The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Seems like a very small universe of K5 folks here. I was wondering why there are not more frequent posts and photos regarding this camera. The obvious answer is market share but then again other Pentax forums seem to have a bit more "life" stirring.

Anyone have any insight as to the low population here?

tsjanik

Seems like a very small universe of K5 folks here. I was wondering why there are not more frequent posts and photos regarding this camera. The obvious answer is market share but then again other Pentax forums seem to have a bit more "life" stirring.

Jim:

There may be fewer K-5 users than some other cameras, but I suspect a lack of posts has more to do with the age of the camera than anything else. The K-5 forum was quite active when the camera was new and the K-5II is not different enough. Look at the Canon forum; surely a larger user base, but no new posts for 2 days as I write this. The Nikon forum is very active, but the D800 is still fairly recent.
For whatever reason, equipment always seems to generate the most posts and this forum is organized based on the camera used. As the equipment ages there is not much more to say, except for the Leica forum :)

Anyway, love your work and the colors you get from the K5, so please keep posting.

Tom

PS. I haven't used my K5 for awhile, but my wife picks it up sometimes. She is not a photographer and claims to know nothing about the process; nonetheless, she seems to know where to stand and when to press the shutter. Example attached which I find very mysterious and is certainly nothing I would have seen.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Regarding the "low population" of K5 users and K5 postings...it's not the quantity, but the quality of the posts...as long as Bart, Jim, Trygve, Vladimir, Seekayaker, and Rich M are posting their images, the quality remains outstanding...no matter the quantity. My apologies to any other first rate people that I may have overlooked in my comments.I look forward to the postings each day, knowing that my day is going to be brightened by someone's fine images.

Roy Benson

raist3d

Part of what tsjanik said. Look at the thread and look at the posters at the beginning. Look at how many "upgraded." After that they "upgraded" twice again. And a lot of them will "upgrade" in 6-8 months *again*.

You stuck with the K-5 or variant. That's the difference. I still have my K-5 but I am going to sell it in favor for the Fuji system, but I don't think nor see the K-5 is a bad DSLR at all, just a matter of matching personal preferences.

And I thought I would stop shooting with the Q but the opposite is happening.

-= Ricardo

MalcolmP

A few from me from a recent trip to the Isle of Harris in the Hebrides.
Beautiful place in every way and I shall go back there for sure!
Regards
Malcolm

VladimirYo

Re: I got lucky again... Meteor & Milky Way

I spent all of Friday evening and early Saturday morning (about 3am) shooting from various locations in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma.
Pentax K5 IIs with the DA* 16-50mm Post work in Photoshop CS6.
Hi Jim. I'm thinking to get something like 16-50. Can you tell me, are you happy with this lens? 18-55 AL II often upset me.
Thank you :)

Re: I got lucky again... Meteor & Milky Way

Hi Jim. I'm thinking to get something like 16-50. Can you tell me, are you happy with this lens? 18-55 AL II often upset me.
Thank you :)
Yes, I am quite happy with the 16-50.. it seems I use it more than any other lens I own. The AF motor failed on me but has been repaired and no problems in over a year now. Just wish it was 10-50mm :) Sometimes I really need to go wider.

Part of what tsjanik said. Look at the thread and look at the posters at the beginning. Look at how many "upgraded." After that they "upgraded" twice again. And a lot of them will "upgrade" in 6-8 months *again*.

You stuck with the K-5 or variant. That's the difference. I still have my K-5 but I am going to sell it in favor for the Fuji system, but I don't think nor see the K-5 is a bad DSLR at all, just a matter of matching personal preferences.

And I thought I would stop shooting with the Q but the opposite is happening.

-= Ricardo
I have had better results from my K5 IIs than then Canon 5D and MK II variant. While I also own and use the X-Pro1 I find the K5 IIs to be my go to camera 90% of the time.

I use the X-Pro1 when I want to travel light. I still wish the AF were snappier on the X-Pro1. It's just not there yet and neither is the EVF. I still prefer looking through a lens rather than looking at an EVF.

Jim:

There may be fewer K-5 users than some other cameras, but I suspect a lack of posts has more to do with the age of the camera than anything else. The K-5 forum was quite active when the camera was new and the K-5II is not different enough. Look at the Canon forum; surely a larger user base, but no new posts for 2 days as I write this. The Nikon forum is very active, but the D800 is still fairly recent.
For whatever reason, equipment always seems to generate the most posts and this forum is organized based on the camera used. As the equipment ages there is not much more to say, except for the Leica forum :)

Anyway, love your work and the colors you get from the K5, so please keep posting.

Tom
Tom, you are probably right. I can't find much fault with the K5 IIs so I will be sticking with it for a while. I guess GearHeads abound on most of these forums.. I'm just more into the photography than the gear.

Sunset on the Texas Prairie

Took this two weeks ago and just getting around to working on it a bit. The usual combo: Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50.

It was beautiful out there on the prairie in west Texas. Sun was setting, a gentle breeze and a quiet you never experience in the city.

May be a little dark, I'm still stuck with this crappy monitor. It always looks right here but when I view on my monitor at work it always seems dark.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Lawn guys pile up trash for Thursday AM pickup...neighbors stop and stare as I snap my way through the pile. Sigma 70/2.8 macro w/K5IIs.

Last edited:

Knorp

Lawn guys pile up trash for Thursday AM pickup...neighbors stop and stare as I snap my way through the pile. Sigma 70/2.8 macro w/K5IIs.
May I suggest to aim for your neighbours next time ... :p
Still, you make the best out of your surroundings.
Keep going, Roy :thumbup:

Kind regards.

Knorp

Impressive image of an impressive animal, Malcolm.
I like the processing, too.

All the very best.

Knorp

From the harbour ...

View on the TATA steelworks.

Wished I was on that ferry to Newcastle (upon Tyne) on my way to Scotland.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Trash pile revisited...looking for the little red flowers. Tucked into the cuttings were clusters of little red flowers surrounded by red buds...all battered and torn, but with eye-catching color. All with 70/2.8 Sigma macro and 5KIIs.

Last edited: