The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

silasslack

An almost dream-like picture, Silas.
At the moment I'm very much in love with the E-M5, but I really should take out the K5 more often.

All the best.
Thanks... My Dad is in love with his E-M5 too. From my limited playing it seems fantastic... The NEX5n fits that slot for me at the moment. I don't know if I could do without focus peaking for using MF lenses (mostly it lives with a Voigtlander 35 f2.5 and a helecoid adapter)

S

Steam Locomotive in for repair - K5 & DA* 16-50mm

It's been a while since I posted here as I have been using the Fuji X-Pro1 quite a bit but I am now revisiting some of my K5 shots since getting Lightroom 4.1 and thought I would post this one here.

I took this shot with the K5 and the DA* 16-50mm some time ago but I have recently added Lightroom 4.1 to my workflow and did a new version of this shot. It started in Lightroom and finished in Photoshop for a little dodging and burning which I am not quite good at in Lightroom at this point. Lightroom 4.1 is the first version of Lightroom that I have actually liked. It is still a bit slow compared to Photoshop but it has some fine tuning capabilities that are missing in Photoshop.. so, it's a trade-off. Bottom line is this photo looks much better to me having gone through Lightroom.

ISO 400 f/2.8 18mm focal length 1/30s exposure - handheld

biglouis

Jim

How do you like the Fuji X-Pro 1 compared to the K5? I recall some stunning shots you took with the K5. Which would you recommend?

LouisB

Jim

How do you like the Fuji X-Pro 1 compared to the K5? I recall some stunning shots you took with the K5. Which would you recommend?

LouisB
Louis, I like them both and often use the K5 for different purposes, in particular concert and anything involving action. Having said that...

The X-Pro1 is outstanding. The high ISO performance beats any camera I have ever owned. The IQ out of the camera is often astonishing. Its small size and those three lenses (18, 25 and 60mm) are all very good.

The hybrid viewfinder is a blessing as well and I use it often. Those not familiar with "rangefinder" style cameras may be put off due the the paralex but you can get used to it very quickly. I started with a rangefinder and knew what to expect.. and of course you can simply switch to the EVF and see exactly what you are going to get as opposed to the optical viewfinder.

It is slow to focus in low light / low contrast situations but when focus is locked it is 99.9% always spot on. Great bokeh and the Fuji film simulations are spot on. It has become the camera I carry with me at all times.

When the new lenses come out I will buy them. This camera is a real keeper for me.. it just works for me on so many levels but the main thing is the quality of the images it produces... they are outstanding.

Here are a few samples....

And this was my first ever attempt at shooting the night sky with the X-Pro1, not perfect because I didn't know what I was doing but impressive to me.

You can see more of what I have been getting from the X-Pro1 at this link:
Fuji X-Pro1 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

benroy

Subscriber Member
Ian and Jim Radcliffe are hard acts to follow, but here are some cactus closeups shot with the 43 and 77...getting back into the "fun with K5" action.

Last edited:

biglouis

Louis, I like them both and often use the K5 for different purposes, in particular concert and anything involving action. Having said that...

The X-Pro1 is outstanding. The high ISO performance beats any camera I have ever owned. The IQ out of the camera is often astonishing. Its small size and those three lenses (18, 25 and 60mm) are all very good.
Jim

Outstanding shots. Just got rid of all my Leica rangefinder kit as I can't keep up with their ludicrous pricing and even more ludicrous product introductions.

I've tried the X Pro-1 and it is a hard camera not to like.

Need to persaude the wife that I need another camera, though!

LouisB

Jim

Outstanding shots. Just got rid of all my Leica rangefinder kit as I can't keep up with their ludicrous pricing and even more ludicrous product introductions.

I've tried the X Pro-1 and it is a hard camera not to like.

Need to persaude the wife that I need another camera, though!

LouisB
Louis, as I said in my semi-review of the X-Pro1.. The X-Pro 1 is everything I like about a rangefinder.. without it actually being a rangefinder. It's a small, boxy camera. It's quiet, has three great lenses to start with, it's non-threatening, it has outstanding image quality and dynamic range, terrific high ISO performance, it's black and it's not made by Leica.

It is a bit pricey but compared to Leica prices and considering the IQ you get.. it is a helluva bargain. I would take the X-Pro1 over an M8 or M9 any day.

I have three systems I use and one point and shoot. Panasonic GH2, Pentax K5, Fuji X-Pro1 and a Leica D-Lux 4. I use them all and unless something truly amazing is introduced in the near future I see no need for more gear at this time other than the upcoming lenses for the X-Pro1.

MalcolmP

Good shots by all above :thumbup:
My offerings-mooching around Worcester cathedral with the Tamron 17-50
Regards
Malc

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Very pleasant surprise...150/3.5 Pentax 645 lens adapted to K5...short, compact, well constructed.

So the 150mm on the K5 body comes out to 225mm...on a short, unassuming lens.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
No surprise here...legendary Pentax 120/4 macro lens for 645 adapted to K5...the nonpareil of macro lenses...on the K5 120mm becomes 180mm

Last edited:

Knorp

No surprise here...legendary Pentax 120/4 macro lens for 645 adapted to K5...the nonpareil of macro lenses...on the K5 120mm becomes 180mm
What an amazing lens, Roy.
The IQ is outstanding and in particular the red flower and the wet grass shots show excellent detail.
I take it there is no AF, so you must still have good eyesight ... :bugeyes:

All the best.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Bart. You have to stop down and manually focus...these 80 year old eyes are good for about 20-30 exposures...then the batting average for sharp shots gets lower and lower. I appreciate your interest.

Roy Benson