The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Knorp

Mmm, I don't think there is such an adapter, Woody.
The register size due to the mirror box is not in favor of M-lenses.
Better get yourself a Sony A7r instead ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

woodyspedden

Thanks Bart

I thought as much but I wanted to be sure.

I am not at all sold on the A7R at this point so I guess I will just wait to see how the dust settles

Anyway,thanks for taking the time to respond

Woody

Bug Tussle, Texas.. a beautiful little ghost town.

Every picture tells a story.. so the song goes. This one is no exception. Let me tell you about it.

This is the last remaining original structure of Bug Tussle, Texas. I stumbled across this town's history while researching Texas ghost towns that were within a relatively short driving distance from my home in Dallas. It took an hour and a half to get there.

Here's a bit of the history of Bug Tussle, Texas: Bug Tussle is at the junction of Farm Road 1550 and State Highway 34, ten miles south of Honey Grove and five miles north of Ladonia in southeastern Fannin County, Texas. The community was initially called Truss, after John Truss, who settled there. It was founded in the 1890s and had a post office in 1893–94. Later the town's name was changed to Bug Tussle. At least three explanations exist for this unusual name. The most popular is that the name commemorated an invasion of bugs that spoiled a church ice cream social. A variation on this anecdote suggests that the relatively isolated spot, long popular as a site of Sunday school picnics, offered little else for picnickers to do after they ate than watch the bugs tussle. A third story tells of an argument between two old-time residents who wanted to change the name of the town. Their attention was diverted by the spectacle of two tumblebugs fighting. "Look at those bugs tussle," one reportedly remarked, thus settling the argument and rechristening the town. More than seventy Bug Tussle highway signs have been stolen over the years, and for a time it was fashionable for couples to come there to be married, just so that they could say they had been wed in Bug Tussle. In 1990 its population was reported as fifteen.

The building is the only remaining structure of the original Bug Tussle. During the Great Depression, Judge James Bates Fink established a Justice of the Peace court in the store (hence the name "Judge Fink Groceries"), where he performed marriages for any couple that showed up at Bug Tussle wanting to tie the knot. Judge Fink reportedly charged only a dollar for his services, and he may have married thousands of couples in the little general store as word spread that Judge Fink performed the cheapest marriages in Fannin County.

About the photo...
I took the photo below on October 23, 2013. I was looking for a place to practice my night sky photography and the use of LEDs for lighting. The night was very clear with the moon to rise after 10pm. The green cast on top of the roof and the side of the building is from a security light at a residence about 300 yards away. the only other light sources are from a passing car on highway 34 that briefly washed the building with its headlights. The interior of the building was illuminated by three amber LEDs I placed just inside the door of the old building. The rest was starlight and moonlight. The Little Dipper (I think) is just above the peak of the roof and the glow of the rising moon is to the left of the store through the trees. After the moon rose the light was just too bright to shoot anymore.

The exposure time was 20 seconds at ISO 800 using the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm lens at f/2.8. The photo suffers from slight star trails and coma.. still trying to figure out how to get around the star trails without going to a much higher ISO and the resulting noise that would produce. Post-work was done in LightRoom 5 and Photoshop CS6. Hope you like it.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Not always a good idea to share pics after Jim's images have been posted...but here goes...43mm/K5IIs...going from Jim's spectacular night scenes to abstractions from sections of rotting fence.

Last edited:
Not always a good idea to share pics after Jim's images have been posted...but here goes...43mm/K5IIs...going from Jim's spectacular night scenes to abstractions from sections of rotting fence.
No, no, no... nothing wrong with that at all. I shoot all kinds of stuff so I can certainly appreciate rotting fences.. in fact, I enjoy shooting buildings in a state of decay.. that was the main reason for visiting that old building in Bug Tussle. Have a clear sky and a beautiful star-field just make it a two fer!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jim: I'm sorry...I guess I could have explained better...it has nothing to do with the subject of the image, it has to do with posting images in thumbprint form right under a large image...a spectacular large image at that. My eyes (and I'm sure most of the thread-ites) would naturally go to the larger images. The images you share are wonderful and I wouldn't dream of doing anything to take the gloss off of them...it wasn't the subject matter.

Roy Benson

Jim: I'm sorry...I guess I could have explained better...it has nothing to do with the subject of the image, it has to do with posting images in thumbprint form right under a large image...a spectacular large image at that. My eyes (and I'm sure most of the thread-ites) would naturally go to the larger images. The images you share are wonderful and I wouldn't dream of doing anything to take the gloss off of them...it wasn't the subject matter.

Roy Benson
Roy, I always click on the smaller images.. I assume everyone else does as well. ... and thanks for the kind words.

Knorp

One of my first forays with a shift lens, the Asahi SMC Pentax Shift 1:3.5/28mm.
Heavy and build like a tank comes with three internal filters: skylight, yellow and red (for b/w).
And focuses as close as 0,3 mtr.

Abandoned in Sunset, Texas

I spotted this old car and many others in a field in Sunset, Texas. I made my way to the house on the property and asked the owner if I might photograph it. He said, "Sure but watch out for the snakes!"

The sun was setting, which was appropriate, as the little community is called Sunset, Texas. The drive was a little over an hour or so from my home in Dallas.

When I photograph old cars such as this I can't help but wonder who owned it, how much pride they felt in owning it when it was new, how many Sunday drives were taken with it and how it came to be sitting in field, rusting away, year after year.

I'm always thankful for finding these relics from the past when the light is right and I can take my time and enjoy the old car, possibly as much as the first owner, if but for just a few minutes on an October day at Sunset.

benroy

Subscriber Member
For Bart: looking for lizards...1st pic: 300FA...2nd and 3rd pics: 120 645 macro...4th pic: 100 macro...all with K5IIs...
645 lenses adapt well to the K5 system...all stop down manual focus, but very sharp.

Last edited:

MalcolmP

:salute:So much good work above!
I went storm chasing here in the UK yesterday..
K5 with Tamron 70-200F2.8.
Bring on K3(when I've got the spare cash).
Regards
Malc.

Knorp

Wow that wave and what a fantastic light, Malcolm.
You're a brave man and I wonder how you managed to keep you're camera steady.
I chickened out and stayed home not risking to get my equipment sand blasted.

Kind regards.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Wow, Malcolm! What a great shot of the crashing surf...Please provide a landmark of some kind so we can tell where you were.

Roy Benson

Rich M

Magnificent wave shot Malcolm.

I was watching CNN International last night and it looked epic. Unbelievable capture.

K5 in it's element.