The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Knorp

Very nice set, the red nuts are quite nice, but my favorite is the green growth finding life in the crack of the stone!
+1 I've to agree with Dan: well seen and a fine composition, Roy.
And nothing beats autumn colours ... :)

Kind regards.

Knorp

A new orchid appeared on our porch, and I did not realize its true nature until I photographed it
:ROTFL: This happened to me too a few years ago.
I visited an orchid nursery, took some photos, only to realise back home that many were fake :shocked:
Admittedly, they were beautifully crafted and in the dim light looking better than the real thing !

All the best.

seakayaker

Another Friday night on a walkabout with a group for some night photography.

West Point Lighthouse Property, Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited ~ ISO 100 ~ 334 sec ~ F11

seakayaker

West Point Lighthouse Property, Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ 31mm F1.8 Limited ~ ISO 100 ~ HDR 3 images 144 Sec @ f9 ~ 246 Sec @ f9, 339 sec @ f9

The Heavens in west Texas

I spent the weekend in west Texas shooting Caprock Canyon during the day and night...and while the vistas were amazing during the day it was the night sky that made my jaw drop. This photo was taken near Lake MacKenzie, Texas.

Lake Mackenzie is located in Briscoe County, Texas 12 miles northwest of Silverton and 27 miles east of Tulia, pretty much in the middle of nowhere but just what I was looking for. The night sky was amazing and the rock formations brought to mind photos I have seen of Monument Valley. I did not expect to see this in Texas. The only illumination was by a very bright half moon. The rocks are so red they almost don't look real. This was about a five hour drive from my home in Dallas.

Gear Used: Pentax K5 IIs DA* 16-50mm ISO 800 15sec exposure at f/3.5

And here is one of the same formation from a different vantage point taken earlier in the evening....

Last edited:

seakayaker

Beautiful landscapes with the night sky!

Love those clear Texas skies, how is the night time temperatures? . . . . . still warm?

I finally tried Painting with Light...

This truly was fun with the Pentax K5 IIs.

Abandoned In Texas - Painting With Light: I have wanted to try this (painting with light) for a long time but never did so until this past weekend.

I found this old abandoned building at a crossroad out in west Texas. There is small billboard behind the structure lit by some kind of light, probably fluorescent. I placed a couple of small battery powered LED lights inside the building to light up the interior. The LEDs were covered with an orange gel and then I took the shot... a 10 second exposure at f/4 to bring in the night stars as well. There is just so much you can do with night photography.. great fun.

And one more from the same night.. a structure next to the gate of an old ranch. One LED was placed inside the structure with a green gel.

Last edited:

seakayaker

Nice work with the light painting and agree that it is great fun being out and about at night with a camera and a tripod.

The two house shots above were taken after first opening the shutter and a few of us walking around the back of the house shining some flashlights in the back windows for a period of time during the exposures.

seakayaker

West Point Lighthouse Beach, Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ 31mm F1.8 Limited ~ ISO 100 ~ HDR 5 images 67 Sec @ f8, 51 Sec @ f8, 37 sec @ f8, 20 Sec @ f8, 11 sec @ f8

seakayaker

Steel Wool on the Beach, West Point Lighthouse Beach, Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ 31mm F1.8 Limited ~ ISO 100 ~ HDR 3 images 12 Sec @ f11 ~ 71 Sec @ f11, 96 sec @ f11

Elliot

Jim,

Those Caprock Canyon photos are exquisite. Either that or I really have an amazing monitor. :)

I like the use of light in the other two photos as well, especially the first one.

Thanks for sharing these works.

Elliot

Jim,

Those Caprock Canyon photos are exquisite. Either that or I really have an amazing monitor. :)

I like the use of light in the other two photos as well, especially the first one.

Thanks for sharing these works.

Elliot
Thanks, Elliot.. I've just started doing night photography in the last three months or so Caprock Canyon has wonderful dark skies and great terrestrial features to use in the foreground. The light painting this weekend was my first attempt and I kept it simple. Hope to get out this weekend and do some more.

Jim