty screw in kid's cart...overcast skies...50-135 lens in use at the time...DOF limited by overcast.

Roy Benson
Roy,
Great color and detail. Rust, peeling paint, and weathered wood are some of my favorite things to photograph.

tsjanik

Roy Benson
Thanks Roy. I like this version better. Another project I've never done, along with the mailboxes, is to take 9 images similar to yours and put them side-by-side in rows of three, and then stack three rows into one image, i.e., a 3x3 array, sort of a triple triptych or a triptych of triptychs. :D

Rich M

31FA is a fine lens, isn't it.
Roy Benson
Rich, I agree with Roy - very nice.
Jim
Beautiful landscape Rich. The 31 seems to be a fine lens.
Thanks guys.....the 31 is a beautiful lens, wonderful balance on the camera and smooth focus. It's a little odd focal length (31 X 1.5= 47) but as a "normal" it still works ok. It seems all my lenses need micro adjustment, this was the only one that was a minus adjustment (-3). It is a contrasty lens with nicely saturated images. I haven't shot it as much as I thought I would, but when I do I am very pleased with the results.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Speaking of the 31FA, it is not only outstanding for landscapes, but does very well close-up as well...focuses down to less than 12". We've begun the "monsoon" season, so between showers, I ducked out the back door and worked on rain drops on the leaves of the Scheffelera tree...subdued light, ISO 400, wide open to f/5.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

VladimirYo

Hi All
I'm newcamer here couse K5 my new camera after k200d.
Well k5 works well in Barselona sea aquarium. No flash. Just hi ISO of K5 and some post production.

tsjanik

Carl, very nice, wide open? The 55-300mm is really a very good lens.
I can only assume that you do not have a garden or a very effective electric fence around same.
Tom

Rich M

I've posted a few photos over the last several weeks using the Sigma APO 100-300/4 lens. I've been pretty pleased with the results, but still felt that I wished it could be a little longer.

Here's a shot (nothing real special) from yesterday (uncropped):

260mm......1/400 @f/5.6......ISO400

What's different about this photo is that I used the Sigma 1.4x DG EX teleconverter with it. That means the effective focal length is 1.5 x 260 x 1.4 = 550mm.

Here's a 1:1 crop:

I feel this combination will cover a fairly wide focal length (155-630mm) in a kit that is still lighter and much more compact than an equivalent dSLR combo.

The lens combo focuses very quickly and accurately.

R