The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That's some shadow recovery- Pentax K-5

raist3d

I underexposed this on purpose just as a curiosity. ISO 100.

original:

Recovered as a quick pass, no noise reduction, just recover exposure in EV's and levels (LightZone):

That is simply insane!

To me this makes a strong case to Pentax really using 14 bit data usefully in their raws. Of course as the ISO goes up the total DR goes down.

jonoslack

:ROTFL:
Well, I've seen that before on other cameras, it is good though!

most impressive

I wish I had some nightlife like that to look at.

all the best

M

meilicke

I wish I had some nightlife like that to look at.

all the best
:)

Well I often wish for the dells and fields around your neck of the woods. The grass is (almost) always greener on the other side. :ROTFL:

M

meilicke

That is simply insane!
I quite agree! To think I can now recover even more of my woefully underexposed pictures! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it is quite remarkable how quickly things are changing. My NEX is outdated! :ROTFL:

jonoslack

:)

Well I often wish for the dells and fields around your neck of the woods. The grass is (almost) always greener on the other side. :ROTFL:
Of course . . . I wouldn't really swap (or I would have swapped). If I was allowed to live anywhere, then it would be hotter and hillier than here . . but not really with more nightlife!

But I do fancy a bit of San Francisco!

jonoslack

On a similar note.

This shot was take just around sunup - the church and trees in the distance were backlit, the dog and grass in the foreground were not lit.
It's ISO 320, with some PP to bring up the foreground and improve the colour on the grass - but I'm amazed that this is possible (and to keep some detail in the sky into the bargain :bugeyes:

Like Ricardo, there's no noise reduction, just a hoick in exposure for the foreground.

clark666

Do you think that a Pentax K-5 would do better than my cheap point and shoot?

This photo was taken on December 11, 2010 in Berkeley Hills, Berkeley, CA, US, using a Samsung WB600 / VLUU WB600 / Samsung WB610

jonoslack

Do you think that a Pentax K-5 would do better than my cheap point and shoot?

This photo was taken on December 11, 2010 in Berkeley Hills, Berkeley, CA, US, using a Samsung WB600 / VLUU WB600 / Samsung WB610
Hmmm - can't really tell at that size - probably if you wanted to print it big it would be better, but at that size I guess not.

Perhaps one could turn the tables. Would you cheap point and shoot do as well as the K5 in the above situations?

all the best

clark666

I really want a camera that can take photos that can be enlarged to wall hanging size, but I am not strong enough to climb those hills and carry the thing. I can't afford a Leica or Pentax 645D, so I use small size prints.

P

photogerald

On a similar note.

This shot was take just around sunup - the church and trees in the distance were backlit, the dog and grass in the foreground were not lit.
It's ISO 320, with some PP to bring up the foreground and improve the colour on the grass - but I'm amazed that this is possible (and to keep some detail in the sky into the bargain :bugeyes:
The greatly improved DR is what I am looking forward to the most about the K-5.

If I were to try the same with my K20D I'd end up with a lot of noise in the grass.

jonoslack

I really want a camera that can take photos that can be enlarged to wall hanging size, but I am not strong enough to climb those hills and carry the thing. I can't afford a Leica or Pentax 645D, so I use small size prints.
On the basis that it's pretty light and carryable, and it's cheaper than a 645D or a Leica.
perhaps the K5 is exactly what you want?