The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

LOL - yes I've seen this portrait many times before, shot with as many cameras !
But it's looking fab and I think you really have an outstanding lens here.
Thanks and please do remind me when you have some more shots on line, Jim.

Kind regards.
I'll try to get some more samples online. I look at it as a specialty lens and not one that I carry in the bag all the time.. and to be honest, I bought it for one reason.. extreme low light/shallow DOF use. I have a ND filter for it somewhere but have not been able to find it... when I do, I'll take it out for a spin in daylight hours.

I tried to buy this lens on several eBay auctions and got out bid at the last second every time.. I finally just found a buy it now opportunity and bought it. It is a lens that is in demand.. video guys are snapping them up as soon as they become available.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: One from this weekend - Last Stop

I came across this abandoned gas station near Hillsboro, Texas while searching for Texas Blue Bonnets and other wild flowers that are blooming like crazy all over Texas this time of year.

I'm not sure what occurred here. Maybe the place caught on fire and the old car was there at the time or maybe it was brought to the old gas station at a later time... at any rate, I saw it and knew I had to shoot it. It was during the "Golden Hour" which accounts for the very warm light and brilliant color.

Crazy, Pompeï like, situation here. Looks like the guy left the door open to pay, buy a snack and off he goes! Oops no wheels.

Wondefull shots on fine locations you are doing, Jim. My compliments!

Michiel

Railroad Fans... here's one for you!

This old steam locomotive has been sitting in the barn for 3 years due to a busted piston. I stopped by today to see if any progress had been made and she was alive with steam ready to roll out this weekend for the first time in 3 years in Grapevine, Texas.

Taken with the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm Post in Photoshop CS6

And one more in B&W

You can't shoot these old locomotives without doing a B&W conversion... it just ain't right... so here is a B&W from a different angle.

Roll Out Day for Puffy

Today was the official roll out day for the old locomotive after the repairs. I arrived at the engine barn around 7:30am and spoke with the guys who had been working on it for the last three years and asked if I could get a group shot of them with the locomotive (Puffy is its name), they obliged me and I told them I wanted to do something that looked "Old School".. here is the result of that effort.

seakayaker

Beautiful photographs Jim!

I hope that you and your family, friends, neighbors and the rail yard staff escaped the recent tornado activity in the Dallas area.

Beautiful photographs Jim!

I hope that you and your family, friends, neighbors and the rail yard staff escaped the recent tornado activity in the Dallas area.
We did but it was a scary night.. I had a constant eye on the local TV coverage of the storm as moved through the area. The devastation left behind by that storm is hard to believe. It looks like a war zone.

seakayaker

First day with the K5IIs . . . . .

Magnolia to Olympic Mountains Out of Camera Jpeg, only modification was reduction in size.

Same picture with modifications to reduce the haze made in PS6 with NIK plug in.

PENTAX K-5 II s ~ smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited ~ 1/250 sec; f/13; ISO 200

tsjanik

First day with the K5IIs . . . . .

Magnolia to Olympic Mountains Out of Camera Jpeg, only modification was reduction in size.

Same picture with modifications to reduce the haze made in PS6 with NIK plug in.

PENTAX K-5 II s ~ smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited ~ 1/250 sec; f/13; ISO 200
The 2nd really shows the beauty of the region. I fell in love with the Pacific NW when I first drove through in 1973. You are fortunate to live there.

One from today.. Turner Falls, Oklahoma

A friend and I drove from Dallas to Oklahoma City today to check out the tornado damage in that area. On the way back we stopped at Turner Falls in Davis, OK and I took this shot in the late afternoon sun using the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm
ISO was 200 f/8 @ 1/250s. This is a shot of the section above the 75 ft waterfall which is the main attraction of Turner Falls.

Note, I did not sharpen this photo. At f/8 (with the DA* 16-50) the K5 IIs just does not seem to need any sharpening.

Had I had my tripod with me and the appropriate ND filter I would have tried for one of those lovely milky, running water shots.. maybe next trip up there.

And here is a shot taken from an outlook about a quarter of a mile or more away from the falls...(I'm a bad judge of distance) This one was taken with the DA* 50-135mm

If you would like to read more about Turner Falls, click here.

Last edited: