The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

seakayaker

Watched a game of Beep Ball (Blind Baseball) where the participants are visually impaired. To make the game equal to all since some have limited sight they all wear blinders. The ball emits a beeping sound which they use to locate the ball and then swing the bat to hit. If they hit the ball they run to a foam padded object up the first or third base lines which emits a buzzing sound. The runner must reach and touch the object prior to one of the players in the field picking up the ball. If the runner reaches and touch the object prior to a fielder picking up the ball, which they locate by sound, then they score a run. If the fielder picks up the ball prior to runner touching the object then the runner is out. When the hitter is at the plate they have the ball pitched to them five times and are allowed one ball to pass without swinging. They must swing the other four times. They miss four times and it is an out. After three outs the other team gets up to bat. Also, if the ball is hit it must travel at least 40 feet, otherwize it is considered a foul ball strike. The pitcher is a volunteer for the team that is up to bat who is not visually impaired and do their best to place the ball over the middle of the plate.

It was a fun game to watch and the players had a great time playing.

The teams were Seattle, WA vs Spokane, WA

Pitching the ball

About to Swing at Pitch

Hitting a Ball

Running to Base

K5IIs ~ SMC FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

Last edited:

Knorp

Perhaps a tad underexposed and too 'warm', still I love the way this butterfly blends into its surroundings.

Oh, did I say it was windy ? Boy, was it windy !

MalcolmP

The Malvern Hills in Worcestershire,famous for lots of reasons-fabulous walking,views,Edward Elgar etc.and water.From the hills to the bottle,depending on which well, sometimes filtered.
This shot may get printed A1:eek: as part of a local exhibition.
Never done that with the K5,I'm sure it will stand it,atleast better than the image:).
Regards
Malc

Last edited:
Shooting Stars with the K5 IIs

Shooting Stars: From dusk Friday night until dawn of Saturday morning I was at Fort Griffin, Texas armed with my camera and tripod shooting the night sky for the very first time as a serious effort.

Those who never venture out of the cities and all of the light pollution, have no idea what exists in the heavens above them. The night sky is amazing and blazing with more stars than you could ever imagine.

These photos were 15 to 30 second exposures. I'm pretty happy with what I got for my first time out shooting stars at a Dark Skies site. You'll have view them full size to see the detail.

These were all shot with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm at f/2.8 for the most part. I have a lot to learn about shooting the night sky, any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Knorp

Jim, for a first time these are looking very good, especially nr 3 is wonderful. No experience here shooting stars, just too much light pollution where I live, but back in '83 when I worked and lived for 6 months in South Africa, I was pretty much impressed by what the night skies revealed.

Did you think of trying the 43 or 31 ?

Kind regards.

Jim, for a first time these are looking very good, especially nr 3 is wonderful. No experience here shooting stars, just too much light pollution where I live, but back in '83 when I worked and lived for 6 months in South Africa, I was pretty much impressed by what the night skies revealed.

Did you think of trying the 43 or 31 ?

Kind regards.
Thanks.. no, only used the 16-50 as I wanted the widest field of view I could get. I had both the 45 and 31 with me but they stayed in the bag.

I've got to get a super wide angle for this kind of stuff... and learn to reduce noise better than I did in these shots.

Knorp

Thanks.. no, only used the 16-50 as I wanted the widest field of view I could get. I had both the 45 and 31 with me but they stayed in the bag.

I've got to get a super wide angle for this kind of stuff... and learn to reduce noise better than I did in these shots.
What about a fish-eye lens ?
That would be something !

Kind regards.

Knorp

Thank you so much Roy. You're obviously my most loyal supporter ... :salute:

:grin:
Kind regards.

Knorp

Absolutely wrong WB selection here: but isn't it wonderful ?
The real thing is just boring beyond belief ... :p

| APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm |

Knorp

Jono, too many likes, too much honour ... :salute:
As for being tempted: you still have this excellent Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/60mm and I'm sure it will do splendid on your M.
What's more, you even have the choice of black or silver ... :poke:

:p

All the very best.