The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jim,

these shots are really impressive!

Also great to hear that the K5 in it's K5IIs incarnation seems to overcome much of the issues the original K5 had (at least mine).

I will need to rent a K5IIs and see how it works for me today, as it definitely is more of a photo camera for me than my OMD and m43 system.

Will be also interesting to see what the next model of the K5 will look like. I personally do not think FF would be the huge success for Pentax, as it would require a complete new lens lineup. But a even more improved APSC DSLR with even better sensor based on latest technology would be maybe the real winner. Especially as CaNikon seem to loose to much interest in pro grade APSC DSLRs.

Again great work!

Peter

One of the shots I wanted to get...

One of the shots I have always wanted to get was one of the New Orleans streetcars in fog at night. The first night I arrived in New Orleans there was patchy fog along the Mississippi River bordering the French Quarter... I got lucky. This is one of several shots taken over a period of about an hour and a half. The cars only run every fifteen to twenty minutes or so. I had to wait on the cars and only had a few seconds as each passed... but it was worth it. I had to shoot at a high ISO due to the low light and the need to capture the streetcar without motion view.

Pentax K5 IIs DA* 16-50 f/2.8 ISO 3200 1/100s

Night Work in the French Quarter with the K5 IIs

Here is a shot I took in the French Quarter of New Orleans. This little house is the object of my desire. I would dearly love to own it. The French Quarter of New Orleans has hundreds of these little houses and the back streets of the Quarter are great for night photography. This was taken with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm at ISO 800 f/2.8 1/25s hand held.

Love NOLA. It's like no place else.

raist3d

Re: Night Work in the French Quarter with the K5 IIs

Here is a shot I took in the French Quarter of New Orleans. This little house is the object of my desire. I would dearly love to own it. The French Quarter of New Orleans has hundreds of these little houses and the back streets of the Quarter are great for night photography. This was taken with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm at ISO 800 f/2.8 1/25s hand held.

Love NOLA. It's like no place else.
Very nice, looks almost like a computer 3d graphics render.

- Raist

Knorp

Very nice, looks almost like a computer 3d graphics render.

- Raist
+1 I bet there's quite a bit of your PP skill involved, but it has a fabulous sense of drama and mood.
And it's pretty well sharp at 1/25th :thumbup:
Still, I expected less noise at ISO 800.

Kind regards.

+1 I bet there's quite a bit of your PP skill involved, but it has a fabulous sense of drama and mood.
And it's pretty well sharp at 1/25th :thumbup:
Still, I expected less noise at ISO 800.

Kind regards.
The noise is the result of me pushing an underexposed image. Had I been smart.. which I wasn't... I would have used a tripod and bracketed. :(

The noise level on the K5 IIs seems to be better than on the original K5... the noise here is all due to my errors and the lack of a proper noise reduction plugin. Hope to remedy that soon.

Last edited:

Knorp

The noise is the result of me pushing an underexposed image. Had I been smart.. which I wasn't... I would have used a tripod and bracketed. :(

The noise level on the K5 IIs seems to be better than on the original K5... the noise here is all due to my errors and the lack of a proper noise reduction plugin. Hope to remedy that soon.
Fair enough and thanks for clarifying, Jim.

All the best.

One Last Streetcar shot..... I promise...

I am not always obsessed with a photo looking like a photo. In fact, some of the best "photo-art" that I have is a derivative of a photograph like this one.

This was given a watercolor treatment and saturation and contrast boost. Printed on textured paper the results can be striking when matted and framed. Somtimes shots that did not look all the great as a pure photograph can take on new and surprising life when given various "art" treatments.

Taken with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm.

Now I'll find something else to bore you guys with.. :)

Knorp

Hey Jim,

you'll never going to bore us with your street cars :)
And I think you're absolutely right that specific treatments can turn an otherwise 'dull' photo into something very pleasing.
I can see that this last iteration will do nicely in poster format !

But actually I had hoped for some more 'Mardi Gras' photos ... :p

All the very best.

Hey Jim,

you'll never going to bore us with your street cars :)
And I think you're absolutely right that specific treatments can turn an otherwise 'dull' photo into something very pleasing.
I can see that this last iteration will do nicely in poster format !

But actually I had hoped for some more 'Mardi Gras' photos ... :p

All the very best.
Bart, I hope to have more Mardi Gras stuff soon.. I am headed to Austin this weekend for some photography at the Grand Am race... check out the track

By the way, when is the best time to visit Amsterdam? Always wanted to visit but never seem to get the time.

Jim

Knorp

Bart, I hope to have more Mardi Gras stuff soon.. I am headed to Austin this weekend for some photography at the Grand Am race... check out the track

By the way, when is the best time to visit Amsterdam? Always wanted to visit but never seem to get the time.

Jim
Visiting Amsterdam ? I'd say late April or May, but isn't this true for all cities ?
BTW 2013 is an anniversary year with all kinds of special events.
Check out this site: Portal to Amsterdam | I amsterdam

Or see this on YouTube: AMSTERDAM 2013 - A Full Year of Celebration

Looking forward to your track shots !

Kind regards.

Visiting Amsterdam ? I'd say late April or May, but isn't this true for all cities ?
BTW 2013 is an anniversary year with all kinds of special events.
Check out this site: Portal to Amsterdam | I amsterdam

Or see this on YouTube: AMSTERDAM 2013 - A Full Year of Celebration

Looking forward to your track shots !

Kind regards.
Thanks, Bart.. will check them out. I have never been to Europe.. always planning but never following through. My family came from the UK just after World War I. My wife is of German decent and I guess that is why she does not understand why I find British humor to be so funny.. must be a genetic thing.

retow

That K5II looks tempting, but in the hands of Jim most cameras do.
However, a can do it all, bang it around system with very good IQ, some really good lenses, including very compact primes, not too bulky, not too heavy, competitive on price. If one does not mind a little extra bulk, why do we even bother with mft or FujiX premium prices with all their systems` workaround requirements?

Knorp

My family came from the UK just after World War I. My wife is of German decent and I guess that is why she does not understand why I find British humor to be so funny.. must be a genetic thing.
A genetic thing: that must be it ... :)
However, being Dutch, I'm quite fond of British comedy series.
Actually, I think this is true for the majority of the Dutch.

Kind regards.