The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 18-135 F3.5 / f5.6 WR lens

jonoslack

Hi there
Well, this lens doesn't seem to be decentered, so I thought I'd set up a tripod and take some shots at mid distance in the garden and look at what we've got.

18mm
even at f4 it's pretty good in the middle of the frame, the corners however are quite soft, the edges less so.
By f5.6 the corners have improved, and the centre is at it's best. The corners aren't really perfect until f11, when the centre has lost a little, but still perfectly useable.

24mm
Same story really, except that wide open (f4) the soft area is both smaller than at 18mm, but softer. Improved at f5.6, but not completely sharp until f11

35mm
only slightly soft corners wide open (f4.5) by f5.6 it's fine, and improves again at f8. Centre sharpness is excellent.

68mm
Wide open (f4.5) corners and centre all seem good and very sharp

100mm
Wide open (f5.6) there is again some corner softness - this seems to be more to do with curvature of field than with actual softness. There is also some CA creeping into the equation - this is very easily fixed in Aperture with a touch of the red-cyan slider. Centre sharpness still excellent.

135mm
More corner softness - which doesn't really go away when you stop down, CA is also evident, but the centre is still quite useably sharp.

So, on the basis that we don't believe in miracles (do we?), and to put things into perspective I'd sum up the performance by saying that you can get really excellent performance from this lens up to around 90mm, but you should be prepared to stop down quite a way if you want sharp corners.

Over 90mm you will get some softening of the corners and also some CA, on the other hand, shots are quite useable if the CA is corrected, and assuming that you aren't expecting miracles. Stopping down doesn't help so much at the telephoto end.

It looks like a kit lens, but it certainly doesn't feel like one! lots of metal, it feels very solid on the K5 - a lovely combination. Worth mentioning that the K5 with this lens is a tad sorter than the A55 with the 16-80 lens, a little taller and wider - but they really are very comparable in size.

I'm prepared to find horrors, but my initial impression is that this lens is really as good as one is likely to get with a 7 times zoom. Suddenly the price doesn't seem quite so out of order!

all the best

P

photogerald

Hi there
Well, this lens doesn't seem to be decentered, so I thought I'd set up a tripod and take some shots at mid distance in the garden and look at what we've got.

18mm
even at f4 it's pretty good in the middle of the frame, the corners however are quite soft, the edges less so.
By f5.6 the corners have improved, and the centre is at it's best. The corners aren't really perfect until f11, when the centre has lost a little, but still perfectly useable.

24mm
Same story really, except that wide open (f4) the soft area is both smaller than at 18mm, but softer. Improved at f5.6, but not completely sharp until f11

35mm
only slightly soft corners wide open (f4.5) by f5.6 it's fine, and improves again at f8. Centre sharpness is excellent.

68mm
Wide open (f4.5) corners and centre all seem good and very sharp

100mm
Wide open (f5.6) there is again some corner softness - this seems to be more to do with curvature of field than with actual softness. There is also some CA creeping into the equation - this is very easily fixed in Aperture with a touch of the red-cyan slider. Centre sharpness still excellent.

135mm
More corner softness - which doesn't really go away when you stop down, CA is also evident, but the centre is still quite useably sharp.

So, on the basis that we don't believe in miracles (do we?), and to put things into perspective I'd sum up the performance by saying that you can get really excellent performance from this lens up to around 90mm, but you should be prepared to stop down quite a way if you want sharp corners.

Over 90mm you will get some softening of the corners and also some CA, on the other hand, shots are quite useable if the CA is corrected, and assuming that you aren't expecting miracles. Stopping down doesn't help so much at the telephoto end.

It looks like a kit lens, but it certainly doesn't feel like one! lots of metal, it feels very solid on the K5 - a lovely combination. Worth mentioning that the K5 with this lens is a tad sorter than the A55 with the 16-80 lens, a little taller and wider - but they really are very comparable in size.

I'm prepared to find horrors, but my initial impression is that this lens is really as good as one is likely to get with a 7 times zoom. Suddenly the price doesn't seem quite so out of order!

all the best
Thanks for the detailed review. So does the corner softness bother you? Are you going to keep this lens?

This reason why this lens interests me is because the focal length seems ideal for travel and walkabout, it is compact, weather-sealed, silent and blazingly fast AF (for a Pentax). Also the IQ is said to be a step up from the kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200).

But I'm still waiting for those professional reviews ;) to see how this lens compares with my DA16-45 (which is quite good).

Arjuna

Worth mentioning that the K5 with this lens is a tad sorter than the A55 with the 16-80 lens, a little taller and wider - but they really are very comparable in size.
Which leads to the question: for their intended use(s), do you prefer the K5 or the A55, so far?

jonoslack

Thanks for the detailed review. So does the corner softness bother you? Are you going to keep this lens?
Well, as I said, I only want miracles - I don't expect them!
I'm certainly going to keep it, it seems to be an excellent walkabout lens, and in most circumstances, when you want sharp corners you can get them by stopping down a bit.
This reason why this lens interests me is because the focal length seems ideal for travel and walkabout, it is compact, weather-sealed, silent and blazingly fast AF (for a Pentax). Also the IQ is said to be a step up from the kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200).

But I'm still waiting for those professional reviews ;) to see how this lens compares with my DA16-45 (which is quite good).
Yes - I wish it started from 16mm, but apart from that it seems to be just what was required. But I always have problems with lens reviews, mostly because sample variation seems to be such a big issue.

jonoslack

Which leads to the question: for their intended use(s), do you prefer the K5 or the A55, so far?
Oh! The K5 is a much nicer camera, but then it's twice the price so it should be. I'm sticking with Sony though - the A900 is a different thing altogether, and I'm interested to see what they do next.

But I think the K5 is going to get a lot of use as an every day camera - the victim is going to be all those compacts which were never quite what I wanted.

P

photogerald

Well, as I said, I only want miracles - I don't expect them!
I'm certainly going to keep it, it seems to be an excellent walkabout lens, and in most circumstances, when you want sharp corners you can get them by stopping down a bit.
Makes sense, the focal range seems ideal for walkabout. Considering that 100-135mm might need a bit of attention, 18-100 is still a nice range (and much better than the16-45 I currently have). The WR and silent and fast AF (I'm repeating myself) are icing on the cake.

Yes - I wish it started from 16mm, but apart from that it seems to be just what was required. But I always have problems with lens reviews, mostly because sample variation seems to be such a big issue.
Yes, sample variation is definitely an issue with certain Pentax lenses. I hope the recent models are improved in this respect. Where I live we don't have very liberal return policies so I have avoided those lenses which are known to have larger sample variation as it would be a lot of hassle to try getting a subpar copy replaced.

jonoslack

Yes, sample variation is definitely an issue with certain Pentax lenses. I hope the recent models are improved in this respect. Where I live we don't have very liberal return policies so I have avoided those lenses which are known to have larger sample variation as it would be a lot of hassle to try getting a subpar copy replaced.
I guess I'm lucky in that there is a store nearby. Basically, they're replacing faulty goods, you don't have a right of return in the UK if you don't like it!
I've been taking in test shots showing soft edges, then they're sympathetic and helpful.

Paratom

I also had both but sold the A55.
IMO both handle quite well. The Pentax feels much more solid, has a more quiet shutter, but the most important differences are IMO:
1) optical viewfinder vs evf - i prefer the first (both have advantages and disadvantages)
2) lens options - Pentax just offers more options to my taste - I have however to say that both the Sony kit lens and the 16-80 Sony lens are both better IMO than the Pentax kit lens.
However the limited primes, the 50-155 and 60-250 from Pentax are great options you dont find form Sony.

P

photogerald

I guess I'm lucky in that there is a store nearby. Basically, they're replacing faulty goods, you don't have a right of return in the UK if you don't like it!
I've been taking in test shots showing soft edges, then they're sympathetic and helpful.
Yeah, those of us who have lived in North America are a bit spoiled when it comes to product returns. The big retailers will usually allow 14 days return on cameras, though in the US some places will charge a "restocking fee" (I have not seen this done in Canada).

m3photo

Thank you Jono, exactly the sort of real-life review one wishes for.
Just one question, if you do have the smaller kit-lens, is the quality about the same do you think? I'm quite pleased with my 18-55, considering it's a kit lens, and I believe the general consensus is that it's one of the better ones. I'm looking to buy the K5 bundled with the lens you've kindly given the once-over for us, once the prices drop a little more (I hope) after the new year.

jonoslack

Thank you Jono, exactly the sort of real-life review one wishes for.
Just one question, if you do have the smaller kit-lens, is the quality about the same do you think? I'm quite pleased with my 18-55, considering it's a kit lens, and I believe the general consensus is that it's one of the better ones. I'm looking to buy the K5 bundled with the lens you've kindly given the once-over for us, once the prices drop a little more (I hope) after the new year.
HI Michael
I was disappointed with the 18-55, it just didn't seem very sparkly to me, the 18-135 seems to me to be MUCH better, and it's also much better built. I notice that pentaxforums say that it's all plastic (except for the mount), but the cold weather has revealed that actually the centre part of the body seems to be metal. It's a good match with the body, and it's very small.

I took it out today in the snow, so, more later.

all the best

m3photo

HI Michael
I was disappointed with the 18-55, it just didn't seem very sparkly to me, the 18-135 seems to me to be MUCH better, and it's also much better built.
Thank you Jono. In fact my impatience led me to trawl through the other threads on the Pentax subject and I came across your answer to my query there.
I'm now officially set to purchase the K5+18-135 Kit in the new year. All I need now is to offload some gear on the Bay to pay for it :eek:.

jonoslack

Thank you Jono. In fact my impatience led me to trawl through the other threads on the Pentax subject and I came across your answer to my query there.
I'm now officially set to purchase the K5+18-135 Kit in the new year. All I need now is to offload some gear on the Bay to pay for it :eek:.
Good Luck - that's how I paid for mine as well, although most of it was financed by a leica tri-elmar that I sold here.

MPK2010

Jono, after a few days of use I must say I agree with your conclusion that the 18-135 is a step up from the kit. I still think the limiteds are best (and somehow inspiration seems more elusive when I'm using a zoom) but for an all-around bad-weather lens I think it's about all I'll need.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think I need to jump in here. I am using the 18-55 WR (kit lens) since 2 weeks now and I am very pleased with it. Maybe this statement gets more value if I mention that I also use the D700 and 24-70 and I actually (except the speed of the lens) do not notice considerable differences in IQ so far. So there seem to be obviously bad samples around, which some of you unfortunately got. I also think that the build quality is pretty good, MUCH better than comparable Nikon or Canon kit lenses!

I would have bought the 18-135 instead if it would have been offered in a kit, which unfortunately was not the case.

One of the reasons I bought the K5 was because of the limited lenses. No other vendor has a comparable lineup, especially if it comes to reasonable speed (not too fast) BUT considerably lower weight and size instead. I so far only have the DA 2.4/70, but - WOW - what a lens! I love it! I like it even more than some of the Leica M primes, mainly because in combination with the K5 this lens gives a good AF - yes I also like the AF of the K5!!! (and I compare again here to the D700 - maybe weird :confused:

I will for sure add some other limited glass (DA21, 35 Macro) and maybe even the 1.8/31. And i am thinking about the 50-135 and the 60-250 as well. and maybe also the 2.8/200. Compared to the other vendors comparable lenses the Pentax glass seems to be at least up (if not better) WRT IQ, but for a very interesting price as well as small size and weight.

So yes, the entry into Pentax was just the right decision and advice I got here in the forum.

Finally consider - instead of adding 1 M9 to my collection I can have a full K5 system with several great lenses for the same price. And what the M9 would be advanced in terms of high speed primes can be easily made up by the much more advanced K5 sensor with excellent higher ISO!

This is the answer of a HAPPY PENTAX CAMPER :)

P

photogerald

I think I need to jump in here. I am using the 18-55 WR (kit lens) since 2 weeks now and I am very pleased with it. Maybe this statement gets more value if I mention that I also use the D700 and 24-70 and I actually (except the speed of the lens) do not notice considerable differences in IQ so far. So there seem to be obviously bad samples around, which some of you unfortunately got. I also think that the build quality is pretty good, MUCH better than comparable Nikon or Canon kit lenses!
Hi Peter, it sounds like you got a good copy of the 18-55. With regards to the Nikon 24-70, it's funny you should mention that lens as I've seen photos taken with it on a D700 @ 24mm and I was surprised (and also bothered) by the amount of distortion/smearing near the edges. They were group photos taken at a company outing and this distortion was quite apparent in the faces of the folks near the sides. I'm not sure if this is typical or if he just had a bad copy?

I realize this is not entirely a fair comparison as the 18-55 is equivalent to 27mm at the wide end in FF terms, but I know my 16-45 would've done better @ 16mm.

It's been said that FF is better for WA due to the FL multiplication factor of APS-C, but it's looking to me that in order to get good quality WA zooms in FF requires big and expensive glass. APS-C seems to be catching up in this area, the DA12-24 (same as the Tokina) is said to be quite good, as well as the recent Sigma 8-16.

But anyways, I am getting off-topic...

I would have bought the 18-135 instead if it would have been offered in a kit, which unfortunately was not the case.
I will surely get the DA18-135 with the K-5 next year.

One of the reasons I bought the K5 was because of the limited lenses. No other vendor has a comparable lineup, especially if it comes to reasonable speed (not too fast) BUT considerably lower weight and size instead. I so far only have the DA 2.4/70, but - WOW - what a lens! I love it! I like it even more than some of the Leica M primes, mainly because in combination with the K5 this lens gives a good AF - yes I also like the AF of the K5!!! (and I compare again here to the D700 - maybe weird :confused:
IMHO the DA70/2.4 is perfect for portraits. Not because of the FL, but also the small size makes it very non-intimidating.

I will for sure add some other limited glass (DA21, 35 Macro) and maybe even the 1.8/31. And i am thinking about the 50-135 and the 60-250 as well. and maybe also the 2.8/200. Compared to the other vendors comparable lenses the Pentax glass seems to be at least up (if not better) WRT IQ, but for a very interesting price as well as small size and weight.
Also don't forget the DA15 Ltd, if you're into landscapes (is there even a FF equivalent of this lens?).

So yes, the entry into Pentax was just the right decision and advice I got here in the forum.

Finally consider - instead of adding 1 M9 to my collection I can have a full K5 system with several great lenses for the same price. And what the M9 would be advanced in terms of high speed primes can be easily made up by the much more advanced K5 sensor with excellent higher ISO!

This is the answer of a HAPPY PENTAX CAMPER :)
I'm really glad to hear that the K-5 is working out for you!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@photogerald

I have not noticed this distortion on my 24-70 copy, mine seems ok or maybe I did not take similar shots.

On the size - I think APSC is getting into the sweetspot of todays sensor capabilities, great but light glass etc. Times are changing quickly and what could be achieved with FF only a few years ago moves now to APSC - but with the advantage of much lighter and hence easier useable and also cheaper equipment. Also a reason not to invest anymore in 43 as APSC cameras and lenses are even smaller, lighter today, but deliver better results. And have some more room for improvement still :)

This trend is also what is true for FF - as FF is slowly getting into the area of what MF was a few years ago. Much lighter, much more choices in bodies and lenses and much more flexibility while same or better IQ compared to MF some years ago. SO why invest any longer in MF? Good question - I do not know the answer, not even for myself, as I am still enjoying my H3D39 and even thinking to upgrade to the H4D60. But for what price - tons of money, tons of weight, tons of trouble to carry this equipment around, especially on worldwide travel. Taking a next generation D4X with 2 or 3 good zooms or primes would be much easier!

Maybe this is the sweetspot where Leica with their S2 is slowly falling into. Their sensor size is just in between FF and MF and allows for a lot of improvements with future sensor generations and processing engines. So maybe this is really the next generation MF replacement, while MF will move into the area of replacing large format.

All now slightly off topic - I know - and all speculations mostly. Anyway I am pretty happy with my K5, although no perfect camera (there is no perfect camera) but it comes pretty close to that!

Paratom

sorry if I have to say this and I do like the Pentax K5 and the Limiteds - but IMO the real benefit is size. Personally I can not see how those Pentax lenses beat good Nikon lenses optically.
I include the 24-70 here, which shows maybe some disorsion at 24mm but it is a lens fully usable even at f2.8

ptomsu

Workshop Member
sorry if I have to say this and I do like the Pentax K5 and the Limiteds - but IMO the real benefit is size. Personally I can not see how those Pentax lenses beat good Nikon lenses optically.
I include the 24-70 here, which shows maybe some disorsion at 24mm but it is a lens fully usable even at f2.8
I would not say that Pentax beats Nikon WRT lens IQ, bvut I would argue that the Pentax IQ is not worse than the Nikkor IQ - at least from the copies of lenses I have - and then what remains is definitely size and weight at very similar (or equal) IQ.

raist3d

Need your help with this lens Jono! I was thinking maybe instead of going for the DA*Gold, I could maybe use this one for wedding even, if it's sharp enough? Or that sounds like a nono?

- Raist