The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Rich M

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5 IIS

Walked into a camera store today and there is was.. just one.. just arrived.. never opened.. Pentax K5 IIS. I tried it, I loved it, I brought it home.
Not much time to shoot today.. these are all pretty much right out of the camera JPGs taken with the K5 IIS and the DA* 50-135. I forgot to set the RAW to DNG and for now I am not going to bother with the PEF files.
Congratulations on the new camera Jim....the K-5, is in my mind, the best ergonomically designed dSLR camera currently on the market. It was nice to have Pentax recognize that and not change the camera body/design with the upgraded sensor.

I will be curious to hear if you think that the K-5iiS has better focus accuracy than its sibling....esp with the 50-135.

Regards.....R

Congratulations on the new camera Jim....the K-5, is in my mind, the best ergonomically designed dSLR camera currently on the market. It was nice to have Pentax recognize that and not change the camera body/design with the upgraded sensor.

I will be curious to hear if you think that the K-5iiS has better focus accuracy than its sibling....esp with the 50-135.

Regards.....R
Rich, Yes, there is a lot to like about the K5. After four days of using and playing with the K5 IIs I can absolutely say that the AF accuracy is better than what I have experienced with my original K5.

AF speed seems to be a bit faster but I would settle for just the better accuracy so the marginal increase in speed is considered a bonus. Also the ability to lock focus in very dark situations is a big deal to me. The IIs does do a better job in that department.

Oh, one more note.. in your PM to me you mentioned that you had to make micro-adjustments to your lenses on the original K5. So did I. Every lens I owned needed adjustment except the DA 35mm Macro on my original K5. On the K5 IIs not a single one of the lenses has required micro-adjustment. That seems strange because all of the adjustments I made on the original K5 were not the same. Some (the DA *s) required as much as a +10 while others only needed a 2 to 5 adjustment. Why none of the lenses have needed no adjustment on the K5 IIs is a mystery.... a mystery I am willing to accept... as long as the focus is spot on... I'm happy.

Last edited:

raist3d

Well, I have a K5 and the IQ is visibly better out of the K5 IIs. I've been using a K5 for about two years (since March 2011) and feel I have enough experience with it to get the best IQ possible. One afternoon using the IIs was all it took to prove the value of the upgrade to me.

My K5 will soon be for sale.
I understand. And I have seen full size images that prove the point. All I am saying is on these images, I really don't see much a k-5 can't do.

- racist

raist3d

Hi Jim,

that sounds interesting. Can you estimate, how many stops the K5IIs is better in high ISO vs. your old K5 and how would you compare IQ and high ISO to your Fuji X-Pro1?

Print size would be max A3+ for me
According to dxo, both are pretty much the Same in high ISo/dr though I would expect the new k to do a notch better by having the finer resolution.

What I am really most Inretested in is if they solved the af issues.

- raist

raist3d

Well, I have a K5 and the IQ is visibly better out of the K5 IIs. I've been using a K5 for about two years (since March 2011) and feel I have enough experience with it to get the best IQ possible. One afternoon using the IIs was all it took to prove the value of the upgrade to me.

My K5 will soon be for sale.

I understand and I have seen some full size images that prove the point. Just that these posted don't seem to be out of reach of a k-5. Seems like not much of an upgrade if your target medium is web.

I would love to hear what you think about the af vs the k-5's

Thanks for sharing your experiences

- raist

raist3d

Rich, Yes, there is a lot to like about the K5. After four days of using and playing with the K5 IIs I can absolutely say that the AF accuracy is better than what I have experienced with my original K5.

AF speed seems to be a bit faster but I would settle for just the better accuracy so the marginal increase in speed is considered a bonus. Also the ability to lock focus in very dark situations is a big deal to me. The IIs does do a better job in that department.

Oh, one more note.. in your PM to me you mentioned that you had to make micro-adjustments to your lenses on the original K5. So did I. Every lens I owned needed adjustment except the DA 35mm Macro on my original K5. On the K5 IIs not a single one of the lenses has required micro-adjustment. That seems strange because all of the adjustments I made on the original K5 were not the same. Some (the DA *s) required as much as a +10 while others only needed a 2 to 5 adjustment. Why none of the lenses have needed no adjustment on the K5 IIs is a mystery.... a mystery I am willing to accept... as long as the focus is spot on... I'm happy.
That sounds like really good news. I know the k-30 has a specific glass to deal with ca for the phase detector sensor so probably the k-5iis has that too

- raist

Hi Jim

since you used also the Canon 5D MKII fullframe DSLR: Is the center point AF of the K5IIs as fast and accurate as the one in your Canon (nothing scientific, just a rough estimate)?

And since you asked in another thread about F1.2 lenses for Pentax, do you miss fullframe for more shallow DOF while using the K5? Could be that a dealbreaker for you longterm to switch back to fullframe?

I am very much attracted to the K5 IIS, but not sure yet whether I want to give up my fullframe because of DOF...

PenSon

That sounds like really good news. I know the k-30 has a specific glass to deal with ca for the phase detector sensor so probably the k-5iis has that too

- raist
Some minor adjustments have been done on every lens I have with the K-5iis.
btw. there are differences how the AF works with liveview and OVF. With liveview no need for adjustments. The liveview focus is also slow on focusing.

Trygve

Hi Jim

since you used also the Canon 5D MKII fullframe DSLR: Is the center point AF of the K5IIs as fast and accurate as the one in your Canon (nothing scientific, just a rough estimate)?

And since you asked in another thread about F1.2 lenses for Pentax, do you miss fullframe for more shallow DOF while using the K5? Could be that a dealbreaker for you longterm to switch back to fullframe?

I am very much attracted to the K5 IIS, but not sure yet whether I want to give up my full-frame because of DOF...

Center point AF on the K5 IIs is quite good. It's been two years since I sold my Canon gear and memory fades over that amount of time so I am going to say that the two are about the same. The Canon often missed critical focus in low light and I believe that the K5 IIs does a better job of locking focus in low light situations. I do not believe the original K5 was as good as the IIs in this area.

No, I do not miss full-frame. The lack of full-frame is certainly not a deal breaker at all. The fast Ltd lenses I have (31, 43, 77) provide good subject isolation and good bokeh as well.

The main reason I was asking about faster glass was not so much about subject isolation as being able to shoot at lower ISO settings in very dark situations. I was never very happy with the Canon noise at higher ISO settings.. I rarely shot over ISO 800 when using the Canon due to noise.

I miss nothing about my Canon gear... especially the weight and bulk of that gear. The K5 IIS has a better build, smaller and is much more weather resistant than the Canon.

I would suggest you try to rent a K5 IIs or K5 II before you abandon your full frame gear. Try before you buy is always the wisest thing to do if you have that opportunity.

Some minor adjustments have been done on every lens I have with the K-5iis.
btw. there are differences how the AF works with liveview and OVF. With liveview no need for adjustments. The liveview focus is also slow on focusing.

Trygve
You are correct. Live View is slow and I rarely use it but when I do I am very thankful it is available.

I have still seen no need whatsoever to make any micro adjustments on my lenses with the K5 IIs.

Center point AF on the K5 IIs is quite good. It's been two years since I sold my Canon gear and memory fades over that amount of time so I am going to say that the two are about the same. The Canon often missed critical focus in low light and I believe that the K5 IIs does a better job of locking focus in low light situations. I do not believe the original K5 was as good as the IIs in this area.

No, I do not miss full-frame. The lack of full-frame is certainly not a deal breaker at all. The fast Ltd lenses I have (31, 43, 77) provide good subject isolation and good bokeh as well.

The main reason I was asking about faster glass was not so much about subject isolation as being able to shoot at lower ISO settings in very dark situations. I was never very happy with the Canon noise at higher ISO settings.. I rarely shot over ISO 800 when using the Canon due to noise.

I miss nothing about my Canon gear... especially the weight and bulk of that gear. The K5 IIS has a better build, smaller and is much more weather resistant than the Canon.

I would suggest you try to rent a K5 IIs or K5 II before you abandon your full frame gear. Try before you buy is always the wisest thing to do if you have that opportunity.
Hi Jim,

thanks for the detailed information. Yes, had the K5 in my hands 1 yeasr ago and liked it very much. But was not in the mood to switch. Now this is different with the new Sony strategy :(

I have to decide between 3 options: D600, K5 IIs or Fuji Xpro-1.

You mentioned high ISO of your Canon fullframe. Is the K5 better in high ISO (1600-6400) than Canon fullframe? I would be impressed. Would make the decision easier for me :)

How would you compare ISO 1600-6400 of K5 with your Fuji X-Pro1? Just impressions, nothing scientific. I am not a pixel peeper...

PenSon

I have the Fuji and Pentax cameras. Both are very nice in the 1600 to 6400 ISO range. Noticed one thing with exposure and ISO values.
If I put the Fuji on ISO value 6400 and the Pentax with ISO value 3200, I will have the same shutter speed and aperture value. The same object and light in the room. The Lenses Fuji 35mm and Pentax 35mm macro.
Maybe for comparing the ISO´s on cameras it is important to check the shutter speed and aperture value will have the same values for the cameras to be compared.

Trygve;)

I have the Fuji and Pentax cameras. Both are very nice in the 1600 to 6400 ISO range. Noticed one thing with exposure and ISO values.
If I put the Fuji on ISO value 6400 and the Pentax with ISO value 3200, I will have the same shutter speed and aperture value. The same object and light in the room. The Lenses Fuji 35mm and Pentax 35mm macro.
Maybe for comparing the ISO´s on cameras it is important to check the shutter speed and aperture value will have the same values for the cameras to be compared.

Trygve;)
wow, if the K5 and the Fuji would be similar good/noise free in this high ISO range from 1600-6400, this would make my decision a lot easier. I would then rather prefer the K5. The colours and dynamic range at high ISO with the K5 is lovely as far as I can judge here from the images. And K5 has better LR4 support...

PenSon

Not scientific but pictures with xpro and k5iis.

Pentax K5iis lens 35mm macro, 6400 iso , aperture 8 , shutter 1/30

Fuji Xpro-1 lens 35mm, 6400 iso, aperture 8, shutter 1/30

No photoshopping and adjustments on computer. just resizing for the web.

More light on the pentax picture with similar setup. So it looks like the pentax have one step more to go on.

Trygve;)

Hi Jim,

You mentioned high ISO of your Canon fullframe. Is the K5 better in high ISO (1600-6400) than Canon fullframe? I would be impressed. Would make the decision easier for me :)

How would you compare ISO 1600-6400 of K5 with your Fuji X-Pro1? Just impressions, nothing scientific. I am not a pixel peeper...
It is hard for me to say as I have not had the Canon gear for the last two years. If I still had it I would do some test shots for you.. but that is not possible and it is hard for me to give you an accurate read on this.

I just remember shooting both before I got rid of the Canon (I had the original K5 at the time) and the high ISO shots were about equal at the time with the K5 sometimes appearing better to my eye.

Not scientific but pictures with xpro and k5iis.

Pentax K5iis lens 35mm macro, 6400 iso , aperture 8 , shutter 1/30

Fuji Xpro-1 lens 35mm, 6400 iso, aperture 8, shutter 1/30

No photoshopping and adjustments on computer. just resizing for the web.

More light on the pentax picture with similar setup. So it looks like the pentax have one step more to go on.

Trygve;)
The Fuji shot looks better to me.. which is OK as I have the X-Pro1 myself and love using it.

Rich M

The Fuji shot looks better to me.. which is OK as I have the X-Pro1 myself and love using it.
I agree. I have the X-Pro1 and the K-5IIS, and while not shooting side by side, I feel the the Fuji is one stop "better" (i.e. 6400ISO on the Fuji ~= 3200ISO on the Pentax).

However, these are entirely different cameras in the way that I use them. I grab the Fuji for static shots of people and landscapes. The Pentax is for reach, isolation and action. Anything else is a bonus.

R

Thanks for the comparison shots between the Pentax K5IIs and the Fuji X pro1.

I decided to switch to the Fuji X-system. Not only because of high ISO. I will buy second hand, so if someone wants to get rid of his Fuji, just leave me a note :)