The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Knorp

Re: K5 IIs and The Tiger Woman

Here's another shot taken at Mardi Gras. I run into this woman every year and every year she has a different costume. This year she was a Tiger Woman Warrior. Love the K5 IIs.. so much detail. DA* 16-50mm
Jim, a very 'lively' frightening image, almost better than real ... :shocked:
But it begs the question: how do you manage to recognise this woman in her different outfits ?

:OT: I'm thinking of trading in my silver K5, but undecided yet.

All the best.

Jim, a very 'lively' frightening image, almost better than real ... :shocked:
But it begs the question: how do you manage to recognise this woman in her different outfits ?

:OT: I'm thinking of trading in my silver K5, but undecided yet.

All the best.
She is always with the same parade group on Fat Tuesday. She is always easy to spot no matter what costume she is wearing...

"Mondo Kayo Social & Marching Club - Uptown, French Quarter, Mariginy - 7:45 am
Formed in 1982, this group is based on a love of Caribbean, South American and African-based music styles. They share their love of music starting at Third and Magazine, traveling on to St. Charles, Canal, Rampart and through the Quarter to Marigny, ending at Chartres and Frenchmen Streets, where they celebrate for the rest of the day."

I've never been a big fan of silver cameras.. always liked black.. can't really say why other than silver never appealed to me.

Knorp

I've never been a big fan of silver cameras.. always liked black.. can't really say why other than silver never appealed to me.
All of my cameras are silver ... :toocool:
:D

And thanks for the link, Jim.
Nice group.

Kind regards.

Another Night, Another Photo

Seems like I can only find time to work on one photo per day.. work is keeping me from fun. I give you "Happy Guy" taken during Mardi Gras in New Orleans with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50. Post in Photoshop CS6.

Hi Jim,

if you look at your statistics in lightroom with your K5, which ISO numbers do you use in moste cases?

Is it like 60% ISO100, 20% ISO200-400 and 20% abover ISO400?

I would be specifically interested in the percentages within the ISO 100-400 range.

Thanks

Hi Jim,

if you look at your statistics in lightroom with your K5, which ISO numbers do you use in moste cases?

Is it like 60% ISO100, 20% ISO200-400 and 20% abover ISO400?

I would be specifically interested in the percentages within the ISO 100-400 range.

Thanks
Sorry to say that although I have Lightroom I have abandoned it.. Lightroom just does not work for me. I cut my teeth on Photoshop over 10 years ago and use Photoshop CS6. Bottom line is that I really don't have any statistics in Lightroom for the K5 IIs.

I can tell you that I usually shoot at ISO 200 during daylight hours and rarely go higher than ISO 800 at night unless there is an extreme situation

I have to share this from DPReview Pentax Forum

I posted the Happy Guy photo in the Pentax Forum on DPReview and got the usual responses... I swear, none of those guys look for anything but faults in a camera or a photo. If I get more GearHead responses I will share them.

Here we go...

Comment 1: Is that moire in the guy's hair, or is that really the texture of the hair?

Comment 2: When I look at the original size version, I see that his upper teeth have blue/purple bottoms? Was this color actually on his teeth or is it something to do with the camera/lens combo?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: I have to share this from DPReview Pentax Forum

I posted the Happy Guy photo in the Pentax Forum on DPReview and got the usual responses... I swear, none of those guys look for anything but faults in a camera or a photo. If I get more GearHead responses I will share them.

Here we go...

Comment 1: Is that moire in the guy's hair, or is that really the texture of the hair?

Comment 2: When I look at the original size version, I see that his upper teeth have blue/purple bottoms? Was this color actually on his teeth or is it something to do with the camera/lens combo?
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

It's the camera fondler's forum. They should really change their name. I can't see why it's called Digital Photography Review when only a minority of the active participants actually use their gear to take photos with, other than test charts, their dog/cat or their backyard.

With regards to statistics: I do think you can get some statistics from Bridge as well, but possibly only on a folder level. I haven't bothered to check though. I'm also a PS CS6 only user. Have tried LR, C1 and Aperture, and although all of them are nice tools, I work much faster in PS, but then I have been a user since the nineties.

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

It's the camera fondler's forum. They should really change their name. I can't see why it's called Digital Photography Review when only a minority of the active participants actually use their gear to take photos with, other than test charts, their dog/cat or their backyard.

With regards to statistics: I do think you can get some statistics from Bridge as well, but possibly only on a folder level. I haven't bothered to check though. I'm also a PS CS6 only user. Have tried LR, C1 and Aperture, and although all of them are nice tools, I work much faster in PS, but then I have been a user since the nineties.
Yeah, I forget that DPR is inhabited by Testographers more than Photographers. The blue he speaks of was probably something I tweaked improperly in post.

I don't use bridge at all in Photoshop. Never liked it. I just find the file I want to work on and save the edit with a different name, never modifying the orignal.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I don't use bridge at all in Photoshop. Never liked it. I just find the file I want to work on and save the edit with a different name, never modifying the orignal.
I don't really like Bridge much either, but I've found that it's easier to pick the photo I'm looking for looking there than in Finder. Also, I use it to rotate photos that are taken in portrait format, since I don't use in-camera rotate. It's also a nice tool to use when adding a set of EXIF data (copyright info, keywords, location etc.) to a whole folder in one go.

Let me bore you with two more....

I have the good fortune of being able to use a balcony at the intersection of Toulouse and Bourbon Streets during Mardi Gras.. it's a great vantage point to watch people and shoot from above.

This year's celebration was a mix of rain, fog and sun... this shot was interesting to me because of the fog in the distance as I looked east on Toulouse Street towards the Mississippi River.

And here is one of a group that refers to themselves as The Departed Spirits.. easy to see why.

Both with the K5 IIs

raist3d

All of my cameras are silver ... :toocool:
:D

And thanks for the link, Jim.
Nice group.

Kind regards.
I can say that I also like black cameras, but that's mainly because they are more invisible in street life.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Here we go...

OMG LOL. You should see the Sigma forum over there. But to that forum's credit, there's a surprising amount of lurkers that actually can take a photo. But they are not the vocal minority that all they seem to fantasize about is sharp pixels and wall to wall prints.

- Ricardo

Knorp

I can say that I also like black cameras, but that's mainly because they are more invisible in street life.

- Ricardo
Ha! If only I could make myself invisible, that would be something !
And no - dressing up in black won't help me ...

All the best.

One from this weekend - Last Stop

I came across this abandoned gas station near Hillsboro, Texas while searching for Texas Blue Bonnets and other wild flowers that are blooming like crazy all over Texas this time of year.

I'm not sure what occurred here. Maybe the place caught on fire and the old car was there at the time or maybe it was brought to the old gas station at a later time... at any rate, I saw it and knew I had to shoot it. It was during the "Golden Hour" which accounts for the very warm light and brilliant color.

It would have been a better shot if could have gotten both of the old gas pumps completely in the photo but I was shooting through a fence and this was the best I could do with the 16-50.

Pentax K5 IIs and DA* 16-50mm. I added just a touch of tone mapping. colors are very accurate.. it was beautiful this weekend in Texas.

California Dreamin'

A shot I took last year of the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco... just revisiting some old shots tonight. Never posted this one so thought I would share it.

Might as well throw this one in as well.. taken at an auto graveyard not far from Dallas. I love the color of the oxidized paint on these old cars.

Last edited:
Sunset On Lake Pontchartrain - New Orleans

I used Google Earth to search the shores of Lake Pontchartrain to look for something interesting to shoot when I was in New Orleans. I found what appeared to be an abandoned boat of some kind and made my way
across the lake to find it. I arrived just as the sun was beginning to set. This is the shot I was able to get before I lost the light.

Seems like I am the only one posting here lately... where have you guys gone?

Pentax K5 IIs DA* 50-135mm ISO 400 f/10 @ 1/400s