The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Excellent as usual, Jim. I'm sorry that I can't keep you company on this thread, but Pentax doesn't have a reliable distributor in this country. If they had, I would have had the K5 long ago.

MalcolmP

Hi Jim,
Really enjoying your images,quality and interesting as always.
NOT enjoying how your mk11s is making my wallet very nervous;).
A few "birds on sticks" from last weekend.Some nice detail revealing light for a change.taken with Sigma 50-500 o/s.The mk11s would have loved it I think.And an image that required next to no detail.With kit 18-50 and Tamron 70-200.
Regards
Malcolm

Last edited:
Malcolm,

I'm not a birder but I do enjoy looking at bird shots... I really like that Tree Hugger shot.. that is my kind of photography.. well done.
Jim

Oak Alley Plantation

Not too far from New Orleans is one of the most beautiful southern mansions you will ever wish to visit. Oak Alley Plantation is amazing. I have seen photos of it before but wanted to shoot it myself. Shot with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50.

You can read about it here.

Knorp

Re: Oak Alley Plantation

Not too far from New Orleans is one of the most beautiful southern mansions you will ever wish to visit. Oak Alley Plantation is amazing. I have seen photos of it before but wanted to shoot it myself. Shot with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50.
A stately mansion indeed and captured beautifully.
Those 300 year oaks are magnificent as well.

Jim, out of curiosity - where did you focus and what f-stop ?

TIA

All the best.

Knorp

ENNALYT 1:4/24mm WA-macro (Enna Munich), minimum focus distance is approximately 7.0" or just under 0,18mtr.
Though I have this lens for quite a while I actually never used it.
Reason is that it doesn't lock properly, it just doesn't snap in to place.
Anyway, I took out for a spin today.
It's perhaps not super sharp and contrasty, but found myself pleasantly surprised nonetheless.

Re: Oak Alley Plantation

A stately mansion indeed and captured beautifully.
Those 300 year oaks are magnificent as well.

Jim, out of curiosity - where did you focus and what f-stop ?

TIA

All the best.
Focus was on the last tree arch at f/8.. I figured that would keep everything in decent focus/DOF.

Knorp

For Tom just for fun a few snaps with the 50/1.2 wide open.
Honestly I'm not particularly happy with these shots as the DOF is just so shallow it looks like nothing is in focus.
Still, good fun .. :p

For Tom just for fun a few snaps with the 50/1.2 wide open.
Honestly I'm not particularly happy with these shots as the DOF is just so shallow it looks like nothing is in focus.
Still, good fun .. :p
I like those shots.... I have a Minolta 58mm f/1.2 that is really good for subject isolation and the bokeh is smooth as butter... but as you said, unless everything is on the same plane and you are at the correct distance from the subject it doesn't not work as well as possible.... I had hopes that the Minolta would work on my K5 but it seems it is one of the few lenses that has physical issues with the K5. It is outstanding on my GH2 and the X-Pro1.

Take a look here at the lens..

Knorp

I like those shots.... I have a Minolta 58mm f/1.2 that is really good for subject isolation and the bokeh is smooth as butter... but as you said, unless everything is on the same plane and you are at the correct distance from the subject it doesn't not work as well as possible.... I had hopes that the Minolta would work on my K5 but it seems it is one of the few lenses that has physical issues with the K5. It is outstanding on my GH2 and the X-Pro1.

Take a look here at the lens..
Quite some lens for sure, Jim.
Reading that article the conversion to whatever mount is no small feat.
Too bad it won't mount to your K5, but I reckon on your X-Pro1 it delivers the goodies in bucket loads.
Care to share a link ?

All the best.

Quite some lens for sure, Jim.
Reading that article the conversion to whatever mount is no small feat.
Too bad it won't mount to your K5, but I reckon on your X-Pro1 it delivers the goodies in bucket loads.
Care to share a link ?

All the best.
Only one photo online at this time... you may have seen it. I shot it at f/2.8 because the DOF would have been to shallow at f/1.2 being that close to the subject.

Shot with available light coming through a window.
Fuji X-Pro1 - Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/2.8 ISO 400 1/240s

Knorp

Only one photo online at this time... you may have seen it. I shot it at f/2.8 because the DOF would have been to shallow at f/1.2 being that close to the subject.

Shot with available light coming through a window.
Fuji X-Pro1 - Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/2.8 ISO 400 1/240s
LOL - yes I've seen this portrait many times before, shot with as many cameras !
But it's looking fab and I think you really have an outstanding lens here.
Thanks and please do remind me when you have some more shots on line, Jim.

Kind regards.