The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

seakayaker

Lots of us would like to see a full frame Pentax, but Pentax painted themselves into a corner when they stopped production of the FA lenses and switched to DA. So I fear it may be sometime before the full frame body appears, where they would have to compete head on with Canon, Nikon and Sony. Pentax also offers the 645D/Z as a better alternative to full frame.

Tom

I do hope they make the leap and produce a full frame, if not that is OK. I have the M9 to fall back on for the time being. Some where alone the line I read the M9 was good for about 150,000 images, that would mean I still may have a lot of life left in this full frame camera, perhaps a lifetime.

The 645D/Z is a very attractive option, but one that I do not see myself being able to make that kind of investment of $7000.00 (D) / $8500.00 (Z) plus lenses.

I am very happy with the K5IIs and would be very happy to own a K3. The K3 wold be a good fit since I have the lenses and it is a very reasonable priced camera.

Just need to practice a little patience.

seakayaker

If I see IQ between 5dIII and Pentax K5IIs I am not that sure I really would need a ff Pentax.
What I would wish for are 1 or 2 more faster primes for the K5/K3 with a traditional focal length/FOV.
Specially a fast high quality 35mm equivalent lens, and a fast 50mm equivalent lens. And some lenses with faster AF.

On the other side there is no other brand which offer such nice, small, solid build primes like the Pentax ltd. lenses.
I agree with you regarding the lenses.

I would love to see a fast wide 21 to 25mm FF to go with your request for a fast high quality 35mm equivalent lens.

seakayaker

Mount Rainer from Greenwood Ave N & N 75th St., Phinney Ridge Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/200 ~ f11

seakayaker

It's all Greek to Me @ Yannis on Greenwood Ave N, Phinney Ridge Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 400 ~ 1/125 ~ f4.5

Knorp

Pretty sharp but the OOF area seems a bit nervous to me, Dan.
But I'd like to see what this lens is supposedly designed for ... :p

Kind regards.

seakayaker

Irises at the Waters Edge, Gas Works Park, Lake Union, Wallingford Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 100 ~ 1/400 ~ f5.0

seakayaker

Block of Wood at the Waters Edge, Gas Works Park, Lake Union, Wallingford Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 100 ~ 1/160 ~ f11

Knorp

As seen from the IJdijk / Schellingwoude (north of Amsterdam)

(too tight for keystoning)

| PENTAX-FA 1:2.8 20mm |

seakayaker

View from 9th Floor ~ Ninth & Jefferson Building ~ Harborview Medical Center ~ First Hill Neighborhood ~ Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR

Knorp

Walking along the 'Spiegelplas' Ankeveen (with some more to come)

| PENTAX DA* 1:2.8 200mm | 1.7x T/C |

seakayaker

Fishermen & the Blue Heron, Green Lake, Green Lake Crew Dock Area, Green Lake Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

The Blue Heron would move in each time one of the fisherman landed a fish. They would move their arms and get the Heron to back off, eventually they through him a fish which he took down whole in in a few seconds. Amazing hunters and eaters, the heron must have had a nest close by since it was being extremely aggressive in wanting to get some food.

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/250 ~ f11

seakayaker

Crew Practice 4 Man Boats with Coxswain, Green Lake, Green Lake Crew Dock Area, Green Lake Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/250 ~ f11

seakayaker

Crew Practice 4 Man Boats with Coxswain, Green Lake, Green Lake Crew Dock Area, Green Lake Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/125 ~ f11

Knorp

More from the 'Spiegelplas' Ankeveen - "peeping through the reeds"

| PENTAX DA* 1:2.8 200mm | 1.7x T/C |

seakayaker

View of Skykomish River from Al Borlin Park, Monroe, WA

Pentax K5IIs ~ SMC Pentax DFA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/125 ~ f8.0

Knorp

Remnants of a sewage works: an object I wanted to photograph for a long time.
Unfortunately I'm too late: previously these tanks were in the middle of a waste land.
Now they started building houses around it, hence the tight frame.

| PENTAX SHIFT 1:3.5 28mm |