The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

tsjanik

I am attempting to take one photo/day for one year to use for a series. The project forces me to pick up a camera, even if it's 8 at night. I started on December 11, 2011; interestingly, the camera and lens I have most often been using is the K-5 and a 50mm M f/1.4 Takumar. Wonderful to be able to hand hold at high ISO and get a useful image.Here's one from the series:

Tom

12-14_IGP5955_8007 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

benroy

Subscriber Member
New Year's morning (8 AM) K5 with 100 macro.

Roy Benson...Happy New Year to all!

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Pentax K5 w/300FA* Subdued light where bird perched in tree...lens wide open.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

MalcolmP

You too Roy and that 3oomm sure looks good!Is that a snake in its talons?
Sunrise(one of the best for ages)from my kitchen window looking towards the Malvern Hills on Christmas eve.
5 shot stitch minimal p/p.
Regards
Malcolm

Knorp

I am attempting to take one photo/day for one year to use for a series. The project forces me to pick up a camera, even if it's 8 at night. I started on December 11, 2011; interestingly, the camera and lens I have most often been using is the K-5 and a 50mm M f/1.4 Takumar. Wonderful to be able to hand hold at high ISO and get a useful image.Here's one from the series:

Tom
Hi there Tom,

really, I admire your PAD effort and you're off to a good start.
Keep us updated regarding your progress.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Pentax K5 w/300FA* Subdued light where bird perched in tree...lens wide open.

Roy Benson
What a corker, what a magnificent bird ! And what an excellent shot, Roy. Well done :thumbs:
And like Malcolm, I'm wondering too what that bird is holding. Is it a snake ? Or a lizard ?

Now, don't tell me you shot this in your backyard ... :eek:

Keep 'm coming, Roy !
Kind regards.

Knorp

Sunrise(one of the best for ages)from my kitchen window looking towards the Malvern Hills on Christmas eve.
5 shot stitch minimal p/p.
Regards
Malcolm
Malcolm, what a smashing view from your kitchen window, only too bad maximum size here is 1200 pixels.
That doesn't do justice to panos IMO.

What lens ?

All the very best.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks to Bart and Malcolm. Bird has a snake in its talons...shot in my next door neighbor's front yard.

Malcolm's panorama is wonderful...more, please!

Bart: your horse and buggy duo in the Leica thread was excellent...was this part of a wedding? Thanks for your kind words re: the garden pics.

Tom: picture a day project is a great idea, and off to a great start.

Roy Benson

Knorp

Bart: your horse and buggy duo in the Leica thread was excellent...was this part of a wedding? Thanks for your kind words re: the garden pics.

Roy Benson
Hi Roy,

Yes I think that couple just got married.
The actual joke is about the horses: the one with his head down and the other horse looking at him pitiful ... :)
Thanks for looking !

Kind regards.

MalcolmP

Well!I can certainly vouch for the K5's weather sealing.Taken at Portland Bill on the Jurassic coast in Dorset last tuesday.The humble kit lens(18-55)did ok and its hard to think of another camera at this price that could stand up to, as good as, total immersion in a force 8-10.
Regards
Malcolm

Knorp

Very dramatic light and what a spectacular shot, Malcolm. Awesome :thumbs:
Of course your K5 could stand up to the powers of nature, but what about you ?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Paratom

Each time I come here I really enjoy all those great images...and I do like the Pentax color.
Some months ago I had sold my K5 because I found the accurancy of the AF not reliable. (too often shots which are slightly front or backfocused)
Now I sometimes miss the camera...and wondered how the overall experience regarding AF. We are 1 or 2 firmware later now, and maybe I just had to bad samples of the camera?
Any comments? Thanks a lot. I might give it another try.

raist3d

Each time I come here I really enjoy all those great images...and I do like the Pentax color.
Some months ago I had sold my K5 because I found the accurancy of the AF not reliable. (too often shots which are slightly front or backfocused)
Now I sometimes miss the camera...and wondered how the overall experience regarding AF. We are 1 or 2 firmware later now, and maybe I just had to bad samples of the camera?
Any comments? Thanks a lot. I might give it another try.
The images are taken by the people that take them, not the K-5. My comment is stick with the wonderful camera you bought when you got away from the K-5 and focus on using it. You will be a better photographer that way.

Truth is all these cameras are great. The K-5 has superb ergonomics/IQ/etc. and so does what you have - or you wouldn't have bought it. The AF has improved in low light vastly with the firmware upgrade that addressed it, but it's still "idiosyncratic." I wouldn't recommend a K-5 to those who absolutely want AF that is easy to understand.

The K-5 main issue here is the size of the AF sensor. At certain distances it focuses very fast. Once you go past a certain distance where the subject is smaller, the camera may start picking up detail around the subject in front of, or in the back of. There's a few times the K-5 AF has been spot on with moving real hard to shoot subjects, but this idiosyncrasy makes it seem unpredictable and that's not good.

If you aren't willing to try MF with a K-5, I would say don't get it. But either way, stick with the wonderful camera you have. What's wrong?

Just my 2 cents.

- Raist

Paratom

Hi Raist,
of course the images are taken by people and not the camera and my comment was meant as a compliment for many of the images/photographers in this thread.
Still most cameras have a certain signature regarding color - and I do like that signature of the Pentax.
I dont need an AF which is easy to understand, I need a way to reliable focus when taking images. If there is a weak point its ok for me as long as I have a solution for a way to work around. As I understand you- the way around could be manual focus for those situations where the AF could be fooled because of the size of the sensor. However I have to say with high resolution sensors, and when not using superfast lenses I find manual focus with 1.5crop-cameras not so easy. Specially some of the lenses have a very short focus thread as well.

The reasons why I asked is that I now use a Nex as my small walkaround camera instead of the K5. The IQ is fine but I now wish for more reach than the kit lens-and the Nex 18-200 is quite big compared to the body of the Nex 5- and the realtion between lens and camera size might get unbalanced (havent tried yet)
Also during the winter I found out that weather sealing can be quite usefull.
And last point I am not yet totally convinced by EVF.

These were the reasons why I sometimes remember my K5 and lately evaluated to get back in.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the AF and the honest answer.

Regards,Tom

The images are taken by the people that take them, not the K-5. My comment is stick with the wonderful camera you bought when you got away from the K-5 and focus on using it. You will be a better photographer that way.

Truth is all these cameras are great. The K-5 has superb ergonomics/IQ/etc. and so does what you have - or you wouldn't have bought it. The AF has improved in low light vastly with the firmware upgrade that addressed it, but it's still "idiosyncratic." I wouldn't recommend a K-5 to those who absolutely want AF that is easy to understand.

The K-5 main issue here is the size of the AF sensor. At certain distances it focuses very fast. Once you go past a certain distance where the subject is smaller, the camera may start picking up detail around the subject in front of, or in the back of. There's a few times the K-5 AF has been spot on with moving real hard to shoot subjects, but this idiosyncrasy makes it seem unpredictable and that's not good.

If you aren't willing to try MF with a K-5, I would say don't get it. But either way, stick with the wonderful camera you have. What's wrong?

Just my 2 cents.

- Raist