The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Pentax K5 series of photos from my New Orleans trip last month

Most of these were taken with the K5 and the DA* 16-50 one or two were taken with the 31mm Ltd and the DA* 50-135mm. There are more on my website under the K5 section.. still working on the set.. took over 3000 photos during 5 days in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I've just scratched the surface this weekend. Work, real work, keeps getting in my way. Enjoy!

Cooler

43lim, egyptian pigeon

Ps: Jim. i didn't saw your photos when i was posting my, unbelievable shots!! Really, especially 2,3,5,8,11. Did you made 2 an 5 by 31lim?

Terry

Jim,
I hadn't had a chance to check back in and see how it went at Mardi Gras this year.
Numbers 2, 8 and 11 are my favorite with number 8 being just amazing with the eyes.

Jim,
I hadn't had a chance to check back in and see how it went at Mardi Gras this year.
Numbers 2, 8 and 11 are my favorite with number 8 being just amazing with the eyes.
It was great, Terry! You should have joined us. So many amazing photo ops...people, places and things...not to mention some of the best food anywhere. Consider next year, it's always a good time.

Visit my K5 section for more and camera settings and lenses used.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Jim,

amazing shots. Like 2,4,6,7 the best but al are great. I love the dark tones.

All of course just because of the great camera :).

raist3d

Thanks didn't have to do much to any of them, the graveyard was the biggest challenge.. it doesn't look like it was dark.. but it was DARK.
I find these mardigrass shot better than the first ones I saw you did with the K-5. Makes sense as the tool is more known.

The color/tones in particular is better captured/pp.

- Raist

Terry

FYI - they were all watching a couple of whales....that could not be photographed and you could only see them breathing and coming up from a distance....that was too long to capture except with binoculars. First and last are my favorites.

View attachment 55646

raist3d

FYI - they were all watching a couple of whales....that could not be photographed and you could only see them breathing and coming up from a distance....that was too long to capture except with binoculars. First and last are my favorites.

View attachment 55646
Terry, I think that photo shows conclusive evidence of the Lochness monster :)

Guess what I am doing now? I am going to head to Daly beach! Only about 1 hour of shooting. But with the K-5 and nothing else.

- Raist

raist3d

I am actually slightly surprised you like DxO. It's very slow (Mac). They really need to support OpenCL on the Mac and speed it up. I think it's very good at dealing with lens distortions, CA's very very well. More so with so much lens profiling they are doing which is great.

Also the color profiles of other cameras, etc. They do that rather well.

High ISO noise- hmm.. they do ok. Sharpening? They need to improve that.

- Raist

Terry

The high ISO noise work on my NEX7 files is actually quite good.
I'm running it on a MacPro with 24GB of RAM so it isn't quite as slow as my laptop.

raist3d

More from today. Didn't go to Daly City beach, but thanks to taking the wrong turn thinking I was going there, ended up in Pacifica.

Beach house-

Owner and his dog

General K-5/system rant:

The autofocus of this camera sure seems idiosyncratic. There are times that very difficult shots to get it is spot on and others it is a miss. A huge part of this is that larger than usual sensor area, but that means that distant subjects, sports, etc start to become a pain to photograph relying on AF. I have been relying more and more on MF which is what I feel I should do for pretty much all cameras and the k-5 within reason allows for this (digital DSLR's unlike their film counterparts are just bad at this. Sony A900 is the best I have seen).

The 50-135 lens while it can do ok at F2.8 it's tricky to take shots of high contrast scenes like this because the image quality does fall apart a bit. Depending on the size you are going to print/use it's ok or not. By F4.0 is pretty decent.

At this point I feel I know my primes (DA 21mm Limited and DA 70mm limited) relatively well. Both are pretty good. The 50-135 has very nice micro contrast on the right apertures and can be really sharp at the right apertures, but seems I need to learn its "best window operating range" at a more intuitive level.

I need to also remember my 50-200 Olympus isn't exactly tack sharp at all apertures and focal lengths. What it seems to do better though is in situations of high contrast, even wide open, still hold itself relatively well and not indulge in too many CA's.

I just need to do more with this lens and the K-5, so may put the Q in the closet for a bit.

- Raist

Last edited:

raist3d

The high ISO noise work on my NEX7 files is actually quite good.
I'm running it on a MacPro with 24GB of RAM so it isn't quite as slow as my laptop.
Well that explains something :) At least they do use multicore. But I mean, Aperture exports oh so much faster than DXoPro on my laptop. Much much muuuuuuuuch faster.

- Raist