The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 18-135 F3.5 / f5.6 WR lens

jonoslack

Need your help with this lens Jono! I was thinking maybe instead of going for the DA*Gold, I could maybe use this one for wedding even, if it's sharp enough? Or that sounds like a nono?

- Raist
HI There
Well, I certainly think it's sharp enough - but of course, it's not very fast! Also, the fact that I got a good one first time (after two bad gold 16-50) is hardly a representative sample.

I'm not sure that I'd use it for weddings - I like to start at 24 in a zoom, and I also like to have the opportunity to limit the depth of field - so I tend to use the 24-70 f2.8 and 135 f2.8 zeiss lenses on the Sony. . . . . But I also like to have something fairly lumpy to whack Uncle Bob with :ROTFL:

On the other hand - there's certainly nothing like the 'kit lens feel' about the images I've got from this lens (it's certainly staying on the camera most of the time). It makes a delightfully well balanced package, the focusing is fast and accurate (with the slight rider you already know about), and in this country the weatherproofing would be very welcome.

I'm not being very helpful am I :eek:

jonoslack

The "kit lens feel" is exactly what I want to avoid (in images).

- Raist
Actually, it does't feel like a 'kit lens' in use either - very solid, and quite a lot of it is metal (unlike the review at pentaxforums to get this wrong).

So the only thing 'kit lensish' about it is the look I guess. The focus ring is nice and smooth, so is the zooming, it does poke out a bit at longer lengths, but it's not rattly, and there's certainly no zoom creep.
. . . . . .

P

photogerald

@photogerald

I have not noticed this distortion on my 24-70 copy, mine seems ok or maybe I did not take similar shots.
Yes, I based my comment on just a few shots so it could've been something related to the shooting conditions.

On the size - I think APSC is getting into the sweetspot of todays sensor capabilities, great but light glass etc. Times are changing quickly and what could be achieved with FF only a few years ago moves now to APSC - but with the advantage of much lighter and hence easier useable and also cheaper equipment. Also a reason not to invest anymore in 43 as APSC cameras and lenses are even smaller, lighter today, but deliver better results. And have some more room for improvement still :)
For non-professional use, I think APS-C is really all one needs.

This trend is also what is true for FF - as FF is slowly getting into the area of what MF was a few years ago. Much lighter, much more choices in bodies and lenses and much more flexibility while same or better IQ compared to MF some years ago. SO why invest any longer in MF? Good question - I do not know the answer, not even for myself, as I am still enjoying my H3D39 and even thinking to upgrade to the H4D60. But for what price - tons of money, tons of weight, tons of trouble to carry this equipment around, especially on worldwide travel. Taking a next generation D4X with 2 or 3 good zooms or primes would be much easier!
Well in order to print big one needs to shoot big. That was true with film and is true with digital (now). It will be exciting to see what kind of technology eventually breaks this rule.

raist3d

Well in order to print big one needs to shoot big. That was true with film and is true with digital (now). It will be exciting to see what kind of technology eventually breaks this rule.

The Sigma SD1 will.

- Raist

retow

@photogerald

I have not noticed this distortion on my 24-70 copy, mine seems ok or maybe I did not take similar shots.

On the size - I think APSC is getting into the sweetspot of todays sensor capabilities, great but light glass etc. Times are changing quickly and what could be achieved with FF only a few years ago moves now to APSC - but with the advantage of much lighter and hence easier useable and also cheaper equipment. Also a reason not to invest anymore in 43 as APSC cameras and lenses are even smaller, lighter today, but deliver better results. And have some more room for improvement still :)

This trend is also what is true for FF - as FF is slowly getting into the area of what MF was a few years ago. Much lighter, much more choices in bodies and lenses and much more flexibility while same or better IQ compared to MF some years ago. SO why invest any longer in MF? Good question - I do not know the answer, not even for myself, as I am still enjoying my H3D39 and even thinking to upgrade to the H4D60. But for what price - tons of money, tons of weight, tons of trouble to carry this equipment around, especially on worldwide travel. Taking a next generation D4X with 2 or 3 good zooms or primes would be much easier!

Maybe this is the sweetspot where Leica with their S2 is slowly falling into. Their sensor size is just in between FF and MF and allows for a lot of improvements with future sensor generations and processing engines. So maybe this is really the next generation MF replacement, while MF will move into the area of replacing large format.

All now slightly off topic - I know - and all speculations mostly. Anyway I am pretty happy with my K5, although no perfect camera (there is no perfect camera) but it comes pretty close to that!
Some very interesting thoughts. I'm a M9 shooter but for the last few years I tried several other sytems (DSLRs, MFT) to complement the RF, due its limitations. I start to ask myself whether the K5 with a few primes and zooms could be the all in one solution, replacing the M9 as well as a DSLR/mirrorless system. Decent IQ (or let's call it "good enough IQ"), nice user interface, not too bulky, nice compact primes, WR, good zooms, not breaking the bank etc. As a M and K5 shooter, what would you say?

jonoslack

Some very interesting thoughts. I'm a M9 shooter but for the last few years I tried several other sytems (DSLRs, MFT) to complement the RF, due its limitations. I start to ask myself whether the K5 with a few primes and zooms could be the all in one solution, replacing the M9 as well as a DSLR/mirrorless system. Decent IQ (or let's call it "good enough IQ"), nice user interface, not too bulky, nice compact primes, WR, good zooms, not breaking the bank etc. As a M and K5 shooter, what would you say?
No!
Well, actually, it could do, but although there are lots of really nice things about the pentax, and it makes a really good companion to the M9, but instead of it . . . The only thing I might replace my M9 with is an M10!

jonoslack

Re: Poke and Rain

Which prompts the question: How far can one trust the weather sealing in a case where one zooms out and back in again with rain droplets falling on it?
HI Michael
Well, I trust it - it's certainly been tested (as has the sealing on the 60-250). There don't seem to be any reports of people having leakage problems with these lenses, so I guess they're okay.

m3photo

Thank you Jono, for putting my and many others' minds at rest.

May you all have a Very Happy Christmas!

scho

Jono,

Thanks for your accurate review and testing of the 18-135. I picked up one today to complete my K5 kit which now includes the 21, 35 macro, and 70 limiteds + 18-135. The little zoom will be my foul weather walkabout lens. After using the primes all week, I noticed an immediate drop in battery charge (about 2/3) after mounting the 18-135. I assume this was due to the motor in the zoom lens, but it surprised me. Doesn't do this with a freshly charged battery. Have you noticed more battery draw with your copy of the 18-135 compared to other lenses?

First shot with the 18-135, 115mm, 1/320 sec f/5.6, ISO 1600.

Last edited: