The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More K-5 impressions....

marlof

This lingospeak leaves me cold, but colo(u)r me impressed by that K-5. Pinkish reds or not. Thanks to users like Ricardo for taking the time to share their experiences.

.... looks at camera bag wondering if he'd really want to lug a full blown DSLR around yet again ....

jonoslack

Finland was part of the Axis during the “Second Great Unpleasantness”.*

I was actually poking a little gentle dig at Jorgen (who is Norwegian); I was talking about language, not history, and I certainly didn't mean to have anything to do with any unpleasantness (whatever number it may be).

While I like your caring continuum line, and whilst I am in the same camp as you, I think anyone who starts to get dogmatic about language usage is digging themselves into a very deep hole.

:)

raist3d

As Terry suggested, not everyone has English as their first language. My first language is Spanish! I accept the correction as the urban dictionary points to couldn't care as the proper dorm. Regardless my point stands and please check then my da21/da70 thread... ;-)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Discussions about language can sometimes be useful on an international forum like this. Not only do we have different mother tongues, but we often lack knowledge of the culture behind the foreign languages that we learn. Although the meaning of a word may be easy to translate, the value of the word in the country where it has its origins may differ, which leads to misunderstandings and sometimes heated discussions without any proper reason.

Having lived in an Asian country for many years, where the cultural differences to the west are much wider, this is easy to see. Here, and I believe in the rest of the world as well, foreign languages are often taught as if they were a dialect of the local language. If the cultural differences behind the languages are small, this sometimes leads to small misunderstandings. When the difference is huge, it leads to absurd mistakes, quarrels, divorce, war and other forms of unpleasantness.

If more people kept this in mind, I'm sure the world, including some internet fora, would be a more pleasant place to be. Unfortunately, in spite of a dramatic increase in travel and communication worldwide, the opposite often seems to be the case. The human race is a peculiar one.

And as for Finns, Jono, they aren't really Scandinavians. They are great people, and some of my best friends are Finns, but most of them don't speak a Scandinavian language and don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula (Danes don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula either, but they have such a tiny country and have to belong somewhere, don't they :) ).

jonoslack

And as for Finns, Jono, they aren't really Scandinavians. They are great people, and some of my best friends are Finns, but most of them don't speak a Scandinavian language and don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula (Danes don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula either, but they have such a tiny country and have to belong somewhere, don't they :) ).
Oh Jorgen - it was only a throwaway remark - a tease - (some of my best friends are Finns too!). I also understand that Finnish is a completely separate language (FWIW).
As for the Danes - I'd often wondered about their Scandinavian credentials.
. . . . all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ok - here some more impressions!

I finally returned my K5 kit and DA70 today! Wow, thanks god!

It is a good camera, maybe with good IQ and colors, but it has its certain limitations and flaws.

Was just playing around the last few days with AF, as I started using this thing more extensively I recognized that I had severe AF problems, although I had fine tuned the AF for both lenses several times. I still got out of focus results again and again - even in good light (afternoon indoors) - situations which NEVER EVER screwed up my D700. And trying to manual focus with that OVF is just a joke, at least it does not work with my eyes anymore, while the D700 again imposed never such problems on me.

WRT resolution - well as I was warned the 18-55WR could not even come close to resolve what the sensor of the K5 can do. But especially in very low light in combination with ISO6400 the results are just for the garbage bin, even if they are in focus. But I know this is (was) my fault as everybody here told me that the kit lenses are weak. Only thing is that I had expected too much.

The DA70 was the highlight of my kit, seems to be a decent lens, although I do not like the ergos and handling of it.

Overall the K5 with lenses did not hold what I thought it could do for me. I bought it as add on to my D700 especially WRT smaller size and less weight. But the handling of it showed me that it is still pretty big compared to my M43 system and does not deliver better IQ. Yes you can get up to higher ISO but the results are then really questionable.

And yes - I know that these results could get better with better lenses (zooms), but the talking about a 50-135 or 60-250 the size gets again very big and I do not see so much advantage to Nikon FF.

Hope all who the K5 have more fun with it, for me it was a nice adventure but finally I am really happy I could just send it back and step out of this system!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Peter
Congratulations! always thought it was the wrong system for you. I hope you had a bit of fun trying it out at least.

all the best
You were right with what you like about the camera and system, just I was not happy with what I got.

Sure I had lot of fun during testing!

Maybe I will try the D7000 - AF will definitely be better, but I am no longer so sure that the 16MP on an APSC size sensor really are the latest wisdom. The pixel size already seems to really bring some of the less great lenses to their limits - especially kit lenses of course.

I might also give the GH2 a try, which at least is far smaller, but I am kind of hesitant because of the EVF. But I could try ....

I will also go now for the M9, as I found that the results I can get from this camera with the latest FW are pretty good, it is FF and I can use all my Leica M lenses (around 15) on this body. I think this will be the best investment besides a high end compact (like the GH2) - right?

jonoslack

Maybe I will try the D7000 - AF will definitely be better, but I am no longer so sure that the 16MP on an APSC size sensor really are the latest wisdom. The pixel size already seems to really bring some of the less great lenses to their limits - especially kit lenses of course.

I might also give the GH2 a try, which at least is far smaller, but I am kind of hesitant because of the EVF. But I could try ....

I will also go now for the M9, as I found that the results I can get from this camera with the latest FW are pretty good, it is FF and I can use all my Leica M lenses (around 15) on this body. I think this will be the best investment besides a high end compact (like the GH2) - right?
Well, It's certainly my favorite camera - I'm amazed you don't have one?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, It's certainly my favorite camera - I'm amazed you don't have one?
I had the M8 and I was going through all the issues one could have with the M8, including coding and calibrating all (most) of my lenses. When the M9 was announced I sold my M8 (unfortunately a bit late, so the price was down) including all my IR filters and was on the ordering list for the M9. But then I got the offer of the H3D39, which I needed at this point in time for my landscape work and so I bought the Hassi ;) which I never regret BTW!

Further I replaced my A900 (which I mainly had bought for landscape) with the D700 as I like this system more - we had that discussion.

Then I got the EP2 with kit lens and 17 and I still like tis camera better than my NEX5, which does everything better than the EP2, but I do not like it - know that feeling, right?

And since then I am in search for a small but good (in my eyes good) camera system, hence my interest in the K5 (and E5 - well this one is not really small and D7000). But the latest experience shows me clearly the limitations of higher resolution and APSC as well the limitations which you get when not using some of the advanced AF systems today (Nikon, Canon). Again, I find the K5 a great camera, I just did not want to use it any longer, as I want to use AF in such a camera and if AF fools me 30-40% then it is no longer useable for me at least. At least the D7000 would not let me down so often with its AF I am sure, but you told me that in advance :)

Now back to the M9, this is MF and "slow" depending on how you shoot with it, but as I am a long time M shooter (since M6 back in 1986 - almost 25 years :eek: - not sure if it is good to be as old :rolleyes:) I know I can get better and faster and more accurate results with an M9. And actually I want again be able to shoot my Nocti 1.0 :p

Will start negotiating a deal and will return the NEX5 in order to get at least some money funded.

jonoslack

Now back to the M9, this is MF and "slow" depending on how you shoot with it, but as I am a long time M shooter (since M6 back in 1986 - almost 25 years :eek: - not sure if it is good to be as old :rolleyes:) I know I can get better and faster and more accurate results with an M9. And actually I want again be able to shoot my Nocti 1.0 :p
I'm sure you'll love it Peter - I was out shooting with mine today -