The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Texas in the Spring - Wildflowers

Spent the afternoon traveling back roads of Texas near Hillsborough looking for a good selection of wild flowers to shoot... here are a few. All taken with the K5 and the DA* 16-50mm

These wild flowers appear every spring for a few weeks of enjoyment. They are all over Texas but North Central Texas appears to have the best roadside displays of wild flowers. Spent this afternoon exploring back roads near Hillsborough, TX looking for these....

Oh My...

This morning I rose before dawn and headed back to the location I have found for shooting wildflowers and sunrises... I was adjusting the shutter speed, ISO, focal length and just firing off shots because these sunrises don't give you a second chance. I did not see this shot until I got home and began to download the photos to my computer. I saw it in realtime but it did not dawn on me (pardon the pun) how beautiful this morning's sunrise was until I looked at this shot. What a beautiful planet we live on.

Pentax K5 & DA * 16-50 ISO 200 f/4.5 @ 1/2000s

raist3d

Talking to an Aussie punk in the Castro last night. He knows at the age of 18 far more of what's going on in the USA than many people here.

Very torn on which RAW converter to use - LR4 vs DXO. Ended up picking DXo because thought the color was better, though LR 4 seemed to do the detail better.

- Raist

T

tommykoktebel

Hi everybody!:salute: I am a new guy here and beginner...need Your comments, please. All done with k5+18-135WR camera jpegs cropped in couple of cases..hope it is not too much;) and You can stand me...gonna keep on posting:D

T

tommykoktebel

Thanks for comment...few more dancers for You from same event. Sorry, if few cases shutter speed seems not as short as necessary...first experience with such event.

tsjanik

Very nice, I like the first and last in particular. You might try an even slower shutter speed sometime; the moving dancers would be a blur of color.

raist3d

Thanks for comment...few more dancers for You from same event. Sorry, if few cases shutter speed seems not as short as necessary...first experience with such event.
First experiences are always tough, particularly if I am used to shooting a certain type of environment (say daylight) and I went into something quite different (dancers/ low light, mixed light, etc.).

I have found it best to repeat and learn, examine the shots etc.

- Raist

raist3d

All here the 50-135mm. Shot close to high noon. I think on top of that I made them too contrasty.. on my calibrated monitor they look but on others it seems a bit too high contrast. Comments on that?

- Raist

T

tommykoktebel

Very nice, I like the first and last in particular. You might try an even slower shutter speed sometime; the moving dancers would be a blur of color.
Hi, everybody, M A N Y thanks for comments, those photos still remind me of the E V E N T...which was kinda SPECIAL

Last edited:

tsjanik

All here the 50-135mm. Shot close to high noon. I think on top of that I made them too contrasty.. on my calibrated monitor they look but on others it seems a bit too high contrast. Comments on that?

- Raist

Very harsh light and I would say too much contrast for that kind of lighting.

Something Different - K5 & DA*16-50mm

This is so different than what I normally shoot but I had to try it....

A shot of smoke and fire, mostly fire with the K5 and the DA* 16-50mm. We rarely see the complexity of fire and smoke unless we can stop the action to look at it before it morphs into something the eye will miss and our brains will paint as "an average" of what we really saw due to persistence of vision.