The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

ustein

Contributing Editor
Yes DxO is not really fast. But what helps fast if I get better results that I like. So I live with with it. They have support for GPU but still no way to call it fast.

>High ISO noise- hmm.. they do ok.

I would say the best noise removal I have seen. Does not hurt detail that much.

>Sharpening?

Is ok. I use my own sharpening on top anyway.

raist3d

Yes DxO is not really fast. But what helps fast if I get better results that I like. So I live with with it. They have support for GPU but still no way to call it fast.

>High ISO noise- hmm.. they do ok.

I would say the best noise removal I have seen. Does not hurt detail that much.

>Sharpening?

Is ok. I use my own sharpening on top anyway.
They say they use the GPU but on the Mac version they still don't support OpenCL. The Windows version 7.xx runs much faster because they do support OpenCL there. As for results, I like a lot of what I get with Aperture and Lightroom but varies per camera.

But yeah, I am liking DXo more and more though I regretted buying it at first. They do not support DNG (and hence Pentax Q) though which is rather annoying.

- Raist

MalcolmP

Hi all,
A couple of shots of a local blacksmith firewelding(think sword making,fold upon fold etc.)
Faults with both pictures,hey ho! but lots to learn and great fun.
Cheers
Malc

Knorp

Hi all,
A couple of shots of a local blacksmith firewelding(think sword making,fold upon fold etc.)
Cheers
Malc
Hi there Malcom,

spectacular stuff, specially that first shot is most wonderful with the sparks 'burning' those lines and so creating that bizarre pattern.
What lens ?

Kind regards.

MalcolmP

Hi Bart,
Thanks.yes,the shapes made by the splats was quite,,,explosive:)
Just the 18-55 kit lens.I dont think it and I did the opportunity justice(missed focus and poor rendering in the shadows,not the K5 just me and the lens) but I'll have another go sometime.The lens I've got that I should have used maybe(better glass all the way round)is the 10-20 f3.5 sigma but I'll have to get it re aligned,it just went out(weird)sometime ago.
Regards
Malcolm

raist3d

Hi all,
Cheers
Malc
Wow that looks really weird… looks like he's rendered by a game 3d engine :)

Interesting. I think I like the one in color more because the other has too much sparkle way over the top (looks even more game like).

- Raist

MalcolmP

Hi Raist
I agree the first one has rendered a bit odd.I put it down to operater error and a very slow shutter speed, no real focus point,and a lens thats not too hot at dealing with very,very extreme light levels.But mainly operater error:)
Glad you liked the colour one,cheers.Dual flash heads and much easier to control.Not lay over a 5 foot loft hatch with only my "not what they used to be abs" holding me level helped:)(gotta get fitter)
Hi Jim,
Thank you very much.
Regards
Malcolm

tsjanik

Hi Raist
I agree the first one has rendered a bit odd.I put it down to operater error and a very slow shutter speed, no real focus point,and a lens thats not too hot at dealing with very,very extreme light levels.But mainly operater error:)
Glad you liked the colour one,cheers.Dual flash heads and much easier to control.Not lay over a 5 foot loft hatch with only my "not what they used to be abs" holding me level helped:)(gotta get fitter)
Hi Jim,
Thank you very much.
Regards
Malcolm
Malcolm, I very much like the first shot. The sharpness of the sparks contrasts with the slight blur of background, giving a sense of the timescale of the events. A picture with everything sharp would be interesting as well, but different.

Tom

MalcolmP

Hi Tom,
Thank you.
By the way, hows your picture a day project coming along? I do admire the commitment that that must take and the consistant high quality of what I've seen so far.
Regards
Malcolm

tsjanik

Hi Tom,
Thank you.
By the way, hows your picture a day project coming along? I do admire the commitment that that must take and the consistant high quality of what I've seen so far.
Regards
Malcolm
It's turning out to be more difficult than expected, at least to get a good image. So in desperation I take so-so images and try for interesting titles

1-31_IGP7231_1793 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

2-9_IGP7317_2255 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

MalcolmP

Hi Tom,
Having looked at these and the set posted on Flickr I think your being very modest.:salute:
Call that so-so,,,"pa"! heres a few examples of so-so and I can't even think of cool titles!:) Infact so much so that if you look up so-so you'll see my pics:)
Isnt it strange how we all see different things,for example a few of the folks who have seen the dog in the window shot said I should crop the clock out!only a few picked up on the fact that the clock was facing out in the first place.!
A couple of lensbaby shots,a concrete abstract taken with an old smc50mm f1.4 and the dog(ten to one)18-55 kit lens.
Regards and good luck with the shot a day.
Malcolm

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks Malcolm. I think if you start working with titles, it gets easier; some suggestions:
1. Do You Know How Long It's Been Since I've Been Outside? - at least then people would stop suggesting removal of the clock.
2. Is the Universe Curved?
3. Can't help with the Clemantis
4. Need New Glasses?

Tom

Pentax K5 and DA* 16-50

I took this last night while the Trinity River is still flooding offering a chance for city lights on the water.

Pentax K5 ISO 800 f/8.0 1.3 second exposure.